142 members have voted

1. 1. Who is a Better Songwriter?

• Jeff Tweedy
    • Bob Dylan

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's kind of unfair to compare artists against each other. WHO IS BETTER VAN GOGH OR MONET??

Also kinda unfair to put anybody against Dylan or Springsteen if you ask me... :wub

Good thing I like unfair questions, especially those with polls! :cheers

With all due respect to our friend from Belleville, Mr. Dylan is THE GOLD STANDARD. There has never been, and I'm fairly certain that there will never be (in my lifetime) a better poet of the jukebox than Bob Dylan.

It's not that far fetched a comparison. They're both rock musicians, both heavily influenced by English literature and poetry, good self editors, they both like to mix it up alternating between straightforward and very obscure imagery. I think Tweedy has written songs that rank up there with the creme de la creme...but Dylan has written more of them. And Dylan was extremely productive in his 20's, obviously. We're lucky to have them both.

I'm pretty sure Jeff would vote for Dylan too.

Dylan vs. every rock/pop songwriter of the past 40 years

winner: Dylan

If the question is only about songwriters, well then they are probably about the same level (although I personally prefer Jeff by a lightyear).

But if you ask about the whole package (voice, stage performance, music), then it's Jeff by 100000000000000000000......lightyears.

The German Rollingstone magazine wrote in an article from 2002 "Jeff Tweedy writes songs at least as good as Bob Dylan's, he reminds of Bob Dylan on stage in his old wollen jumper, not talking a lot to the audience [some other stuff which I can't remember] so it's fair to say that he's Dylan's legal successor - just that Tweedy (blasphemy!!), unlike Dylan, can actually sing."

Word :thumbup

I'm pretty sure Jeff would vote for Dylan too.

Dylan vs. every rock/pop songwriter of the past 40 years

winner: Dylan

Yup...

List of The Greatest Modern Songwriters

1) Bob Dylan

2) Everyone else

Double yup....

Oh and Dylan can definitely sing.....(here is where I recommend the three volumes of Bob Dylan Performing Artist by Paul Williams...).....

LouieB

I think a lot of people are confusing "song writer" with "lyricist". I'd take Tweedy over Dylan. Yes, Dylan is a better poet. But Jeff is a much more well rounded song writer. For instance JT's melodies and dynamics are consistently better. Also I'd take Wilco arrangements over Dylan arrangements. Not to say Bob Dylan isn't a better song writer but take in account all the aspects of song writing and then try to say that Bob Dylan is better then John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Jeff Tweedy, etc etc.

It's like comparing Ovechkin to Crosby.