Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find the concept of a Hall of Fame laughable and absolutely unR&R.  Right up there with Grammys and CMA. Music is so subjective and most of the time, awards are based on $. I find Green Day irritating as hell. Paul Butterfield? Freaking awesome and influential. Just my .02 worth.....

How long until Taylor Swift is eligible?

The collective head explosions that will happen when she is inducted on her first ballot will be awesome to watch.

Wait are Soundgarden in the Hall? They should def be in over Green Day/Joan Jett in my opinon!

They will get in eventually.  It is not an easy job to get these groups in....only 5-7 each year and there is a huge backup of groups most would like to see in.  A do agree the order is sometimes messed up.  Joan Jett has got a lot of support recently from many current members.  Not that I am a"Rockist" but hard to justify her and Not Steve Miller or so many others.

How long until Taylor Swift is eligible?

The collective head explosions that will happen when she is inducted on her first ballot will be awesome to watch.

it's all about Kanye, baby.

I find the concept of a Hall of Fame laughable and absolutely unR&R.  Right up there with Grammys and CMA. Music is so subjective and most of the time, awards are based on $. I find Green Day irritating as hell. Paul Butterfield? Freaking awesome and influential. Just my .02 worth.....

who did PBB influence?

PBB influenced every blues band that followed them. They also brought in jazz and Indian influences in their second album. Mike Bloomfield was one of the greatest guitar players of all time. Paul Butterfield was a great harp player and an under appreciated singer.

However, I will add that nostalgia and death sometimes make bands greater than they really were. PBB did not have an extensive body of work. Drugs and egos took their toll. Their is always a tendency to elevate the greatness of music that one heard in their youth to near mystical status. Hell, I think The Swinging Medallions should be in just for "Double Shot of my Baby's Love".....

So if I have this right, Nine Inch Nails, The Smiths, Kraftwerk, N.W.A.,  Chic, Sting, War, The Spinners, and The Marvelettes are the ones not getting in this year.

That's not bad at all.

not bad in what way?

i wonder if the rest of the world rolls their collective eyes at the Hall of Fame in the same manner as baseball's "World Series." 

you don't consider The Smiths or NIN to be rock acts?

i wouldn't

No. The Smiths are mopey, emo suicide elevator music with lyrics and NIN are torture chamber music flunkies.

you are mistaken, at least when it comes to their latter releases

It's hard to judge meaning on the the internet, what with the lack of non-verbal cues and all, so seriously, no bullshit, some of you honestly think that The Smiths weren't rock?

It's hard to judge meaning on the the internet, what with the lack of non-verbal cues and all, so seriously, no bullshit, some of you honestly think that The Smiths weren't rock?

Here in Atlanta there's a Smiths cover band called Smithsonian.  I don't know the Smiths music all that well, but I know some of the guys in this band, so I go see them sometimes, and it always strikes me how upbeat and rocking the majority of the songs are.