Wilco (The Album Discussion w/ spoilers)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer
All I gotta say is BULL BLACK NOVA: WOW!!!!!!!!

:omg OMG ME TOO! :omg

I haven't listened to the album in about four hours, and I'm walking around with an eerily pleasant mash-up of 'You and I' and 'Bull Black Nova' in my head.

ok, a nod. but the guitar lick at 3:35 is lifted.

Just to be clear that this is a pop record and in all pop music there is use of what has come before. This is natural and it isn't lazy or stealing it places the music in context of what came before.

Not every lick has to be groundbreaking and new and unheard by human beings up until it comes out on a Wilco record. Some songs just call for certain licks. Thats why a song can sound both familiar and new.

:omg OMG ME TOO! :omg

I haven't listened to the album in about four hours, and I'm walking around with an eerily pleasant mash-up of 'You and I' and 'Bull Black Nova' in my head.

Bass line on BULL BLACK NOVA is killer, John is a GOD!

Goodness! I listened on my Sennheisers and felt like I was in the room with them. Oddly enough, I thought the bass was very pronounced and just at the perfect levels! Nels does a lot of spacey-oogie-googie stuff that really bounces around with a good pair of headphones. LOVED IT.

oh, i burned it to cd and listened to it through my stereo. i don't listen to music through headphones, it doesn't give proper stereo imaging, because the sound is isolated to each ear. if an album only sounds good on headphones then it's been mixed badly.

Guest Speed Racer
oh, i burned it to cd and listened to it through my stereo. i don't listen to music through headphones, it doesn't give proper stereo imaging, because the sound is isolated to each ear. if an album only sounds good on headphones then it's been mixed badly.

I disagree. If I hadn't been listening at 3am I would have hooked it up to speakers, but I don't doubt that it'll sound good on the speakers after work today. I've never had an issue with something only sounding good on the headphones.

i don't see them going above 8, but who knows with them i guess. i think the review will be positive but the score is always a group decision, which will probably lower it a decent amount.

Ever since Pfork gave Hold Time a 6.8, I haven't really paid attention to their reviews! :realmad

i don't listen to music through headphones, it doesn't give proper stereo imaging, because the sound is isolated to each ear.

Incorrect.

If this is the mistaken impression you've been operating on all these years, you've been seriously missing out.

I disagree. This album sounds absolutely nuts in my pair of Beyer Dynamic 770's. Can't wait to hear it on vinyl! What a great record. :thumbup

I'll listen it as soon as soon as I get home, with my little reference system (Marantz pm6002 + Wharfedale 9.1). It really resolves any production details the albums have

Guest Speed Racer
Incorrect.

If this is the mistaken impression you've been operating on all these years, you've been seriously missing out.

Only using your quote as an example, but the "let's try to keep it here" sub-heading of the topic only makes me think of the "let's take this outside" verbal fisticuffs of new album discussions rather than the idea of the discussion spreading to other threads. :lol

Ok, Listened upon the wilcoworld stream. One listen on bad speakers, and my opinion is therefore baseless. Not bassless. Anyway, I think Wilco is in their Let It Be (Beatles not Replacments) era. Solid, simple melodic songs with no major craziness or experimentation. Of course many viewed Let It Be as a huge let down and I'm sure this will be lumped in the SBS boat when it is all over. For me, this is all music to my ears. It isn't blowing me away necessarily but it is solid and sweet. Now my one initial complaint is Bull Black Nova. To me it sounds like one last attempt to be the experimental Wilco and I think it sound forced compared to everything else on this album. And Everlasting is a tad dramatic, but no bid deal. I'm sure all of this will change in the next few months and once I get it on vinyl.

Even though I'm not listening to this at the moment, the repeating refrain from "You Never Know" has burrowed into my head and won't evacuate. Damn you earworm, damn you.

I don't care anymore

I don't care anymore...

Incorrect.

well - you might think it sounds better on headphones, but that's not what i said. i said an album is mixed badly if it only sounds good on headphones. and headphones do give a false stereo sound, that again is a fact. which is why producers mix using studio monitors and not headphones - eventhough headphones are capable of picking up more flaws in the music.

Guest Speed Racer

Since I was listening to it half-asleep in the middle of the night, I didn't pay too much atttention to the lyrics, except on Bull Black Nova and You Never Know - also My Country Has Disappeared, because I was pretty concerned that it would suck ass on account of the title. But I was pleasantly surprised! The songs I don't remember the lyrics to I found rather compelling musically, so I doubt I'll give a rip either way.

I think the people who are saying these tracks are simple just aren't hearing what I'm hearing on headphones. There's a ton of sonic texturing going on. Deeper Down has about 200,000 instruments.

Guest Speed Racer
i said an album is mixed badly if it only sounds good on headphones.

And I didn't say it only sounded good on headphones, so you were just throwing an extraneous fact into a discussion grounded in opinions! :lol Let's you and I each go home today, you'll throw on some headphones and I'll pop the album on my stereo, and I guarantee you our opinions won't change either way - I'll still love it, you'll think it's mixed horribly.

I think the people who are saying these tracks are simple just aren't hearing what I'm hearing on headphones. There's a ton of sonic texturing going on. Deeper Down has about 200,000 instruments.

See above. We're not supposed to talk about headphones.

I do want to note how much quicker paced this is than any record since AM. Pretty much every album has started out with a long track with the exception of SBS, but that had YAMF and Impossible Germany in the 2-3 spots. It works really well though.. After 6 minutes, you're fully wrapped up in the record and you've already covered a TON of territory