Wilco Solid Sound Festival

From the Lefsetz Letter. If you don't get this, you should.

"This is so right, even I'm dying to attend, and I'm not that big a Wilco fan!

1. Context

Major labels will ask who you sound like, they don't want anything unique, just something similar to what came before.

Now it's about creating your own context. No one has done this better than Wilco. They don't sound like anybody else, and have no desire to do so.

2. Hits

Huh?

You know that famous Wilco track, what's it called again, it was all over Top Forty radio...

Funny thing is most acts topping the hit parade couldn't stage a festival like this, no one would come, or certainly not past the first year.

It's about a body of work.

3. Fans

They're fans of the band, not the track. This is the way it used to be. And this is the way it's got to be again in order for the business to be healthy. We've got to go to the show to hear what the band has to say, not to hear the one big hit. Because if that's all you've got, you'd better provide plenty of production, plenty of distraction, to cover up the fact that underneath...there just isn't much.

4. Take Your Music Seriously

I'm not saying there can be no humor, no one took his music more seriously than Frank Zappa, and his music was loaded with humor. Not that the humor has to be in the material, it's about having a sense of humor, being able to make fun of yourself, especially in an era where everybody can make fun of you online.

Are you angling for music nirvana or fame? For cash or credibility?

Except for that misstep with product endorsement, Wilco never seems to be about the money, only the music.

5. Artist Development

Jeff Tweedy was in Uncle Tupelo. A band that wasn't truly revered until it broke up. Wilco experimented with various sounds, switched labels after being dropped, even made a movie solely for the hard core. It took the band a while to find both its sound and its niche. And with such a rich history, old fans are satiated and new fans can be enticed. It's about more, not less. It's about being in it for the long haul.

6. More

That's what fans want. Which is why this festival line-up is so great. Not only do you get Wilco, you get all the band members' side projects. You can wallow in Wilco! You don't trek across the country for only two hours of satiation, you get a weekend's worth.

7. Even More Than That

They called it the Woodstock Music & Art Fair. And Wilco's presenting comedy and art. There's three-dimensionality. Not just stand in the dust and heat and drink overpriced beers.

You can leave with a story more than I saw the band and they were great! You can have your eyes opened to what interests Wilco beyond music.

8. Location

Aren't festivals supposed to be held in a field, where you moo like cattle as the promoter rips you off?

To hold Solid Sound in civilized North Adams, at an art museum, not only demonstrates innovation, but respect for the band's audience.

Festivals have become smorgasbords. Have you been to a buffet recently? Everything looks really good at first, then you sample and overeat and wish you went to a regular restaurant. Because what you really want is one thing really good as opposed to a plethora of stuff you don't truly desire.

Festivals have become about the promoter, not the band. How can the promoter create a concoction of crap to the point where you want to go.

And on some level it works. But at this point, so many are tribal rites focused primarily on socializing and punching your ticket to hipdom as opposed to music. Most people who don't go to the Wilco festival won't care that you were there. How twenty first century. Where it's not about the masses so much as the individual. Not so much about everybody as opposed to the like-minded. Everybody at this weekend will be a Wilco fan. What a great place begin!

http://solidsoundfestival.com/

--

Visit the archive: http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/

--

http://www.twitter.com/lefsetz

--

If you would like to subscribe to the LefsetzLetter,

http://www.lefsetz.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1 "

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Lefsetz Letter. If you don't get this, you should.

"This is so right, even I'm dying to attend, and I'm not that big a Wilco fan!

I read his blog everyday. The last time he mentioned Wilco, he compared the band to The Eagles (if I recall correctly). I like a lot of what he has to say, but I disagree with him about some things.

I like him because not only is he in the business, he's a real fan. Although he's never been a huge Wilco fan, the last time he talked about them was for the Neil Young tribute show and he said he finally understood what all the fuss is about.

Although he's never been a huge Wilco fan, the last time he talked about them was for the Neil Young tribute show and he said he finally understood what all the fuss is about.

:thumbup

I think the only way I can go to this is if I hitchhike from Syracuse and sleep in the Williamstown Greyhound station.

That would be tough. It's not a Greyhound station. It's a fancy hotel where the buses stop. :ohwell

Also a resident of nearby Williamstown - I'm starting up a blog with info about the area etc. Maybe you'll want to check it out - http://www.wilcomassmoca.com/.

I'll do my best to answer local questions here as well. Obviously the first concern is places to stay. I would suggest that an acceptable radius includes Pittsfield, MA all the way up to Bennington, VT. Lots of small, non-national chains around but very very few big names.

That said, it's the summertime in the Berkshires so whatever you find you should find it fast. A few quickies in the Williamstown area.

http://www.mapleterrace.com/about-us/

http://willowsmotel.com/

http://www.orchardshotel.com/ - more upscale

http://www.1896house.com/home.htm

http://www.williamsinn.com/

I like him because not only is he in the business, he's a real fan. Although he's never been a huge Wilco fan, the last time he talked about them was for the Neil Young tribute show and he said he finally understood what all the fuss is about.

I must have been thinking of something else he said sometime last year.

It was Poco, not The Eagles.

But as good as Wilco might be, bands of that caliber never made it in years past. Wilco was Poco. A good band that had fans, but not superstars. I’m waiting for superstars to return.

I think the only way I can go to this is if I hitchhike from Syracuse and sleep in the Williamstown Greyhound station.

Yeah I'm already envisioning sleeping in my car, cause there's no way I'm paying that much for any hotel.

moving to Boston with my fiancee (from Chicago) last October seems to be a smart move when it comes to all things Wilco. Got to see them last night (had to sell my tickets to both nights of the UIC shows due to the move) and now this.

fantastic!

Is anyone interested in a possible car/hotel share for this show? I'm a 34/m from Phoenix and would love to save some costs with 1 or more people coming from out of state. This is going to cost quite a bit flying from Phoenix, but i'm determined to make it happen. I'm a pretty normal and responsible individual for what it's worth. :)

I live in North Adams.

This is probably the closest (quite a hike but you could walk it if you were determined): Windsor Lake

This is maybe 10 or 15 minutes by car at the most: Clarksburg State Park

For those of you who have expressed concerns, the Holiday Inn is a perfectly fine place to stay. It's really your standard hotel of the kind we have stayed at many times when traveling to see Wilco.

I couldn't believe the news they were doing this in my hometown. I've been saying for years it would be the perfect place for a Wilco show; I never dreamed we'd get a festival.

...if I can help anyone else with local information, let me know.

Hey thanks for the info...If Holiday inn gets booked tomorrow maybe you could recommend a B&B.

Thanks

As a former North Adams state student i was greeted with a link to the article with the preface of "This reads like an April Fools Joke". I'm lightheaded. I can't belive this is happening.

To the out of staters looking to save money:

Camp at the Mohawk State Forest

Get all of you food at Jack's (eat big on Saturday its closed on Sundays)

See a bunch of weird art at Mass Moca

Rock to Wilco

there you go, thats your weekend.

I knew having my in laws in Pittsfield would pay off one day! thumbup.gif And its my sister-in-laws birthday Aug 15th. My wife booked Thurs - Sun. at the Holiday Inn before I got home yesterday - and I just texted her the info for her reaction - me thinking it would be a stretch! Very cool!

I missed both NJ shows - and this totally makes up for it.

2nded on that Holiday Inn. It is really nice actually and has a very nice bar with local brews on tap. It is also very accessible to local watering holes and restaurants...this summer just got a whole lot better!

I'm in for a Via Chicago tent or a meetup at the hotel for a jam...

I'll 2nd the general sentiment about the Holidy Inn. If you've ever been to a Holiday Inn before, its just like that, its a Holiday Inn. Beyond that it has the benefit of a decent bar and a very very central location.

Is it worth 180 dollars a night on any other days than August 13-15? Of course not. But is it worth it if you're coming from far away for this festival? Definately.

Oh yeah, more fun stuff.

Movies:

North Adams Garden Cinema (now in 3d)

Bowling:

MT Greylock Bowl (actually has an awesome bar that's straight out of 1975)

* (413) 663-3761

41 Roberts Dr, North Adams, MA 01247

Valley Park Incorporated (candlepin bowling, which I think is pretty unique to New England)

* (413) 664-9715

1266 Curran Hwy, North Adams, MA 01247

There's also Bascom Lodge, which is B and B like. It's beautiful but you'll have to travel up and down winding, mountain roads. The rates are smart.

I don't want to give anyone link-fatigue so I'm taking a break, but if there's anything about the area you specifically want to know just ask.

Now I can just sit back and be anxious over tickets. :ermm

just thinking here-- but, if i were to stay only 2 nights, would it be better to do sat/sun opposed to fri/sat? Did Wilco announce that the 2 shows they are playing are sat/sun or did I just imagine that? Just trying to figure out the cheapest way to go about attending this. Going to buy tix tomorrow regardless ;)