Wilco Vinyl

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case anyone else was wondering.....Here is the response from Nonesuch after I inquired about the Kicking Television being reissued on vinyl... this was the only one I was looking forward to getting :ohwell

Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately, at this time, there is no plan to reissue Kicking Television on vinyl; just their complete studio albums. I will forward your suggestion on to others at the label to let them know of your interest.

Sincerely,

Nonesuch Records

I already can't find my Summerteeth CD that came with the vinyl, so I'm trying to see if I can tell with AM...

I cannot tell. I sorta think the new one is louder and nicer sounding, but maybe I just want to believe.

The track times on the new Summerteeth are exactly the same as the old one, if that means anything.

When the Mudcrutch album came out the vinyl included a CD mastered to sound like vinyl and not like the normal CD. However, when taking my LP out, the cd fell out of the cardboard sleeve and face down on our brutal concrete floor at the store, so I never found out. :(

• 4 weeks later...

Being There vinyl sounds so awesome, I could care less if Nonesuch forgot to pack the CD with my record. :rock

I agree, the Being There lps may be the best versions yet. I've been happy with all three of the reissue pressings. Too bad Kicking Television isn't gonna get a vinyl release any time soon. That would be awesome.

I've yet to try out any of the included cds, they may just sit on the shelf indefinitely.

for the sake of not having to reread this long ass thread does anyone remember when "Anodyne" comes out? Or has it already?

I'd like to reiterate the awesomeness of the Being There vinyl. My Summerteeth LP came warped like a frisbee, but Kung Fu was nice about the defect and will be hooking me up. Apparently I'm not the only one having problems, so I hope y'all are enjoying your copies!

So the cover of the CD that came with the A.M. reissue is a strikingly different color of red. Even my colorblind eyes could pick it up. Doesn't bother me, but I just though I'd note it. Couldn't be happier with these reissues!

I was just at Bull Moose Records and saw A.M. for $18.88. I didn't pick it up because I don't collect vinyl yet.

My dad owns a Crossley that came in handy when I bought the You Never Know/Unlikely Japan single.

Check out the link if you wish.

They also have a huge used vinyl section. Lots of cool stuff.

Stores are in Portsmouth, NH and Salem, NH. Plus, more in Maine.

for the sake of not having to reread this long ass thread does anyone remember when "Anodyne" comes out? Or has it already?

It was supposed to come out Nov. 23rd, but that appears to have changed.

I got an email from amazon.com about my preorder - they're now estimating a delivery in December, while the product page simply states that the item has been discontinued.

Music Direct is now saying January 15th.

I'll probably just leave my preorder alone and see if I ever get a record or not.

It was supposed to come out Nov. 23rd, but that appears to have changed.

I got an email from amazon.com about my preorder - they're now estimating a delivery in December, while the product page simply states that the item has been discontinued.

Music Direct is now saying January 15th.

I'll probably just leave my preorder alone and see if I ever get a record or not.

This feels like the same thing we went through before the Wilco reissues were officially announced. Once again, here is a great example of why record companies are struggling. How much cost can really go into reissuing the entire UT catalouge on vinyl? You have a built in market, the music already exsists, it is a no lose situation. Instead we get months of fiddle farting likely because some contractual issue that is 20 years old. Geez!!

I don't know if this was mentioned yet but Nonesuch is having a sale where everything (including the three Wilco reissues) is 33 1/3% off. Summerteeth and Being There came to $33 with free shipping!

http://www.nonesuch.com/store

Thanks for sharing that!

I may have to breakdown and get some of the Wilco reissues in order to make up for the Anodyne disappointment . . .

I don't know if this was mentioned yet but Nonesuch is having a sale where everything (including the three Wilco reissues) is 33 1/3% off. Summerteeth and Being There came to $33 with free shipping!

http://www.nonesuch.com/store

Thanks for the link.

I was ready to order but they don't ship to Canada. :realmad Hey Nonesuch, Canucks buy your products too. Either ship up north or get your Canadian distributer to start stocking these titles at a reasonable price.

Have these been for sale at recent shows? I can wait until February if they are.

THanks

crowesfan28

Just received my copies of AM, Being There, and Summerteeth.... For quite some time, I have wanted to hear the differences between the cd and vinyl versions of Summerteeth.

I have only recently started to build my vinyl collection and do not have a record player. Until I can afford a decent one, I am trying to find someone who has had a chance to rip the album. I have scoured the internet without any luck, so I would be most grateful if anyone would be willing to share or at least point me in the right direction.

• 4 weeks later...

Just received my copies of AM, Being There, and Summerteeth.... For quite some time, I have wanted to hear the differences between the cd and vinyl versions of Summerteeth.

I have only recently started to build my vinyl collection and do not have a record player. Until I can afford a decent one, I am trying to find someone who has had a chance to rip the album. I have scoured the internet without any luck, so I would be most grateful if anyone would be willing to share or at least point me in the right direction.

The equipment used is what creates the sound, so you have to listen to records on a record player to hear the difference from a cd on a cd player. You can't recreate the record sound on a cd player.

The equipment used is what creates the sound, so you have to listen to records on a record player to hear the difference from a cd on a cd player. You can't recreate the record sound on a cd player.

Not so sure about that. The record player is producing an electronic signal going over speaker wire to your speakers. Taking that same signal and ripping it to an uncompressed WAV file and listening to that WAV file through your speakers shouldn't be a remarkably different experience and a good approximation of what it sounds like to listen to speakers or headphones hooked up to a turntable, assuming the frequencies remain intact and the signal isn't clipped or distorted in any way.

For all the mystique about vinyl (and I certainly love listening to vinyl records), you're still ultimately listening to a performance that was recorded on and mixed onto a magnetic tape whose signal was pushed out to a lathe that cut grooves into a master disc based on the frequencies in the signal originating from that master tape. Whether the signal from that tape sounds better going through that lathe or being converted to ones and zeros and ripped to a CD, it's still a signal no matter how you slice it (or lathe it or cut it)...

Guest Speed Racer

But you're still listening to a copy of the way something sounds. The scans of the liner notes of W(TA) were great to look at, but not nearly as awesome as looking at them in my hand. Kind of the same thing, to me.