Kicking Television vinyl box set?

CCCCCCOOOOOOOOOLLLLLL!!!!!!

This has a great track listing. I for one cannot wait to go into debt for this!

I will be out of school soon though, so it is okay :)

Also, the MMJ one was $35, but it had cheaper feeling vinyl. Wilco's vinyl is always done at the best pressing plants and with great packaging. If they are selling it for $17.50 including shipping per record, they arent just pocketing the extra $35 for the set. We will be getting a superior audiophile product, which some of us could care less about, but I think alot of vinyl fans are probably picky. I would be pissed if a cheaply done $35 box set had a bunch of problems, so I can feel good about a $70 one that will be done the right way.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know this thread is from long in the past, but I'm sitting here listening to my Kicking Television box set right now and basking in how amazing it sounds.   Kind of funny that people initi

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I find it hard to get worked up over this. Before I go any farther, let me preface it that I bought Kicking Television and Sky Blue Sky together the same day and listened to them constantly over a week in a rented convertible. It was a re-immersion into Wilco after burning myself out on them. I had never seen them live before, so Kicking Television is a great introduction to the wonders of the new lineup. Since then, having seen them a handful of times, and having listened to dozens of concerts through the benefit of tapers and Wilco themselves (AOAF, 9:30 club, the recent concerts for Haiti donations), I have found that many of these are far from the best versions of these songs available. Plus you're buying a digital recording that is mixed and engineered into something completely different; what more is vinyl going to add to the experience?

The primary reason to buy it is to support the band that allows their concerts to be taped so we have such excellent access. I bought KT once (unlike other titles like YHF that I bought 3 times including one vinyl) and will likely pass on the reissue, even with the eight additional songs. My primary reason, though, is that I think the price is just too steep for what you're getting. I would strongly consider it if it was $40-$45, which would be a reasonable price.

1) I have a much better vinyl setup than I do digital and I prefer to do all of my serious listening there. I usually only listen to boots and non vinyl stuff in my car.

2) I can almost guarantee you that this was recorded at 24 bit, 192k on protools. a cd is 16 bit 48k at best. There is significantly more information available, and from what I have heard from people with good ears, 24 bit 192k sounds as good as analog, only minus the positive degradation tape provides (warmth, distortion). If they run a 1/4 inch two track master for vinyl off of pro tools at 24 bit 192k, the warmth is back, and it should be 99% there. As wilco is made up from analog junkies, I am assuming this is what they have done.

The questionable improvement of vinyl comes from when 16 bit 48k masters are used. Unfortunately, that does happen sometimes, but I doubt in this case as pro tools HD is 24 bit 192k.

1) I have a much better vinyl setup than I do digital and I prefer to do all of my serious listening there. I usually only listen to boots and non vinyl stuff in my car.

2) I can almost guarantee you that this was recorded at 24 bit, 196k on protools. a cd is 16 bit 48k at best. There is significantly more information available, and from what I have heard from people with good ears, 24 bit 196k sounds as good as analog, only minus the positive degradation tape provides (warmth, distortion). If they run a 1/4 inch two track master for vinyl off of pro tools at 24 bit 196k, the warmth is back, and it should be 99% there. As wilco is made up from analog junkies, I am assuming this is what they have done.

The questionable improvement of vinyl comes from when 16 bit 48k masters are used. Unfortunately, that does happen sometimes, but I doubt in this case as pro tools HD is 24 bit 196k.

A good many of the recordings -- especially SBDs -- are recorded at 24 bit.

The price is up pretty high, but I think I have to do it. Kicking Television was my first Wilco purchase and I'm very sentimental about it for that reason. For instance, when "Misunderstood" plays in my head I hear the Kicking Television version, not the studio track.

Not to mention that I just recently updated my stereo system and I'm betting this will sound really nice.

Awesome, thanks for sharing the Kung Fu link! I was beginning to get concerned when I saw that the Record Store Day availability was limited to 1000 and not 5000 like the initial post said.

As for anyone questioning the value, I definitely think there's some inferior versions on this release ("Misunderstood" "Late Greats" "I'm The Man.." and a few more all sound like crap) but the title track along with most of disc 2 are all brilliant, as are 'Handshake' 'Hell is Chrome' and several others on disc 1. That bonus version of 'Loneliness' is to die for, and I have high hopes for the other tracks. Price-wise, I believe I paid about the same for the R.E.M. Live at the Olympia box, which was 4 LPs (with amazing sound), 2 CDs and a DVD, so it's not the greatest deal I've ever seen, but the points made above re: quality of the vinyl are valid...

A good many of the recordings -- especially SBDs -- are recorded at 24 bit.

Kicking television was not a soundboard recording. It was a multitrack parallel feed off of the board into (most likely as it is the professional standard) a pro tools HD rig. They might have even done it analog since they are so into analog, but I doubt it because that is such a pain. it is hard to argue with being able to run parallel lines into an HD rig and a mac computer and recording it at 24 bit 192k.

Kicking television was not a soundboard recording. It was a multitrack parallel feed off of the board into (most likely as it is the professional standard) a pro tools HD rig. They might have even done it analog since they are so into analog, but I doubt it because that is such a pain. it is hard to argue with being able to run parallel lines into an HD rig and a mac computer and recording it at 24 bit 192k.

$70 is tickets to two shows. Just saying ...

as much as i love wilco, and love vinyl, i can't see paying $70 for these lps. also, i hate flipping a record after just a few tracks. to listen to all lps would require 8 total trips to the turntable-- that is like 6 trips too many. i'l sacrifice sound quality and listen to the cds.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I find it hard to get worked up over this. Before I go any farther, let me preface it that I bought Kicking Television and Sky Blue Sky together the same day and listened to them constantly over a week in a rented convertible. It was a re-immersion into Wilco after burning myself out on them. I had never seen them live before, so Kicking Television is a great introduction to the wonders of the new lineup. Since then, having seen them a handful of times, and having listened to dozens of concerts through the benefit of tapers and Wilco themselves (AOAF, 9:30 club, the recent concerts for Haiti donations), I have found that many of these are far from the best versions of these songs available. Plus you're buying a digital recording that is mixed and engineered into something completely different; what more is vinyl going to add to the experience?

The primary reason to buy it is to support the band that allows their concerts to be taped so we have such excellent access. I bought KT once (unlike other titles like YHF that I bought 3 times including one vinyl) and will likely pass on the reissue, even with the eight additional songs. My primary reason, though, is that I think the price is just too steep for what you're getting. I would strongly consider it if it was $40-$45, which would be a reasonable price.

Really? I love Kicking Television... What versions aren't the best on there? I agree that IATTBYH is awesome on AOAF, and also the version from the HMV Forum kills... but as far as AGIB tracks, Kicking Television takes the cake for me

Really? I love Kicking Television... What versions aren't the best on there? I agree that IATTBYH is awesome on AOAF, and also the version from the HMV Forum kills... but as far as AGIB tracks, Kicking Television takes the cake for me

Check out Owl and Bear for the AGIB tour companion.

Pavement had a box set last year from Matador that had four LPs pressed on 120gram black vinyl. That one retailed for about $65-$75 depending on the store. I think that $70 is a good price for this package with it's somewhat limited run, and you know it's going to be high quality.

While I agree there are better versions of individual songs around, and that there is probably even a show that has an overall better performance than what is on KT, none of those are on vinyl and none I've heard sound as good as the KT cd does. So putting vinyl together with a professionally recorded good Wilco performance is plenty enough for me to get excited about. Just preordered mine.

T minus 2 days for Wilco in Savannah!

well they certainly have the capability to do live analog recording, but I bet KT was done on their protools rig.

Given that one blurb about the cd elsewhere says it was recorded on 24 track, I'd say yes it was a digital recording. 24 track mobile analog setup would be super crazy sick and expensive, if such a thing exists.

Given that one blurb about the cd elsewhere says it was recorded on 24 track, I'd say yes it was a digital recording. 24 track mobile analog setup would be super crazy sick and expensive, if such a thing exists.

There was such a thing. Off the top of my head, I do know that Zappa used a 24 track tape machine to record some shows.

I may not buy this on vinyl, but still, I was at one of those shows, so the album will always mean something to me.

I do know that the film footage was actually film, and not video or digital.

Fixed it for you.

I don't know if I'd use "terrible" to describe it. All the songs are pretty good, the arrangements aren't all excellent, but I think a lot of the songs sound a lot better on KT than they do on Ashes. The quieter stuff-- Wishful, One By One, Muzzle are all still really solid in my opinion.

--Mike