Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time for another list?  20 biggest HOF snubs.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/10/the-20-worst-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-snubs/full-post/

Definitely agree about Phish, Roxy, New Order.  I love Television, wrote one of the great songs of all time, but don't think they had enough output to warrant inclusion. Same with Joy Division.  I'm no fan of metal (to put it mildly), so have no comment on those bands on the list.  I'll leave that to Mr. Tinnitus.

edit - 

I wonder if he mentioned Dale Crover

he had very kind words for dale, and all nirvanas previous drummers, including an acknowledgement that chad channing wrote some of the drum parts dave played on nevermind. he seemed to be deliberately saying chads name a bunch and pointing him out in the crowd, which i assume was a fuck you to the hall for not inducting him as well. he also dropped a slayer reference and thanked a bunch of dc hardcore folks. krist novoselic also thanked buzzo for turning him and kurt on to punk rock. stereogum posted a great picture of dan peters, dale crover, chad channing and jack endino at the ceremony but i cant find the link at the moment

ive only seen short clips of each singer but i love the choices. kurt always said he thought the future of punk rock was women so picking four generations like that was brilliant. a lot of people are gonna bitch and moan about their idea of "what kurt would have wanted," but im gonna defer to the people who knew him and say they did a great job honoring him last night

also nice to see courtney and dave/krist bury the hatchet for a bit.

Time for another list?  20 biggest HOF snubs.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/10/the-20-worst-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-snubs/full-post/

Definitely agree about Phish, Roxy, New Order.  I love Television, wrote one of the great songs of all time, but don't think they had enough output to warrant inclusion. Same with Joy Division.  I'm no fan of metal (to put it mildly), so have no comment on those bands on the list.  I'll leave that to Mr. Tinnitus.

i don't think Television nor Joy Division qualify. Hell, might as well let in Slint too then.

i don't really like Iron Maiden, but they definitely qualify. Same w/ Slayer - why they aren't in is because they didn't sell nearly as many records as Metallica. Motorhead should be in too.

Whitney Houston is a solid choice too, esp if you are gonna consider commercial and popularity aspects of induction.

I love Nick Drake's work but i don't agree with him getting in.

Devo, Sonic Youth, Black Flag and Nick Cave, 100% agree. should have been done years ago.

Pixies, New Order and Depeche Mode? no. The Smiths, yes.

Journey and Kate Bush, i have no opinion on. Bjork, no.

Roxy Music, yes. Phish, no.

Just arbitrarily assigning a "yes" or "no" based loosely on your like/dislike of a band/artist seems to be right in line with how Jann and his small circle of cronies come to their conclusions, too!

Just arbitrarily assigning a "yes" or "no" based loosely on your like/dislike of a band/artist seems to be right in line with how Jann and his small circle of cronies come to their conclusions, too!

i didn't realize this was the essay part of the thread.

and how can Bjork's total of years snubbed be 12, whereas Sonic Youth's is only 6?

the criteria is vague so that armchair guitar techs can argue back and forth.

but i would agree that influence (however you care to measure that) is a big one, at least in how I interpret it.

and looking back at the careers of Black Flag and Sonic Youth, and what they accomplished, it's insanity to exclude them.

for lammy, the tl;dr version:

BF/SY - yes

25 years after 1st recording is all you need to get in.

It's tough to get in and there are at lease 100+ that could make a great argument that they should be in but only 5-6 per year, going to take many years to get them all in because you are going to have 1-2 new acts each year.  Sorry for the bleeding sentence.

Warren Zevon is another one who should be in there.

:thumbup  Warren meets all the criteria, too, in terms of his influence as well as his own personal output. He was such a great songwriter, with a unique and immediately recognizable style. He was one of the few (Randy Newman is the master, I think) who could write so well from the standpoint of the unreliable narrator.