Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Dude, you are a brave and righteously truthful man. 

:D

Thanks, man. I literally laughed out loud at this.

I don't want to sound like I'm slamming any of these bands just because I am not a big fan. I have listened to a fair amount of the 'Mats and I thought they were all right, but didn't really get excited about them. On the Minutemen, actually, I checked out Double Nickels on the Dime from the library a few years ago and thought it was pretty entertaining. But then I asked myself, "How often am I really going to listen to this?" And the answer was, "Probably never."

I got some Husker Du this year and gave it an honest try. I just couldn't stand the guy's voice. I had the same problem with Guided By Voices. I think it's great that people love these different rock bands and are enthusiastic about them. I like a ton of stuff, but just not everything that everyone else likes. By this board's standards, I'm probably a garden variety music fan, but with 50,000 songs on my iTunes, I think in the real world most people would say I am an obsessive. Ha!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guided by voices, another band that will never be worthy of the greatness that is the R&R HOF.

Just out of curiosity because I honestly don't know.  Did Linda Ronstadt actually write any songs or is she just being inducted for being a great interpreter of them?  No question she had great pipes.  And I'm not saying it should matter as far as being inducted because there are certainly many other worthy people that didn't write songs.

Right... I get that the Replacements aren't everyone's cup of tea and that mats fans can be obnoxious about our love for them... but they were much more than just a band that played drunk.  The fact they (and Westerberg's songwriting specifically) inspired and influenced a number of artists that we Wilco fans love says something.

The thing is there are a lot of bands that can be described with those exact words, but the Replacements are the only one (well, the Clash, too) that gets you shunned if you don't bow down to them.  I find that very odd and cult like. 

If someone comes on here and says "You know, I think Television is a pretty worthless band" there wouldn't be a tenth of the backlash.

The thing is there are a lot of bands that can be described with those exact words, but the Replacements are the only one (well, the Clash, too) that gets you shunned if you don't bow down to them.  I find that very odd and cult like. 

If someone comes on here and says "You know, I think Television is a pretty worthless band" there wouldn't be a tenth of the backlash.

You are correct.

However, I think that The Mats' sound is more-easily digested than Television, which kinda makes folks who love them (like me) baffled that others don't see the same things that we do. I mean, I love Television, too. But as spiky as their sound is, it's easier for me to get how somebody might not like them.

Not so with The Replacements. 

Does that argument make sense?

postscript:

If someone came here and called Television "worthless" I would, nonetheless, loose all respect for their opinion on things musical.

You are correct.

However, I think that The Mats' sound is more-easily digested than Television, which kinda makes folks who love them (like me) baffled that others don't see the same things that we do. I mean, I love Television, too. But as spiky as their sound is, it's easier for me to get how somebody might not like them.

Not so with The Replacements. 

Does that argument make sense?

postscript:

If someone came here and called Television "worthless" I would, nonetheless, loose all respect for their opinion on things musical.

It's not about Television in particular.  I was just naming a band that is pretty widely respected.  Insert Uncle Tupelo instead and the backlash would still not be what you get for saying anything lower than the highest of praise for the Replacements. 

And for those of us who have tried to like the Replacements and found them tepid, we suck. 

You all might as well move to Florida.

Where does this backlash occur? Because I'm not seeing it here, nor have I experienced it for offering "anything lower than the highest praise" for them. 

I have been on the receiving end of it, here and in person.  I don't remember the exact comments or who they were from (I do remember the in person ones), but it was along the lines of people being so aghast that they wonder if I even like rock music at all.   It didn't hurt my feelings or anything, it's just a bizarre phenomenon that I have noticed.

Ha ha! I can't remember the last time I thought about Gibby and Co. I have a vague memory of seeing them once but am not sure.

Guided by voices, another band that will never be worthy of the greatness that is the R&R HOF.

Just out of curiosity because I honestly don't know.  Did Linda Ronstadt actually write any songs or is she just being inducted for being a great interpreter of them?  No question she had great pipes.  And I'm not saying it should matter as far as being inducted because there are certainly many other worthy people that didn't write songs.

Linda Ronstadt is being inducted because she had a great rack. That, and she's one of the most successful singers ever. She pretty much owned the 70s.

Ha ha! I can't remember the last time I thought about Gibby and Co. I have a vague memory of seeing them once but am not sure.

Great  band. WHY AREN'T THEY RECOGNIZED BY JANN WENNER AND HIS CRONIES???!!!!!???!!??

Linda Ronstadt is being inducted because she had a great rack.

Where is it now?

Went south for retirement, apparently.

If it was such a great rack, what's it doing it Florida?

So are Dash Rip Rock and Flat Duo Jets.  Where are their cults?

i dunno, I'll ask Dex next time i see him. 

part of it was likely due to Minneapolis having a pretty vibrant scene that fed off each other (Husker, Soul Asylum, etc). 

they also came after The Replacements, one has a stupid name (DRR), and neither wrote a song even remotely as good as "Unsatisfied" or "Left Of The Dial."

If it was such a great rack, what's it doing it Florida?

that's where the great racks go to die.

the ones that want a bit of rejuvenation head to LA.

Jesus, whatever about the drunken shows - you guys ever actually give a good listen to any Replacements records? Tim? Let It Be? Pleased To Meet Me? They're fucking fantastic rock albums.

I love the Replacements. Easily in my Top 10 bands of all time. I love their ragged, loose vibe. And yes, those records you reference are all great. I'd even add Don't Tell A Soul and good chunks of some others. Westerberg's voice might be my favorite rock n' roll voice ever besides McCartney. But I understand why they wouldn't get voted in the almighty Hall.

Found a good article about the Replacements and the Hall at Salon. I like the one sentence description of the band by the writer:

Their music, as a whole, is a sort of extended, glorious tribute to a particularly upper-Midwestern variety of failure.

http://www.salon.com/2013/10/17/keep_the_replacements_out_of_the_rock_hall/