Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting in on the gravy train, thanks to VC. A place where not liking KISS is a capital crime, now that's a dystopian future! What an idea for a novel and/or screenplay. Flaming Youth 451

I'm squarely in that demographic, but was never a fan at all.  I will vouch for the 95% though.  Everybody (else) loved them.

I remember someone giving me "KISS ALIVE" on 8-track as a Christmas gift in high school, saying "I hope you don't already have that one".  I didn't. 

Other than the "army", I really don't see why they are in the HOF.  I don't think they moved the needle in any way other than grease paint and fake blood.

i think KISS' greatest achievement was the astounding level of success they achieved despite most critics and media either passively ignoring or actively hating them.

Hard to justify keeping out one of the highest selling acts of all time. 

fair enough.  still, I don't get it.

At the risk of infringing on Dick's turf, I offer the following:

fame[feym] Show IPA
noun
widespread reputation, especially of a favorable character; renown; public eminence: to seek fame as an opera singer.
common estimation or opinion generally held of a person or thing; reputation.

Alice Cooper was inducted in 2011.

That's odd he comes up. I was watching a bunch of Alice Cooper videos yesterday. Probably another band I began listening to as a kid. Actually, one of my earliest memories is hearing School's Out on the radio (1972).

I was watching some Alice Coopers yesterday and today also. I think Steve Hunter played most of the leads on Billion Dollar Babies and the tour. Glen Buxton was a really tragic story.

Interesting to me that not everyone here on a Wilco fan forum is all about the Replacements. They were definitely one of my big time faves during their existence (I even like Don't Tell A Sole), I don't listen all that frequently now but when I do my ears hear a direct line from the Replacements to Wilco. As if they share a music DNA.

I'd say a good many are fans. There use to be a lot of talk about them on here several years ago. There is a Replacements thread around here somewhere. It's probably more unusual to see someone post that they are not all that much into them.

people take kiss way too seriously, both the fans and the haters

they were just a band who wrote some really good dumb pop rock songs and struck marketing gold along the way. take away the makeup and all that bullshit and there were still some really good dumb pop rock songs

not the best band in the world, not the worst

im not a huge fan (though i play the first few albums quite a bit) but i have no problem with them in the rock and roll hall of fame

I've seen KISS three times now. I'm not a fan but went once just to say I did it and two more times for friends. I am one of those people who is not a fan, not because they are cheese rock but because they seem to only exist as a marketing vehicle for all the sh*t Gene dreams up to sell. His attitude about money and success turns my stomach. I'm not against any band making money, even KISS, but I tend not to like them when that is all they are about. Those three shows I saw over a six or seven year period were pretty close to identical.

Kiss > The Replacements

Not setting the bar  very high

KISS was my first real rock concert.  By real I mean non state fair, open drug use, loud rock and roll concert.  I remember Ace Frehleys Les Paul levitating into the air, then the guitar he was playing started flaming and he shot a fireball out of it at the floating Les Paul.  Have to admit I really don't listen to them anymore but I liked them and think they belong in the HOF.  They were absolutely huge in my and most of my friends elementary/middle school life.

Decent golfer. Beyond that, pffft.

Are you kidding? You liked KISS as a ute but not Cooper? Christ, man! That '70-'75 period has some of the best riffs this side of Keef imo. I don't give a shit about the "shock rock" thing, but there's some mighty fine rock and roll songs by the original band.

For those of you who can handle metal, check out Anthrax doing the KISS song Parasite. It is pretty cool. I'd say Anthrax should be in the hall, but I doubt it will ever happen.

Absolutely. Anthrax should be in there. Maybe their old buddy Chuck D can lean on the powers that be.