• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there any long-suffering Rangers fans out there??? Apparently Nolan is meeting with Jon Daniels this weekend, and one of them with Ron Washington, too. If they are not both gone by Sunday, I'm going to be pissed.

but a sweep by the 'Rays was pretty f*cking painful. It is like when your 10 year old niece corrects your grammar and is smug about it.

The voice of experience speaking here?

I approve of the new trend in cream-colored alternate home unis.

I approve of the new trend in cream-colored alternate home unis.

Agreed. That was one of the things I really really dug about the Civil Rights Game... seeing the Mets in cream-colored home unis (even though the typeface for "NEW YORK" was lame).

Clemens reportedly had affair with country star

Former pitcher denies relationship with McCready was 'inappropriate'

NBCSports.com news services

updated 9:26 a.m. ET, Mon., April. 28, 2008

Roger Clemens has denied a report that he had a 10-year affair with country music star Mindy McCready, although he confirmed having a long-term relationship, his lawyer told the New York Daily News for a report Monday.

Clemens had a long affair with the country star that began when she was a 15-year-old performing in a karaoke bar and he was a 28-year-old married father of two, the Daily News reported, citing several unnamed sources.

Clemens' lawyer, Rusty Hardin, said the pitcher said the relationship was not sexual, the Daily News reported.

"He flatly denies having had any kind of an inappropriate relationship with her," Hardin said, the newspaper reported. "He's considered her a close family friend. ... He has never had a sexual relationship with her."

McCready had traveled on Clemens' plane and the pitcher's wife also knew McCready, Hardin said, the Daily News reported.

Details of the alleged affair could come out in several projects McCready is working on, including a documentary and a reality TV show, the Daily News reported.

This news could play a part in Clemens' defamation lawsuit against former trainer Brian McNamee, because part of the Rocket's suit is based on his character. That character could be damaged now by news of an extramarital affair.

Clemens is also under investigation for perjury for his testimony to Congress.

"The issue in Roger's suit against McNamee is Roger's reputation and how it has been damaged," a lawyer for McNamee, Richard Emery, said to the Daily News. "If it's proved that he's a philanderer, his reputation is already damaged. When you sue for defamation, you put your whole reputation in the community at issue. Anything is fair game, including his claim of sanctimonious purity. We would cross-examine him and other witnesses who might impact on his alleged behavior. We would probably subpoena her and witnesses who knew (of the relationship). ... All is fair game."

Clemens was with Red Sox teammates in a Fort Myers, Fla., bar when he saw McCready performing, the Daily News reported. She was just 15 but apparently caught his eye, the newspaper reported, and the two met.

Clemens continued to see McCready and support her over the years even as she was involved in an abusive relationship with another man, was briefly engaged to actor Dean Cain and nearly overdosed while pregnant, the Daily News reported. The pitcher would send bundles of cash to help McCready, the Daily News reported, citing several unnamed sources.

Agreed. That was one of the things I really really dug about the Civil Rights Game... seeing the Mets in cream-colored home unis (even though the typeface for "NEW YORK" was lame).

Teams I would like to see adopt cream-colored home alternate unis:

1. The Mets. To be honest, I'm kind of bored with the whole "Mets in Black" thing. So I propose a cream version with the original blue and orange. Maybe pinstripes, but probably not.

2. The Cardinals. With the non-cursive lettering they used back in the day.

3. The White Sox, who could use a uniform change of some kind. For good or ill, the Sox were known for their uni innovations, but it's been almost 20 years since they've had a meaningful upgrade.

4. The Mariners, with a blue-and-gold M-trident theme. I have never liked that "S" with compass.

5. The Cubs. Cubs had a lot of spectacular-looking alternate unis in the '30s - use those as a touchstone.

6. The Twins? Another team that has to do SOMETHING. At least they went back to the "TC" hats.

7. The A's, with a when-they-were-in-Philadelphia-style motif. (Blue trim, with a capital "A" and the elephant on the shirt.)