Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

I was just looking at some photos from last night and noticed CT let Bun play at the ceremony. I think that is pretty cool. I have not yet found out who in Deep Purple was there besides Roger, Gillian, and Ian Paice.

I wonder if Steve Morse was inducted with them.  He's been in DP for over 20 years now.  Longer than any other project of his.  Also, did Cetera show up for Chicago?  I know of some folks who planned on going just for that.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Cetera for Chicago. He seems to have had a giant hissy fit a couple of months ago and no compromise could be made. Too bad, because I loved all the Chicago records when he and Terry Kath were in the band, saw them numerous times in the mid70's, and loved it. That era of Chicago was my first favorite band, and I anxiously checked the news to see if Cetera showed up at the Hall of Fame induction, but no such luck. Oh well, Peter Cetera stopped being the musician I liked in Chicago a long time ago.

I didn't bother posting the stuff here - but there are several back and forth statements from Gillian, Blackmore and their managers about why Ritchie did not attend or who got in from the band, and who did not. The last I heard Coverdale and Glenn Hughes were suppose to be there. I guess that changed.

I wonder if Steve Morse was inducted with them.  He's been in DP for over 20 years now.  Longer than any other project of his.  Also, did Cetera show up for Chicago?  I know of some folks who planned on going just for that.

:jerkit

Since [joining Deep Purple], Morse has played on five studio albums PurpendicularAbandonBananasRapture of the Deep and Now What?!, as well as seven of their live albums.

Deep Purple is one of those bands that I'm not really into, but am fascinated by their history.  The various members etc.  They've had some crazy changes over the years.

As far as Morse goes, it's interesting that he has been playing with the band longer than was their heyday, but not really considered part of the band.  The bands that get in seem to be inducted based on their first 10 years of music...the classic years.  Yet they have to be around for 25 years to be eligible.  Very convoluted.  

I like to listen from the first album Shades of Deep Purple (1968) through Burn (1974) and then Perfect Strangers (1984). I was just reading some speeches from the ceremony - I guess David and Glenn were there. 

Deep Purple is one of those bands that I'm not really into, but am fascinated by their history. The various members etc. They've had some crazy changes over the years.

As far as Morse goes, it's interesting that he has been playing with the band longer than was their heyday, but not really considered part of the band. The bands that get in seem to be inducted based on their first 10 years of music...the classic years. Yet they have to be around for 25 years to be eligible. Very convoluted.

You don't need to exist as a band for any specific duration of time. The only criteria is that 25 years have elapsed since your first release. Which is why Björk is in already, as she released a record when she was quite young.

You don't need to exist as a band for any specific duration of time. The only criteria is that 25 years have elapsed since your first release. Which is why Björk is in already, as she released a record when she was quite young.

Everything you posted is true, except the part about Bjork being in the RnRHoF.

If Bjork didn't make it, there's no way in hell a band like KISS could ever make it. Oh wait. 

Well, at least Black Flag is in there.

Wait....

I can't recall how it is then. She's not currently eligible? Maybe I was thinking that.

Well known for her creative compositional style and distinct singing, Björk's recording career began in 1977 at the age of 11, when she released (as Björk Guðmundsdóttir) her first album, while studying piano and flute at music school.

No Cetera for Chicago. He seems to have had a giant hissy fit a couple of months ago and no compromise could be made. Too bad, because I loved all the Chicago records when he and Terry Kath were in the band, saw them numerous times in the mid70's, and loved it. That era of Chicago was my first favorite band, and I anxiously checked the news to see if Cetera showed up at the Hall of Fame induction, but no such luck. Oh well, Peter Cetera stopped being the musician I liked in Chicago a long time ago.

The Chicago debut LP is one of the very best debut Rock LPs in my opinion. I could go on all day about Terry Kath. He was truly a monster player - right up there with Page & Clapton from the same time frame.

I like to listen from the first album Shades of Deep Purple (1968) through Burn (1974) and then Perfect Strangers (1984). I was just reading some speeches from the ceremony - I guess David and Glenn were there. 

Glenn should be there! And inducted as well.

The criteria/merit for who or whom deserves to be in it seems pretty arbitrary, though. Certainly Phish "deserve" to be in.....

Any time Yes or Crimson aren't members of a place like this the whole thing is a fucking lame ass trip. Seriously. Phish too, certainly. But Crimson? YES, for God's sake? You have to say WTF.

one side of my brain says "why on Earth would you care one little bit about who is in this arbitrary hall of fame thing?" and then the other part of my brain says "go ahead and click on that hall of fame thread."  I'm a mystery to me.