Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Not in my case. I don't have much of an interest in the Rock Hall, but it does seem pointless to have members that made/make music that they personally never referred to as rock and roll. I don't have any problem with rap, disco or anything else. If there was (is there?) a Rap Hall of Fame, it wouldn't have The Beatles or Nirvana in it. The Disco Hall of Fame wouldn't include The Kinks or R.E.M. It's just silly. The only explanation I can come up with as to why the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame includes artists that never described themselves as rock and roll, is to make it more popular, meaning more of a moneymaker. Broadening the parameters increases interest, which increases visits. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then I guess we can all look forward to Taylor Swift, Lady Antebellum, Lady Gaga, and Kanye West's inductions. Like I said, it's a joke, and not a funny one. I don't even watch their crap awards show anymore, because it's just become an embarrassment. At some point, most actual rockers will probably fail to show up for the award because they won't want to be associated with it.

Not really on topic but when talking about "Rock and Roll" I have to agree that it is a very wide net.  Example I saw last night on the Genesis Showtime documentary.  They said (in direct interviews) that the song Mama...when he laughs, they got that from Grandmaster Flash....It;s like a Jungle sometimes it makes me wonder why I keep from going under ha, ha, ha,...ha.  So the influences come from some strange places sometimes.

Also, Neil Young proved it when he made Shocking Pinks...when Geffen told him to and a Rock and Roll record....he came out with Everybody's Rockin.

I think the "Rockist" have some beef with recent activity, nothing really to hang hat on this time around for sure.  70's rock should get more respect maybe, but that doesnt diminish what the Beastie  Boys did or Run DMC.  

I was brought up on "classic Rock".  Love Bruce from the time I was 11, when I was in high school (1981-2) I discovered Planet Rock and For the next 3 year I was into all that stuff,  Looking for the Perfect Beat, It's Like That....Now i am into more the indi Rock thing (War on Drugs....).

Rock is a fliud art form and it is ever changing.  It is a tough call for the nominating process I think.

Not in my case. I don't have much of an interest in the Rock Hall, but it does seem pointless to have members that made/make music that they personally never referred to as rock and roll. I don't have any problem with rap, disco or anything else. If there was (is there?) a Rap Hall of Fame, it wouldn't have The Beatles or Nirvana in it. The Disco Hall of Fame wouldn't include The Kinks or R.E.M. It's just silly. The only explanation I can come up with as to why the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame includes artists that never described themselves as rock and roll, is to make it more popular, meaning more of a moneymaker. Broadening the parameters increases interest, which increases visits. 

Depends.  Did the rap, disco, etc. acts have a measurable influence on rock?  If so, they deserve consideration.

The Beatles would easily sail into a Rap Hall of Fame just on the basis of Paul's Boutique.

I agree that it's a "wide net" but sometimes an entirely new genre develops from an existing one. Personally, that's how I feel about hip-hop and rap. Rock and roll has it's roots in blues, country, etc. but it is considered rock and roll, not a style of blues, for example. I see hip-hop as similarly having it's roots in soul, funk, dub, R&B, rock and roll, etc. but is a distinct genre in and of itself.

Again, if the artists themselves don't call their music rock and roll, then what's the point? I'd be willing to bet that if you asked someone who listened to rap/hip-hop exclusively if they liked, say NWA, and they answered, "Yes", and you responded, "Oh, you're a rock and roll fan, then", they'd think you were an idiot.

Obviously, this isn't an issue of importance.

Depends.  Did the rap, disco, etc. acts have a measurable influence on rock?  If so, they deserve consideration.

The Beatles would easily sail into a Rap Hall of Fame just on the basis of Paul's Boutique.

That might happen, but they would be in under the 'early influence' category. Similar to how Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger are in the Rock Hall as early influences.

The funny thing to me is that I would be absolutely shocked if rap, hip-hop, disco, metal, soul, blues, pop, electronic, etc., were not included in the rock & roll hall of fame. I think all those genres are so intertwined with rock music that it would create a huge void in the history of rock & roll to not have them there.

"Music that the kids are into since 1950, except jazz or broadway musicals or country" Hall of Fame.

Can't let those damn roaring 20s Flappers in there!!

There you go!

I can definitely see both sides. I understand what Bleed Orange is saying. To me, hip-hop is so distinctive, it has become it's own genre and therefore deserves it's own recognition as a unique art form.

I have decided to view this issue the way I view Global Warming/Climate Change. I know that global warming is real because the science is there. The vast majority of climatologists agree on the evidence, so it is a fact. As soon as I determine what the vast majority of musicologists have found based on the evidence, then I'll know if hip-hop is a form of rock and roll or if hip-hop is it's own distinct musical genre. To The Google!!

I kinda look at the Hall like Keith Richards looks at writing music. Maybe one day they will change the name of the place.

My strength, probably, is I can recognize a song in a few bars. I spot the embryo there. I've been writing since so early on that the antenna is really well-developed. If I pick up an instrument, it'll come to me. I don't go searching. I don't have that God aspect about it. I prefer to think of myself as an antenna. There's only one song, and Adam and Eve wrote it; the rest is a variation on a theme.

- Keith Richards, c. 1997

• 2 months later...

Class of 2015:

The punk trio Green Day is the 48th act to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in their first year of eligibility, joining acts such as Nirvana, R.E.M., and the Clash as first-ballot honorees. Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble, Bill Withers, the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, and Lou Reed will join them in the class of 2015 being inducted April 18 at Cleveland’s Public Hall.

In addition, Ringo Starr will be honored with the Award for Musical Excellence and the “5” Royales will receive the Early Influence Award.

Class of 2015:

I wouldn't argue against any of those artists except for Green Day, but having said that, I don't know if I could articulate why SRV/Double Trouble deserves to be in, but Green Day doesn't.  SRV's guitar skills aside, both acts are mostly known as popularizers of older musical styles.  Exactly like the Stray Cats.  So, why haven't the Stray Cats been nominated?

I wouldn't argue against any of those artists except for Green Day, but having said that, I don't know if I could articulate why SRV/Double Trouble deserves to be in, but Green Day doesn't.  SRV's guitar skills aside, both acts are mostly known as popularizers of older musical styles.  Exactly like the Stray Cats.  So, why haven't the Stray Cats been nominated?

In the case of Green Day, they've had a lot more popularity over a longer period of time. Been around 25 years now and are still going.

And SRV is dead. Instant cred.

Green Day doesn't? Why? The criteria seems to be fairly arbitrary and they've sold a shit-ton of albums and fit the time "requirements". Personal taste, I guess? 

Aside from popularity, I don't see them as having done anything noteworthy, or deserving of what is supposed to be the highest honor in rock music.

Will Weezer deserve it when their time comes?  How about Foo Fighters? Black Eyed Peas?

Nothing against any of those bands, but popularity alone doesn't cut it for me. 

Aside from popularity, I don't see them as having done anything noteworthy, or deserving of what is supposed to be the highest honor in rock music.

Will Weezer deserve it when their time comes?  How about Foo Fighters? Black Eyed Peas?

Nothing against any of those bands, but popularity alone doesn't cut it for me. 

Right or wrong, I think the Foo Fighters are a lock the first year they're eligible - they're popular, still around, and have the right pedigree (American, "from the ashes of") - just the kind of group that RS loves.

Right or wrong, I think the Foo Fighters are a lock the first year they're eligible - they're popular, still around, and have the right pedigree (American, "from the ashes of") - just the kind of group that RS loves.

I expect you'll be proven right.  I haven't seen their latest TV series yet, but I think that and Grohl's Sound City documentary will give them a degree of credibility in the eyes of the voters. 

I will make sure to DVR the 2015 show in case I have trouble sleeping one night.

Green Day getting in ahead of the Smiths is hysterical.  I just have to pray now that John Mayer won't be one of the acts supporting the SRV induction.