Not a Neil Young specific comment, but I am not interested in streaming either. It's frustrating that I can stream most every album ever for free, with ads, or for the price of one downloaded album a month, without ads. But to own a digital copy of a new album costs me $10 or more. I have neglected to buy downloads of several releases because, compared to streaming, it's highway robbery.

& of course it's not the artists who are reaping the benefits from this for the most part. same as it ever was in the music business....

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if anyone caught the livestream on Friday but it was really great. In that sort of setting Old-Man-Neil sounds so much better than when he's with The Promise of the Real. 

Not sure if anyone caught the livestream on Friday but it was really great. In that sort of setting Old-Man-Neil sounds so much better than when he's with The Promise of the Real. 

I was able to see only the first 4-5 songs on my lunch hour, then back to work. Neil sounded a little shaky, vocally, on Long May You Run in particular. Then he said something like, "I'm really nervous". I thought that was remarkable. Here's a guy who has played in stadiums full of people off and on his whole adult life but a live stream made him nervous. 

Full disclosure: My opinion might change if/when I see them in person. I'm just judging off that Earth record and also their studio work. 

they are stunning live. lots of good boots out there if you surf around, including compilations of US & Europe where you get every song played in mostly really high quality recordings. this may be heresy but i think i would rather see neil with potr than the horse at this point. potr really seem to have energised neil.

I was able to see only the first 4-5 songs on my lunch hour, then back to work. Neil sounded a little shaky, vocally, on Long May You Run in particular. Then he said something like, "I'm really nervous". I thought that was remarkable. Here's a guy who has played in stadiums full of people off and on his whole adult life but a live stream made him nervous. 

I think he playing sounded fine. But he didn't look so well.

they are stunning live. lots of good boots out there if you surf around, including compilations of US & Europe where you get every song played in mostly really high quality recordings. this may be heresy but i think i would rather see neil with potr than the horse at this point. potr really seem to have energised neil.

I agree, the show I saw in Tucson last tour from close up in the pit was the best I’ve seen live going back to 1986 and lots of Bridge shows. I’ll take POTR live over Crazy Horse these days. Youthful energy and they play the helll out of the country rock Neil and they do a pretty good Crazy Horse heavy jamming.

This is great news to me: https://www.jambase.com/article/neil-young-tour-promise-real-2018-according-lukas-nelson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Never heard of it. 

Must have been piggy backing off of that 1969 movie - I do remember watching that one (Downey Jr., etc) - looks like they both came out in 88. 

Someone should have made it a trilogy with a '67.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm just waiting for the frickin' tour dates for this summer with Lukas Nelson and Promise Of The Real.  They have one show booked in June at that Pasadena rock festival.  Lukas has said in the press there will be a tour this summer.  No vacation plans for me until those dates are announced!

https://www.arroyosecoweekend.com/