Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't know that answer. I would think that they have a slate of "experts" voting and the nominees who hit a certain level of votes get in..unless Jann Wenner vetoes.

I have s bunch of artists I think should be in starting with ax, the Replacements, Husker Du/Sugar/bob Mould , Warren Zevin etc... but they never ask my opinion.

The process and selection is baffling, but the museum

Is pretty cool.

• 2 weeks later...

I think for me it is something I noticed in the Chicago documentary the other night on CNN -

Robert said something about them becoming a "ballads band" and that is not what they were really all about. But that is what they became. 

I think for me it is something I noticed in the Chicago documentary the other night on CNN -

Robert said something about them becoming a "ballads band" and that is not what they were really all about. But that is what they became. 

Yeah, unfortunately! I still think the 1st record is one the truly great debut LPs. The first disc really has only 3 Top 40 tunes, and they're still very strong, no cheese. Kath's work on Poem 58 might be my favorite thing they ever did. Then the second disc is serious, serious jazz-blues rock jamming, with Kath just killing all over the place. I've had that record (my parents bought it but were put off by the more jammy stuff) since it came out. It's still a thrilling experience for me to listen to. I never think of it first off when you talk about the Holy Trinity  :P  of Clapton/Page/Beck, but Kath was right up there in the rareified air for a brief period. 

Aman, did they make any mention of what Kath thought of the increasingly bland direction the band went into leading up to his death? I just wonder if he was depressed about that. I mean, I know it's called an "accident" but if you've just put a revolver to your head, for any reason, you don't just do something like that to be silly, ya know? That band was SO hot right out of the gate, and Terry Kath was such a huge part of that for me. Everybody was great, but he had some real presence.

• 2 months later...

Saw this on Billboard:

When music greats gather to honor the likes of Pearl Jam, Tupac, Journey and more on April 7 at Brooklyn's Barclays Center, Lenny Kravitz will also be in attendance to perform a special tribute to the late Prince. Along with Kravitz, the Rock Hall also announced Wednesday (March 29) that Alicia Keys, Mary Chapin Carpenter and the Indigo Girls will be performing as well.

The big news doesn’t stop there. Pharrell is also set to present Chic’s Nile Rodgers with The Award For Musical Excellence, Train frontman Pat Monahan will induct Journey, and Dhani Harrison – son of The Beatles’s George Harrison – will induct ELO.

Kravitz, Keys, Pharrell, Harrison and Monahan join a previously announced list of famous guests, with Snoop Dogg revealing earlier this week that he will induct his friend and rap legend Tupac Shakur. The first round of presenters was announced in January, including Neil Young (introducing Pearl Jam), Rush's Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson (introducing Yes), and Jackson Browne (introducing Joan Baez).

Although the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony will take place April 7, the recorded event will air on HBO April 29 at 8 p.m. ET/PT. Prior to the ceremony, a special exhibit honoring the 2017 inductees will open at the Rock Hall in Cleveland on March 31.

I hope Old Neil is alright: (I have have that No Code show on tape. It was a "no commercials night" if I recall correctly.)

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announced today that Neil Young will be unable to induct Pearl Jam into the Hall at Friday's ceremony in Brooklyn, citing an undisclosed illness. Instead, David Letterman has agreed to fill in and induct the band. 

Pearl Jam's history with Letterman is as extensive as their storied past with Young, making their debut on Letterman's version of the Late Show in September of 1996 to play "Hail Hail" from their then-new record No Code. Over the years, they would return numerous times, including performing a Live on Letterman set. Eddie Vedder marked the end of Letterman's tenure with a special rendition of "Better Man" in May of 2015 as the host stepped down from the show. 

I'm not going to lie, at this point hearing NY is sick makes me pretty nervous. Especially sick to the point where they know he still won't be feeling better in a few days. Hopefully he's OK. 

Someone needs to explain to Neil that if you're pretending to be sick you need to lay low. This is what happens when you've never had a 9-5 job in the social media age!