Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I need to listen to a Replacement record, so I can have some skin in the game.

I think my wife has  Don't Tell a Soul on cassette, in the 17 years that I have come across it our collection, I never bothered to listen to it.

It seems that WXRT talks about their last show on a monthly basis - we get it - they "just walked off the stage".

I guess I need to listen to a Replacement record, so I can have some skin in the game.

I think my wife has  Don't Tell a Soul on cassette, in the 17 years that I have come across it our collection, I never bothered to listen to it.

It seems that WXRT talks about their last show on a monthly basis - we get it - they "just walked off the stage".

Don't Tell a Soul is a horrible starting point. Their worst album.

Go with Tim (their best) or Let It Be (their "classic") or Pleased to Meet Me (their most-accessible).

From those three you can go anywhere in their catalogue and "get it."

Whether or not you like "it" is, of course, a matter of taste.

Don't Tell A Soul was my entry point. I had Pleased To Meet Me already, but it never struck a chord until after Don't Tell A Soul. 

A-man speaks truth about Achin' To Be. That and Talent Show and They're Blind and Rock N Roll Ghost and Darlin' One, to name a few, are great. True, it has clunkers. 

Not to derail the Replacements hagiography, but I want to rail on KISS.

When I was a teenager (the mid-1970's), I viewed these guys as a JOKE. There were bands that rocked better and harder and didn't have to rely on gimmicky makeup hoo hah. When I run into guys my age (53) who are fans of KISS, it tells me EVERYTHING I need to know about their teenage years.

However, there isn't much that is funnier than hearing 12-year olds singing along to a song about Anal Sex

I think the first album I bought with my allowance money was Kiss' Love Gun.

Then Alive II came out with a bunch of tattoos in it, so I bought 2 copies.  Several other grade school kids and I showed up to school littered with Kiss tattoos.  I had no idea what any of their songs were about.  

After awhile they started to suck, and I hit puberty, and the interest faded.

Now they mostly just seem like really creepy people who aged horribly.

I still love those early albums though.

Crow knows everything he needs to know about you then.

EDIT: Crow knows EVERYTHING he needs to know about you then.

Appreciation of hyperbole is a lost art amongst the deniens of this board.

And who would have ever thought that not liking KISS would be a capitol crime?

I'm not the greatest Replacements fan  - but how can an album with Achin' To Be on it be the worst? That's crazy talk. The re-issue has the song Portland on it. I like that song.

Oh, there are some great songs on there, to be sure: "Achin' to Be", "I'll Be You", "Talent Show", and a couple more. But, as a whole... meh.

If you were a teen-aged (or pre-teen aged) boy in the mid-to-late 70s, there's a 95% chance you liked/loved KISS. I was one of them. 

Definitely. Kiss Platinum was the first album I bought with my own (gift) money.

Edit: DOUBLE Platinum. Boom.

Edited by Winston Legthigh

Oh, there are some great songs on there, to be sure: "Achin' to Be", "I'll Be You", "Talent Show", and a couple more. But, as a whole... meh.

I think they have a lot of junk songs. But - they also have some good ones.

(Note: I can say that because they don't mean that much to me. But - I of course respect the fact that to some people they are one of the greatest bands of all times.)

If you were a teen-aged (or pre-teen aged) boy in the mid-to-late 70s, there's a 95% chance you liked/loved KISS. I was one of them. 

I'm squarely in that demographic, but was never a fan at all.  I will vouch for the 95% though.  Everybody (else) loved them.

I remember someone giving me "KISS ALIVE" on 8-track as a Christmas gift in high school, saying "I hope you don't already have that one".  I didn't. 

Other than the "army", I really don't see why they are in the HOF.  I don't think they moved the needle in any way other than grease paint and fake blood.

Alice Cooper was inducted in 2011.

That's odd he comes up. I was watching a bunch of Alice Cooper videos yesterday. Probably another band I began listening to as a kid. Actually, one of my earliest memories is hearing School's Out on the radio (1972).