Wilco (The Album Discussion w/ spoilers)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like the fact it's called Wilco (The Album) is pretty adequate. If I had to describe this to anyone I'd say it's Wilco's entire career packed into one album. There's some of the sonic weirdness, some of the structural weirdness, some of the lyrical genius, some of the fun, some of the pop, some of the country-ish tendencies.

right on

I feel like the fact it's called Wilco (The Album) is pretty adequate. If I had to describe this to anyone I'd say it's Wilco's entire career packed into one album. There's some of the sonic weirdness, some of the structural weirdness, some of the lyrical genius, some of the fun, some of the pop, some of the country-ish tendencies.

that's a nice comment about this record. totally agree!

You and i and one wing is my favorite, after listening to all of it, i'm not dissapointed, i'm just so f'n happy that's how i can best describe it :thumbup

WOAH WOAH WOAH come on now.

This is a Wilco board. There are going to be a busload of fans that adore this album. There will also be a smaller busload of people who don't like the album, but thats fine because it's all just opinions. It's cool.

Enjoy the short bus.

SBS is the really crappy hiccup between two masterpieces for me. Impossible Germany was a great song, but the rest was really meh.

W(TA) is freaking genius.

Yep, I agree! I can honestly say that from what I heard with three straight through listens...I love every song, here! That’s a lot more than I can say for my few first listens to SBS.

This is a Wilco board. There are going to be a busload of fans that adore this album. There will also be a smaller busload of people who don't like the album, but thats fine because it's all just opinions. It's cool.

Enjoy the short bus.

put me on the medium sized bus for now...

Guest Alan

Enjoy the short bus.

It is? I was wondering where I was posting. Just because this is a Wilco board doesn't mean I'm going to let people fly off the handle calling this thing "genius" without questioning them. Lifting an exact guitar riff from a George Harrison song is not genius.

and go fuck yourself with your short bus comment.

ive got the Spiders head bop going on with Bull Black Nova. :dancing

I can totally hearing people whooping it up during this song at shows.

JT: Blood in the sink, blood in the trunk...

Drunk in audience: WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO YEEEEEEAAHHH!!!!! :unsure

Guest Alan
i agree with giraffo's comment as well on the album title. makes a lot of sense.

Wilco doing Wilco. yeah, i don't disagree. It's not necessarily a good thing though. This band has gone in a new direction with every album and I feel as though they have failed to do that here. Maybe it's because they've had this lineup for a while now, or because they're all getting old and complacent, I don't know, but it's rough.

I understand this board is full of fanboys who will love everything this band does until the end of time (or wilco, whichever comes first). But man, I love wilco more than anyone I personally know and this is a sad night.

You and I will probably end up on Grey's Anatomy (I will put money on that

haha no doubt. That's not a song that a rock band hitting its stride makes. I'm sorry.

The album lacks energy and edge.

Wilco doing Wilco. yeah, i don't disagree. It's not necessarily a good thing though. This band has gone in a new direction with every album and I feel as though they have failed to do that here. Maybe it's because they've had this lineup for a while now, or because they're all getting old and complacent, I don't know, but it's rough.

I understand this board is full of fanboys who will love everything this band does until the end of time (or wilco, whichever comes first). But man, I love wilco more than anyone I personally know and this is a sad night.

See, I often piss off people on this board by making snide comments about certain Wilco songs. I'm FAR from someone who would like anything Wilco's put out.

This is a great album regardless of who made it.

its a good album, the only songs im not digging so much are sunny feeling, wilco the song, and you never know.

1. Wilco the song - very upbeat and fun. not a favorite but it will probably grow on me more. Good breakdown 8/10

2. Deeper Down - Gorgeous song. Love the melodies. 9/10

3. One Wing - One of my favorites, extremely beautiful lyrics accompanied by equally appealing harmonies. 10/10

4. Bull Black Nova- Surprisingly hypnotic! Reminiscent of Spiders. Pat and Glenns breakdown's are very nice. 10/10

5. You and I - Beautiful Duet with Feist, Lovely lyrics. Nice romantic song with a very mellow vibe. 9/10

6. You never Know - Upbeat song with some nice backing vocals , dig the lyrics, and hope it grows on me more. 7.5/10

7. Country Disappeared- Great slow jam! Love Tweedy hittin those high notes! Very melllow and beautiful. 9/10

8. Solitaire- Great lyrics on this one.. Minimal percussion with a nice constant bassline, beautiful guitar work. 9/10

9. I'll fight - nice and uplifting, a steady beat accompanied with beautiful guitar work from jeff,nels,and pat 9/10

10. Sunny feeling - Happy go lucky song that is catchy but i cant put my finger on it, possible grower 7.5/10

11. Everlasting - Very beautiful love song that rises and falls. love the melodies here and the lyrics. 10/10

Hey, it might grow on you... just give it a chance. :) .

I did not like Sky Blue Sky and never embraced the album tracks but live they came to life. I like this album instantly. Nels shreds, the duet with feist is fucking beautiful and this is an absolute evolution of the band.

I will concede that a riff from My Sweet Lord is in there, just as a riff from Birthday was in Hate in Here, just like the Sesame Street riff was used on Outtasite Outtamind.

Alan... if you were saying that about SBS i could agree and understand... that album felt much more lazy than this one (granted it grew on me and now i like it quite a bit), but this album def has more energy than SBS at least.

p.s. your avatar is Pearl Jam, a band who i've seen 30+ times live but have coasted in the studio for over a decade now ;)