142 members have voted

1. 1. Who is a Better Songwriter?

• Jeff Tweedy
    • Bob Dylan

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Dylan is a better poet. But Jeff is a much more well rounded song writer.

Ass backwards...........................Dylan = Story Teller , Tweedy = Poet

dumb thread

dumb thread

Um that's not what I meant at all though.

Listen...I am a huge Wilco fan.

But let's get some sense of reality here.

dumb thread

Dylan is way more then a storyteller, his lyrical contents works not only in song but on the page. Most Wilco songs don't do this nearly as well, nor go nearly as deep as Dylan goes.

I'm sure Jeff is probably laughing if he reads this. I mean with all do respect, the man doesn't even grow his own beard.

I think some of us are forgetting that it's all about your own personal tastes.

I prefer Jeff's music, though I won't pretend that Dylan isn't the more important artist. Dylan has one album that is among my top 5 of all time (same number Jeff has). Bob probably doesn't have another in my top 50. Jeff's got at least 1.

Dylan probably sneaks into my top 10 songwriters of all time.

I think a lot of people are confusing "song writer" with "lyricist".

I'm not so sure about that.

Even as a really young kid I loved Dylan. Back then I didn't know anything about poetic lyrics, or even cared, or even paid attention to such details. I just found his songs to be catchy with nice melodies that stuck with me. I think Dylan's lyrical contributions often outweigh his musical ones in a lot of peoples minds, but it's the way the whole thing comes out of those speakers that makes the impact. If he didn't have the chords and melodies backing up the songs they wouldn't be nearly as affective.

I'll give you this, Mr. Tweedy's musical structures and arrangements are often more elaborate and extravagant than Dylan's, but as a listener I don't care about such things, I only care about how the song makes me feel.

Anyway you slice it they're both fantastic songwriters with a lasting legacy of wonderful songs, and comparing them is a futile and subjective exercise.

Dylan is way more then a storyteller, his lyrical contents works not only in song but on the page. Most Wilco songs don't do this nearly as well, nor go nearly as deep as Dylan goes.

Agree to a point, but rhyming every line can take some intent out of context. Yes they both have done some of each, but I see Tweedy more as obscure poet more than anything. I see comparing Dylan to Loudon, Townes, or Prine, and asking this question would make more sense. Tweedy is way out of the picture on this one.

And yes I am a Dylan freak.

When you're the only artist that can even come close to touching the legacy that the Beatles have left us, you know that there really is no contest

You must be talking about the Band. Aren't you? :P

the man doesn't even grow his own beard.

That's funny.

I personally would have to go with Jeff. He's the one I listen to more. He's the one I get more enjoyment out of. Dylan and his relevence to me seem to far removed from my generation(which would be X). Being closer to Jeff in age, I can relate to him more. Dylan's an iconic grandfather. I will continue to try and get into Dylan only because so many people whose opinions I respect revere him, but the magic hasn't clicked with me yet.

I mean, hey, I am posting on a Wilco site. I haven't even looked for a Dylan forum.

Dylan has like 30 songs that are way better than any Tweedy songs imo. BUT Dylan also has like 400 songs that are just terrible where as Tweedy doesn't have any terrible songs if you ask me.

That pretty much sums it up. Very well said.

Guest Muncle Douchey
I personally would have to go with Jeff. He's the one I listen to more. He's the one I get more enjoyment out of.

this is exactly why i voted for Jeff.

Dylan may very well be the most important songwriter ever, but Tweedy is my favorite.

for me, it really comes down to the argument of favorite vs. best that a friend and i have been having for years. and to me, favorite = best, and thus, Jeff is the best.

i feel like that makes little sense, but whatever...

Dylan could never pull off a nudie suit.

Tweedy would never grow a mustache.

Gram Parsons would do both.

I like ladies underwear, and vw's.....so tuff call.

I think we are all completely fucking wrong, except for Louie who seems to be agreeing with everyone! I miss you dude, I told Allison about a dream I had where you and I were contestants on the Price is Right, but Bob Barker was still the host.........of course after I bet $500.00 you pulled the hall of shame move and went up to $501.00! Hope to see you soon.................................Louie B .........Come On Down!

Its Alright Ma(Im only bleeding) Dylan was possesed by some spirit Im sure of it , the stuff this boy was spitting at the age of 21 was insane he was not normal.

Screen Door Jeff was a music fan and young song writer clearly the talent was their early Black Eye but his skill is more practiced.

The fair comparision would be Yankee Hotel Foxtrot vs Love and Theft, Sky Blue Sky vs Modern Times and Summerteeth vs Time out of mind

as a fan of music I think the band Wilco wins each time.

Jeff Tweedy is among the best songwriters of Generation X even better than Cobain thats enuff for now, keep them records coming

How about this Bob Dylans first 6 records vs Lenard Cohens first 6 or Neil Youngs first 6

The fair comparision would be Yankee Hotel Foxtrot vs Love and Theft, Sky Blue Sky vs Modern Times and Summerteeth vs Time out of mind

as a fan of music I think the band Wilco wins each time.

What, exactly, makes that the "fair" comparison?