Kicking Television vinyl box set?

Guest Speed Racer

Eh, I just don't like the way Wilco Mach 6 treats a lot of the older songs - Ashes, IATTBYH, VC. It does 6-piece stuff just great, but KT was all pre-6-piece.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know this thread is from long in the past, but I'm sitting here listening to my Kicking Television box set right now and basking in how amazing it sounds.   Kind of funny that people initi

I don't know if I'd use "terrible" to describe it. All the songs are pretty good, the arrangements aren't all excellent, but I think a lot of the songs sound a lot better on KT than they do on Ashes. The quieter stuff-- Wishful, One By One, Muzzle are all still really solid in my opinion.

--Mike

I agree.. Muzzle Of Bees, Hell Is Chrome, Poor Places, Wishful Thinking are all amazing on KT.

Great rendition of Ashes of American Flags on KT, can't decide if its better here or the one on the Ashes dvd

I prefer IATTBYH in its most recent form, as heard on "Ashes" - also anyone heard the HMV Forum version? Awesome sound effects at the beginning

Given that one blurb about the cd elsewhere says it was recorded on 24 track, I'd say yes it was a digital recording. 24 track mobile analog setup would be super crazy sick and expensive, if such a thing exists.

I hadn't seen the blurb about the 24 track. 24 tracks on 2" tape is the standard professional analog format, so this means it probably is an analog recording. It isnt super crazy expensive to record to tape. Each tape cost about 200 bucks and will record for 15 minutes if it is at 30ips, or 30 minutes if it is at 15ips. They would have two machines hooked up in parallel, and when one tape is about to run out, they start the other one. Then you have to edit them together. They probably buy bulk tape so it is probably cheaper than that.

A mobile studio is just a big moving truck with a recording studio in the back. The put it as close to the venue as they can (back alleyway, etc) and run a big cable called a snake out to it. The process is very similar between analog and digital, but for digital it all just runs into the converters and into a computer. They can hit record and just let it go.

I hadn't seen the blurb about the 24 track. 24 tracks on 2" tape is the standard professional analog format, so this means it probably is an analog recording. It isnt super crazy expensive to record to tape. Each tape cost about 200 bucks and will record for 15 minutes if it is at 30ips, or 30 minutes if it is at 15ips. They would have two machines hooked up in parallel, and when one tape is about to run out, they start the other one. Then you have to edit them together. They probably buy bulk tape so it is probably cheaper than that.

A mobile studio is just a big moving truck with a recording studio in the back. The put it as close to the venue as they can (back alleyway, etc) and run a big cable called a snake out to it. The process is very similar between analog and digital, but for digital it all just runs into the converters and into a computer. They can hit record and just let it go.

maybe so, but I didn't see 24 track analog capability on the metro mobile site. I could've read it wrong, though.

- (2) Sony/MCI JH-24 24 track recorders, 15/30 IPS, with

14 inch reel capacity

That is listed as available on request for their big mobile studio.

See, I did read it wrong. Thanks.

All I know is it sounds real good.

I was thinking the day after Record Store Day.

with the price point I'm thinking it might take a year to sell all the copies. Beck's information LP package which is priced similarly took about a year to sell out and now sells for double on ebay. Maybe a decade for KT doubling in value was a bit of a stretch. I should never under estimate the loyalty of the Wilco fan base.

I got my copy of KT on pre order. I probably won't spin it much, but i had to keep the integrity of my complete Wilco vinyl collection intact. :dancing

I would love to have this. Everything else aside, this was the 1st taste of live Wilco I ever got (a couple of years ago). Misunderstood completely rocked me. But alas, I am a (very) broke college student. I think the price is pretty fair but I won't be able to afford this thing for awhile. :ermm

with the price point I'm thinking it might take a year to sell all the copies. Beck's information LP package which is priced similarly took about a year to sell out and now sells for double on ebay. Maybe a decade for KT doubling in value was a bit of a stretch. I should never under estimate the loyalty of the Wilco fan base.

I got my copy of KT on pre order. I probably won't spin it much, but i had to keep the integrity of my complete Wilco vinyl collection intact. :dancing

That surprises me (due to the vinyl buying fad). I wonder if it is about the price? It seems odd that something like that would take a year to sell.

I have a lot of old records at home that have goodies along with the records. Along with the actual record, there are posters, books, photo sheets, lyric sheets, booklets, etc. I suppose it would cost a lot of money to put out stuff like that today.

For example:

The Quadrophenia booklet

Eh, I just don't like the way Wilco Mach 6 treats a lot of the older songs - Ashes, IATTBYH, VC. It does 6-piece stuff just great, but KT was all pre-6-piece.

I think if you're looking to introduce someone to Wilco, though, this live album is the best way to do it. It's an easier entrance over any of the studio albums. The current lineup definitely gives a spin to things, but its a coherent approach to a catalog that to describe would be like a group of blind people describing an elephant. If they're not familiar, then YHF, and then let them wander based on their tastes that bring into listening to the band. Get them in the door and let them walk about and explore.

I have a lot of old records at home that have goodies along with the records. Along with the actual record, there are posters, books, photo sheets, lyric sheets, booklets, etc. I suppose it would cost a lot of money to put out stuff like that today.

For example:

The Quadrophenia booklet

That was the good old days wasn't it? What's a copy of the album going for now? You used to be able to get them fairly easily.

KT is a perfectly great album on CD and I am sure it will sound fine on vinyl too. I can't believe folks are complaining about this and it isn't even out yet. Those who think it will sound like shit need to leave it alone so the rest of us can get coopies.

In ten years it may be selling on eBay for $40, when no one cares about LPs or Wilco anymore.

LouieB

I'd love to see some copies show up in the European store at Wilcoworld. Otherwise it'll cost me over a hundred bucks, including the immensive shipping costs from the US store..

I think if you're looking to introduce someone to Wilco, though, this live album is the best way to do it. It's an easier entrance over any of the studio albums. The current lineup definitely gives a spin to things, but its a coherent approach to a catalog that to describe would be like a group of blind people describing an elephant. If they're not familiar, then YHF, and then let them wander based on their tastes that bring into listening to the band. Get them in the door and let them walk about and explore.

This is how I became a fan, and I know I'm not the only one. I bought the CD a week or two after it was released. I'd been trying to pick a Wilco album to start with and was overwhelmed by all my options. I think I had done too much research. I don't normally start with a live album, but in this case it seemed like the right choice.

Coming from the point of view of someone who had never heard a single Wilco album previously, Kicking Television sounded huge,dynamic and exciting to me. I was blown away on first listen.

I bought Summerteeth a couple weeks later and was totally confused as to how this was the same band. Luckily I stuck with them and it didn't take long before I was in love.

This is how I became a fan, and I know I'm not the only one. I bought the CD a week or two after it was released. I'd been trying to pick a Wilco album to start with and was overwhelmed by all my options. I think I had done too much research. I don't normally start with a live album, but in this case it seemed like the right choice.

Coming from the point of view of someone who had never heard a single Wilco album previously, Kicking Television sounded huge,dynamic and exciting to me. I was blown away on first listen.

I bought Summerteeth a couple weeks later and was totally confused as to how this was the same band. Luckily I stuck with them and it didn't take long before I was in love.

Cool. I guess I started some of the squawking, because I thought $70 is a little stiff. If you're a collector, then it may seem a bargain. To each his/her own! :thumbup

I'm off to Savannah!

This is my story exactly.

That surprises me (due to the vinyl buying fad). I wonder if it is about the price? It seems odd that something like that would take a year to sell.

For example:

The Quadrophenia booklet

i actually bought a reissue on LP recently that included the large photo booklet and it cost $30, which i thought wasn't too bad.

i actually bought a reissue on LP recently that included the large photo booklet and it cost $30, which i thought wasn't too bad.

I think mine is a early 1980s pressing, and did not actually come with the book. Someone I knew gave the book to me (actually two copies).

Front cover photography and design by Graham Hughes from an idea by Roger Daltrey. [Ethan Russell's original idea for the cover was to combine head shots of the four members of The Who into one face. The final cover photo was shot August 24, 1973 at Graham Hughes photo studio at 9 Rathbone Place, London. It was Roger's idea to paint the "Who" logo on the back of Jimmy's parka.]

Inside and back cover photography, book photography and art direction by Ethan A. Russell. [The photo booklet cost £10,000 and was shot over two weeks in London, Brighton, Goring and Cornwall]Conceived by Pete Townshend and Ethan A. Russell.

Quadrophenia was originally released in the U.K. as Track 2657 013 on October 26, 1973. However, it appears that due to a vinyl shortage caused by the OPEC oil embargo, only a limited number of copies got to stores before production had to be halted. Most British Who fans failed to find a copy until after The Who's U.K. tour.

I guess they must not have included the book with the record for very long. I do, however, have a first pressing of the Faces Dances album (it came with a poster, and apparently, not all that many were printed.)

I don't own any Wilco or Uncle Tupelo on vinyl. I do have the original pressings of the Uncle Tupelo cds though.

I'd love to see some copies show up in the European store at Wilcoworld. Otherwise it'll cost me over a hundred bucks, including the immensive shipping costs from the US store..

I pre-ordered mine from Amazon.com where the shipping is about $7 compared to Kung Fu's usual rip off shipping charges of over $30 to Europe.

The total was $78 or about €57 I think.

Bought a turntable after learning of this rerelease, Lots of fun rediscovering how much better vinyl sounds. Besides about 50 albums I managed to save over the years I received YHF today. It sounds incredible and I forgot how nice the needle hitting the vinyl sounded I am hooked again.