Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Peter was the only one at the ceremony. Jeremy and Danny were inducted - but were not at the ceremony.

There were some others in the band. But - I would argue that Bob Welch saved that band for a time. Without him, they would have not made it to the Buckingham-Nicks era. I think Mick says something like that in his book.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would argue that Bob Welch saved that band for a time. Without him, they would have not made it to the Buckingham-Nicks era. I think Mick says something like that in his book.

Yes, exactly. Yet they froze him out of the HoF ceremony. He eventually went on to tragically die at his own hand.

I don't know the back story there, what's up. Bare Trees was a major album for us in high school, still think it's a great one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just got Bare Trees from the library and listened to it for the 1st time today. It is a good one - bit of "pop" to it, too (like the later self title record and Rumors).

I wish they'd been better. I really like Surrender, I Want You, Dream Police...

My friend Todd saw them with me, and he'd seen them another time already, probably 4 years ago. He said that show sucked also. It's a shame.

I wish they'd been better. I really like Surrender, I Want You, Dream Police...

My friend Todd saw them with me, and he'd seen them another time already, probably 4 years ago. He said that show sucked also. It's a shame.

I was watching some video of Cheap Trick shows/TV performances on Youtube over the weekend. I'd say they are like ZZ Top in a way. They both play pretty much the same songs at every show and the energy seems to have left the band. From I could see - they seem to be going through the motions. 

I was watching some video of Cheap Trick shows/TV performances on Youtube over the weekend. I'd say they are like ZZ Top in a way. They both play pretty much the same songs at every show and the energy seems to have left the band. From I could see - they seem to be going through the motions. 

Most if not all of those types (Journey, STYX, Def Lep., Bill Joel)...all the old timers do the same thing.  They have nothing new to offer and fans only want to hear the "hits".  Makes for a boring time for the bands.  How exciting is it to play Dream Police for the 1000 time.  I call them Jump out the Window Songs (great songs that we have all heard enough for 3 lifetimes).

I wonder if Wilco will ever be that.

Well, you're not really eligible till 25 years after your debut and not many bands are in any sort of creative peak at that point. Most band seem to have a 5 - 10 year span where they are at a peak, and after that it seems like the peaks are moments more than trends. There are exceptions but in my opinion the muse has flown for most. At some point it's the staying power of what you have done that gets you there. Cheap Trick and ZZTop are no exceptions, toss Deep Purple into that pile also.

I had always read that he left because he didn't want to tour so much anymore:

Bun E. Carlos Confirms Cheap Trick Hall of Fame Reunion, Promises to ‘Make Nice’
By Nick DeRiso December 22, 2015 10:54 AM

Bun E. Carlos says he expects things to go smoothly when the original Cheap Trick lineup performs at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction, despite their past few years of estrangement.

“I’m assuming everybody is going to make nice,” Carlos told Rolling Stone. “Me, too. I have no agenda here. I won’t get up there and be like, ‘F— these guys!’ … I won’t be like, ‘Let me set the record straight, people!’ F— that.”

Cheap Trick have been performing with co-founding guitarist Rick Nielsen‘s son Daxx on drums since 2010, after Carlos said ongoing disagreements with singer Robin Zander came to a sudden head over scheduling a series of shows in tribute to the Beatles‘ Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.

“We were offered 100 Sgt. Pepper shows in Las Vegas with a huge back-end,” Carlos explained. But Zander “only wanted to do 50. I said, ‘Why do you only want to do 50?’ He said, ‘I have to take my daughter to kindergarten in September. I don’t want her to go to school in Las Vegas.’ I smartly replied something like, ‘We’re scheduling shows around your daughter’s kindergarten classes?’ Then he was like, ‘F— you, you f—ing a–hole.’ Then I just hung up the phone.” As Carlos noted, “Me and the singer don’t get along very good.”

Carlos pointed out that he hasn’t spoken to his former bandmates, outside of courtroom proceedings, since then. They ultimately worked out an unwieldy agreement in which Carlos remains part owner of Cheap Trick, earning regular stipends, but he doesn’t actually play with the group. That is, until next April, when Carlos now confirms the co-founding four members will take the stage together.

Still, a recent court action – brought by Carlos when he said “the check stopped coming” – only served to further chill relationships. The idea of appearing more regularly with his old band, he admitted, has never seemed more remote.

“I don’t see it happening,” Carlos said. “Rick’s kid got a gig here, and Dad loves that. … Even besides that, any friendship we had went away when I had to file a federal lawsuit. That cost a bucket of f—ing money. Going after these guys wasn’t pleasant. The friendship sort of frittered away there."

Having a kindergartner at home - some days, I would love to go off on tour ---- of course I would probably end up bringing him along - -- the three year old can definitely stay home with mom, though. I'm 43 - can't imagine having young kid's while I am in my 60s.

It is weird that when bands get inducted to this place, that often it brings out all the animosity among various band members. They all seem to take it so seriously. I blame Mike Love for setting the negative vibe on the Hall.

I'm 46 and have a 3 and almost-1 year old. I think the roster is set. I can't imagine having kids when I was younger. Now is just about the perfect time.

I agree -- the first 12 years with the wife was a blast, lot's of traveling, concerts, etc --- it's just has been a different kind of blast the last 6.

• 3 months later...

I was just looking at some photos from last night and noticed CT let Bun play at the ceremony. I think that is pretty cool. I have not yet found out who in Deep Purple was there besides Roger, Gillian, and Ian Paice.

'Nice' words by Steve Miller. 

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/04/09/arts/music/after-his-induction-steve-miller-rips-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame.html?smprod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share&_r=2&referer=http://m.q1043.com/onair/jonathan-jc-clarke-1368/whoagh-steve-miller-gets-inducted-into-14586487/

It is good that Bun played with him - I read that Daxx Nielsen said he would have felt weird playing and being up there while Bun was on stage - he used an ex-wife and new girlfriend in the same room analogy. 

I've read things about the cost to sit at a table before. Someone must pay for a lot of those old acts - who probably don't can't afford that price. I guess Steve did not want to pay.

Did Miller perform at all?

I guess he was the one being inducted -- not his band. If his current band members want to play with him on stage - I guess, maybe, they have to cough up the dough.

Maybe that's why it's always an "all-star" band lot's of time. The "all-stars" don't have to pay, but the actual band members who have been playing, for instance with Miller, for years and years, have to pay to get in and play. Whatever.

Just read that he did play -- guessing the Keys back him up.

Guess I should read before I post - looked like he did play his band.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/steve-miller-performance-hall-of-fame/

Edited by calvino