Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of Joan Jett, I just bought overpriced cheap-seat tickets to see her open for The Who in Austin next April. It will be a nice bookend for my few dozen Who shows that began with Joan opening for them in Orlando in 1982 (B-52s were also there and were booed off the stage).

I assume it'll be my last Who concert, but I've been thinking the same thing for more than 30 years.

Joan still sounds pretty good, though I don't know as I would have put her in the HOF before Yes, Warren Zevon, etc. etc.

On the Smiths, NIN, etc... I suppose they are considered rock, but it's not a style of rock that I relate to or identify with, so I'm apathetic about whether or not those bands are, uh, "honored" by such an induction. Same goes for Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and all sorts of other people. BTW, I'm a 50-year-old Deadhead, so I'm with Lammy. :lol

That's one of the great things about a band like Wilco: they have attracted fans who like the Stones and Beatles, but they have also attracted fans who like Yo La Tengo, The Replacements, and the Minutemen. Very wide palette of sounds and styles, and as a result, a varied fan base.

that's the funniest thing...there are only three 'punk' bands in the HoF

ramones - 2002

clash - 2003

sex pistols - 2006

and now Green Day is in on the first ballot?

what about Black Flag? The Damned? Stiff Little Fingers? Dead Kennedys? Bad Brains? Minor Threat?

sure, none of them even came close to the commercial success of Green Day, but they made their mark in much deeper and imo more important ways.

Although I love The Pogues ( songwriting is amazing ) and Locals J Geils Band

I don't think I will live long enough to see either get in / However I have my many memories of seeing them and recordings in various formats

• 2 months later...

I'm not much of a Paul fan - but it is nice to see him doing this:

Rock and Roll Hall of Famers Paul McCartney, Stevie Wonder and Patti Smith will be among those honoring the class of 2015 at this year's induction ceremony, taking place April 18 at Cleveland's Public Hall.

McCartney will present Beatles bandmate Ringo Starr with the Rock Hall's one-off Award For Musical Excellence, making him the final member of the group to be honored as a solo artists. Wonder will do the honors for Bill Withers and Smith will induct the late Lou Reed. Other presenters include Fall Out Boy for Green Day, J. Geils Band frontman Peter Wolf for the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, John Mayer for Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble and Hall of Famer Steve Cropper for the "5" Royales.  An inductor for Joan Jett & the Blackhearts is pending.

Performers for the ceremony include Dave Grohl, who was inducted into the Rock Hall last year with Nirvana, Joe Walsh, who entered with the Eagles, Beck, Tom Morello, John Legend and Jimmie Vaughan, who will salute his late younger brother. Double Trouble members Tommy Shannon and Chris Layton previously told Billboard that Gary Clark Jr. and Doyle Bramhall II will also be joining them during the ceremony.

Wait… Green Day was inducted?

Before The Buzzcocks?

Before Hüsker Dü?

Before The Replacements?

At all?!

Wait… Green Day was inducted?

Before The Buzzcocks?

Before Hüsker Dü?

Before The Replacements?

At all?!

They will be inducted in April...and yes before all those groups you listed.  Replacements were nominated last year but failed to make the final list.  The other 2 have never been even nominated.

Green Day is getting in first year eligible.

So any band that ends in a number? Sum 41, Blink 182, etc.

Correct! I don't know, Green Day takes a lot of shit, imo, for being a decent Pop band. As to regard of  the R& R HoF worthiness, it's already been established that there is little rhyme nor reason that "justifies" the whims of Jann and his small band of minions. Questioning the relevance/worthiness/etc. of bands "honored" to be admitted to the HoF is futile.

Correct! I don't know, Green Day takes a lot of shit, imo, for being a decent Pop band. As to regard of  the R& R HoF worthiness, it's already been established that there is little rhyme nor reason that "justifies" the whims of Jann and his small band of minions. Questioning the relevance/worthiness/etc. of bands "honored" to be admitted to the HoF is futile.

Hear, hear!

• 6 months later...

This year's list:

The nominations for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's Class of 2016 are in, and the list includes Chicago, Cheap Trick, Deep Purple, the Cars, Janet Jackson, N.W.A, Nine Inch Nails, the Smiths and Yes. The rest of this year's hopefuls are Chaka Khan, Chic, The J.B.'s, Los Lobos, Steve Miller and the Spinners.

A couple of nights ago I checked out from my library Cheap Trick's 30th Anniversary of  Budokan! which included the  DVD the April 30, 1978 Budokan performance -- it was fun to watch. I use to have the record as kid - like everyone else who grew up in the late 70s - besides the big hits (Surrender, etc), I didn't remember many of the songs at all.

I've been watching the push for Harry in the Hall over the past year. It's a shame that he still isn't getting recognized. The people picking and voting on these things don't instill me with a lot of faith. Another one that keeps getting ignored is Warren Zevon. One could make a pretty good list of oversights.

I've been watching the push for Harry in the Hall over the past year. It's a shame that he still isn't getting recognized. The people picking and voting on these things don't instill me with a lot of faith. Another one that keeps getting ignored is Warren Zevon. One could make a pretty good list of oversights.

Someone should start an alternate HoF.

The RnR Bedroom of Fame, or something like that. They couldn't quite make it into the hall. But, boy are they sexy!

Jack Rabid would be a good curator, methinks.

Or the Basement of Fame: too far underground to gain the recognition they deserve.