Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sadly, John Mayer could probably do a fine job at literally covering SRV's stuff.  But if he opened his mouth and started doing his whisper-stroke singing and/or fracking some unsuspecting 20 year old, it just wouldn't go well.  

I don't understand the RnR HOF.  Music is so subjective.  It is not like sports HOFs were for the most part all you need is numbers to get in the HOF.  

It would fun to see a ban on anyone who used PEDs from getting into the RnR HOF.  

Would there be anyone in there?

I am ok with Green Day getting in. I am not a fan, but they had a huge record in Dookie, another turned into a Broadway show in American Idiot. I suppose they have influenced a bunch of quasi-punk bands as well. I am with worldrecordplayer on Joan Jett - I don't get it. I love that Stevie Ray Vaughan and DT got in, but I am not sure why they got in. Saw him a few times - he could play like nobody's business.

I am ok with Green Day getting in. I am not a fan, but they had a huge record in Dookie, another turned into a Broadway show in American Idiot. I suppose they have influenced a bunch of quasi-punk bands as well.

that's the funniest thing...there are only three 'punk' bands in the HoF

ramones - 2002

clash - 2003

sex pistols - 2006

and now Green Day is in on the first ballot? 

what about Black Flag? The Damned? Stiff Little Fingers? Dead Kennedys? Bad Brains? Minor Threat?

sure, none of them even came close to the commercial success of Green Day, but they made their mark in much deeper and imo more important ways.

Neil Young is way more Punk and/or R&R than Green Day and he staged a play to his music/concept album....

If you're referring to Greendale, that was not a play.  That was a NY & CH album and tour in which with the narrative was acted out onstage. I see a world of difference between that and the American Idiot Broadway show.

But even if you disagree, surely you would agree that Greendale had nothing to dowith NY getting into the hall.  He earned his place in the hall before anyone ever heard of Greendale.

that's the funniest thing...there are only three 'punk' bands in the HoF

ramones - 2002

clash - 2003

sex pistols - 2006

and now Green Day is in on the first ballot? 

what about Black Flag? The Damned? Stiff Little Fingers? Dead Kennedys? Bad Brains? Minor Threat?

sure, none of them even came close to the commercial success of Green Day, but they made their mark in much deeper and imo more important ways.

I guess that's how it works. It's the bands that take those influences and turn it into longevity/commercial success that get into the R&RHoF. That's why we get Nirvana (but not the Pixies), Red Hot Chili Peppers (but not the Minutemen), Green Day (but not Buzzcocks/SLF), etc.etc.