Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

I think Gene said a while back he would not play with Ace and Peter if they got in. There's a lot of bad mouthing that goes back and forth between those guys.

He did say but clarified recently that for a tour he would not do that...but in interview yesterday said he swould be up for it...Only the 4 are getting in (according to all material out so far).  As of who will perform...I think Gene is looking for a way to have them all perform...we will see.

I don't think so. Check out this excerpt from her career summary on Wikipedia:

She's the real deal.

For Sure...no doubt she deserves in. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He did say but clarified recently that for a tour he would not do that...but in interview yesterday said he swould be up for it...Only the 4 are getting in (according to all material out so far).  As of who will perform...I think Gene is looking for a way to have them all perform...we will see.

For Sure...no doubt she deserves in. 

I didn't know that. That would be cool to see.

When you spend your entire recording and performing career drunk off you asses and extending your middle finger to you audience (sloppy drunk live performances aren't cool)...the legend is greater than the actuality.

Agreed (although sloppy drunk live performances can be quite good sometimes).  Sure, they have some good songs, but so do many, many other bands that don't get 1/1000 the notoritety The Replacements get.   It's baffling, really.  Let's face it, if "the Mats" were the exact same band, but they were from Florida, nobody would give a shit about them.

When you spend your entire recording and performing career drunk off you asses and extending your middle finger to you audience (sloppy drunk live performances aren't cool)...the legend is greater than the actuality.

Yep.

Great quote in the comments section on the Rolling Stone site:

"Gene Simmons is the Donald Trump of rock."  :lol

That's perfect. 

Great quote in the comments section on the Rolling Stone site:

"Gene Simmons is the Donald Trump of rock."  :lol

I disagree...Donald Trump is MUCH more sincere.

Agreed (although sloppy drunk live performances can be quite good sometimes).  Sure, they have some good songs, but so do many, many other bands that don't get 1/1000 the notoritety The Replacements get.   It's baffling, really.  Let's face it, if "the Mats" were the exact same band, but they were from Florida, nobody would give a shit about them.

Exactly what I was intending to say (being a bit too circumspect).

The emperor has no clothes here.

One of the most-inspired and most-inspiring rock bands to ever pick up their instruments.

When I hear them, it makes me want to first, sing along and, second, go and write a damn song.

I don't think so. Check out this excerpt from her career summary on Wikipedia:

She's the real deal.

Plus my dad had a Linda Ronstadt t-shirt I remember him wearing back in the 70's, and he never wore musician shirts.  Alright, I stand corrected.  just sour grapes on my part as I love the Replacements.

Whatever happened with that Tom Petty guy?

Since he is from Florida no one gives a shit about him.

Jesus, whatever about the drunken shows - you guys ever actually give a good listen to any Replacements records? Tim? Let It Be? Pleased To Meet Me? They're fucking fantastic rock albums.

Yes, I have.  There's nothing wrong with those records, but I find that the appetizer of wildly gushing praise combined with the aftertaste of disdain if you don't consider it the best thing ever has a tendency to ruin what would otherwise be a moderately enjoyable experience.

It's about the geography?

In part.  Sports fans are more rabid in certain parts of the country.  I think it's largely the same with music fans.  Midwest fans tend to be pretty rabid in their loyalty.

Since he is from Florida no one gives a shit about him.

Well, he's worthy of the praise so it's a bit different.  Some people can get away with being from Florida.  However, it's worth considering that while TP & the HB are from FL, they hit it big out of LA and aren't really all that associated with FL in most peoples minds.  Very much unlike how the various regional college music scenes worked in the '80s.

Meh - I'm from Minnesota originally, and I have fond memories listening to the Replacements Let It Be when it came out - I was a freshman in highschool. (friend's cool older brother clued us in). But i don't think they deserve a spot in the Hall of Fame, whatever that means. They don't deserve a spot any more than the Minutemen or Husker Du do, and I love them all. Those bands weren't about "Hall of Fame" type of entertainment. 

Alan Trammell should be in the baseball HOF, and Sweet Lou too. 

I almost hate to admit it, but I'd never even heard of half of those bands (Minutemen, Husker Du, Replacements) until I started frequenting this board years ago. I did go back and check a bunch of them out, and was pretty much underwhelmed. Interesting that some of them influenced Jeff Tweedy, but he has far surpassed them in my opinion.

I mean, The Replacements covered Black Diamond by Kiss and it wasn't even as good as the original. So does that mean Kiss really sucks or not? I mean, if you can't do better than Kiss.... :lol

Maybe I should have posted this in the Musical Blasphemy thread instead.

Jesus, whatever about the drunken shows - you guys ever actually give a good listen to any Replacements records? Tim? Let It Be? Pleased To Meet Me? They're fucking fantastic rock albums.

Right... I get that the Replacements aren't everyone's cup of tea and that mats fans can be obnoxious about our love for them... but they were much more than just a band that played drunk.  The fact they (and Westerberg's songwriting specifically) inspired and influenced a number of artists that we Wilco fans love says something.

As for the RRHOF - I have no idea whether they "deserve" to be in the hall because I don't quite understand the criteria for admission.  But I was pleasantly surprised to see them nominated and completely unsurprised that they didn't get in.

Just like with the Baseball Hall it is subject to subjectivity. So Kiss is more popular with more people than the Mats. So it goes. Cat Stevens is meh in my book and Linda Ronstadt is meh in lots of peoples books (not mine personally). Ron Santo had to die before he got in the BB Hall, so go figure. (Of course I didn't care about him either, but lots of people did.)

LouieB

Thank you. Westerberg is a helluva songwriter. I'm too much of a chickenshit to have ever seriously considered ending it all a sateen, but Westerberg told me you're not alone and life can still be fun. I was hoping they'd go in w/ KISS if only to imagine them all doing Black Diamond.

I almost hate to admit it, but I'd never even heard of half of those bands (Minutemen, Husker Du, Replacements) until I started frequenting this board years ago. I did go back and check a bunch of them out, and was pretty much underwhelmed. Interesting that some of them influenced Jeff Tweedy, but he has far surpassed them in my opinion.

I mean, The Replacements covered Black Diamond by Kiss and it wasn't even as good as the original. So does that mean Kiss really sucks or not? I mean, if you can't do better than Kiss.... :lol

Maybe I should have posted this in the Musical Blasphemy thread instead.

Dude, you are a brave and righteously truthful man. Even I am not blasphemous enough to slam  the Minutemen and Husker Du (even though you could probably seen the ? forming over my head when I gave them a listen).