• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I have definitely heard more unlistenable Neil Young songs than this one, and the politics doesn't surprise me.

What exactly do you find so objectionable?

(I am a casual Neil Young fan at best.)

I have definitely heard more unlistenable Neil Young songs than this one, and the politics doesn't surprise me.

What exactly do you find so objectionable?

(I am a casual Neil Young fan at best.)

He's either lost his mojo, stopped trying, or both. Listen to nearly anything 1992 or earlier, then listen to this again. It's simply boring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yikes, it's the most over used word on the internet these days but the best way to describe that is cringe.

I feel like I've said this before. Neil needs to stop releasing so many albums, he's released 9 albums in the past 10 years. That's more than most songwriters in their 20s release. Take 2 or 3 years off and really work on the songs. He also needs a good producer that can tell him no. Shit like this (and there's even crappier stuff, as brownie mentioned) reeks of too many "yes men" in his management/band/production team. The producer might be a big one though, as uncool2pillow mentioned, post-1992 was the turning point, which is the same time David Briggs passed away. Though I feel like things have gotten worse in the past decade. Prairie Wind and Living with War were at least listenable.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, he needs to do a solo acoustic tour of Western Canada. That wouldn't fix anything....... but I've never had the chance to see NY and if Bob Dylan can play my town I feel like Neil could too.

/rant

Did anything ever get announced for Hitchhiker? 

Yikes, it's the most over used word on the internet these days but the best way to describe that is cringe.

I feel like I've said this before. Neil needs to stop releasing so many albums, he's released 9 albums in the past 10 years. That's more than most songwriters in their 20s release. Take 2 or 3 years off and really work on the songs. He also needs a good producer that can tell him no. Shit like this (and there's even crappier stuff, as brownie mentioned) reeks of too many "yes men" in his management/band/production team. The producer might be a big one though, as uncool2pillow mentioned, post-1992 was the turning point, which is the same time David Briggs passed away. Though I feel like things have gotten worse in the past decade. Prairie Wind and Living with War were at least listenable.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, he needs to do a solo acoustic tour of Western Canada. That wouldn't fix anything....... but I've never had the chance to see NY and if Bob Dylan can play my town I feel like Neil could too.

/rant

Did anything ever get announced for Hitchhiker? 

cancelled (Hitchhiker). Neil being Neil.

I agree with all the posts here. I'm surprised Neil released something. I thought he was on a real break and would comeback with an acoustic album of fairly good tunes. Too bad. Now that Hitchhiker is cancelled I'm not sure we'll get anything good for a while aka Archives II. 

As far as his good music goes Springfield up to Hawks and Doves is top shelf. The 80s were rough, but still a few good tunes (Inca Queen!). Resurgence, to me, was Freedom up to Silver and Gold (minus Mirrorball). Still some listenable tunes on each album. I did like Le Noise and that tour was excellent. The last several albums have just been awful. It's like Neil is just sitting there half tired hardly playing the guitar anymore. And the orchestra and choir? They've got to be laughing so hard behind his back. 

An acoustic tour of Canada is a great idea!!

I've seen a few reviews for Hitchhiker floating around, so they obviously sent out advanced copies. Weird we can't preorder it yet though. 

• 3 weeks later...