Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, they were doing some punk tunes (Minor Threat, Big Black) and Check Your Head is a great album to tour for as well.

The Smiths and Phish are no brainers, regardless of how long it takes to get them in. Both established singular sounds, both are influential. Anyone who thinks Phish were just noodling dead wannabes never actually listened to the music of either band. Lou Reed gets insane props for his VU contribution but apart from New York his solo material is sketchy. I have no problem with him getting in individually though as he is an icon of rock.

THIS

If they let Kraftwerk in, I'd assume they would eventually have to let Tangerine Dream in, too....

Fixed it for ya. Cause if we're gonna talk "art-synth crap" then TG blows Kraftwerk away imo.

and who will be the first Japanese band to get in? it really should be Les Rallizes Des Nudes but that will never happen.

Yoko Ono has a better chance than Les Rallizes Des Nudes.  I'm going with Loudness myself.

So if I have read this thread thoroughly (well, the last few pages anyway), the HOF really is a joke, and not a funny one. No Yes, Moody Blues, Warren Zevon, J. Geils Band, Deep Purple, Black Flag, Sonic Youth, Roxy Music, Replacements, The Cars. Holy schnikes, but they can put in NWA and NIN? WTF?

J Geils > than NWA? I don't listen to either much, but which group has had the bigger influence? J Geils went from a derivative blues act to bubble gum pop. I like a lot of their stuff, but there's not much original or noteworthy. The Cars put out a few great new wave LP's and then a bunch of schlock. NWA pretty much invented Gangster Rap. Ice Cube and Dr. Dre continue to be hugely influential figures. Trent Reznor's influence will stretch further than Geils, Deep Purple, and maybe others on the list as well.

I agree on Cars but I would put them behind some other I would Like to see (Chicago, Yes, Cheep Trick,  Moody Blues,...some others).

Problem with Cars is they were not great live (at least the few time I saw them).....but they should be in.

J Geils > than NWA? I don't listen to either much, but which group has had the bigger influence? J Geils went from a derivative blues act to bubble gum pop. I like a lot of their stuff, but there's not much original or noteworthy. The Cars put out a few great new wave LP's and then a bunch of schlock. NWA pretty much invented Gangster Rap. Ice Cube and Dr. Dre continue to be hugely influential figures. Trent Reznor's influence will stretch further than Geils, Deep Purple, and maybe others on the list as well.

Probably treaded this water a long time ago on the board, but I personally don't think any rap or hip-hop acts should be inducted into something calling itself the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. They should have their own Hall of Fame. Honestly, same goes for all those disco acts like Chic.

Probably treaded this water a long time ago on the board, but I personally don't think any rap or hip-hop acts should be inducted into something calling itself the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. They should have their own Hall of Fame. Honestly, same goes for all those disco acts like Chic.

I agree. I listen to different styles of music, but the basic rule should be that if even the performers don't call their music rock and roll, then they don't qualify for inclusion in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.