I saw him once in 2010, paid $120 to watch the show from the 3rd balcony of the fox theatre in Atlanta. Watched the show primarily through binoculars. I'm glad I saw him once, and am totally fine to listen to his records and not see him again.

The show was awesome though. Loud as hell!

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw him once in 2010, paid $120 to watch the show from the 3rd balcony of the fox theatre in Atlanta. Watched the show primarily through binoculars. I'm glad I saw him once, and am totally fine to listen to his records and not see him again.

The show was awesome though. Loud as hell!

That show was mesmerizing.  I hope he does a solo acoustic tour before it's all over.  I saw him do that in 92 and it's probably my favorite concert ever.

Why can't these dudes just bow out gracefully.  Take time off, work on songs, put out a semi listenable product.

I really love the old bugger, but I wish he'd cool down sometimes, take a bit of time and record a great acoustic record. Psychedelic Pill was a decent Crazy Horse record and Le Noise could have been passable if Daniel Lanios hadn't smothered it in awful production.

Silver & Gold is the last excellent record he put out. I'd personally love another like that.

But as Tinnitus pointed out here, Neil's always done whatever the f&ck he likes and doesn't give a shit what anyone thinks. He's always been like this - unpredictable and divisive.

He needs to give the keys to a good producer, and just trust them completely. Someone like Jack White (a proper record that is, not a record booth) or even Jeff Tweedy would be a perfect pairing for NY. Also taking some time off and really concentrating on songwriting would probably be a good idea. He needs to relearn subtlety in his lyrics.

But Blackberry Rust is right, Neil wouldn't ever do that.

Wtf Neil. I mean it's his music and he should be able to have full control of how it's distributed but how is streaming music any worse than iTunes?

I already have a fair amount of his music in vinyl, but it's nice to be able to listen to his music in the car or at work and his LP's don't include download cards for that.

I respect him for caring enough about his art to do this in the first place, though. I just don't agree with what he's doing.

• 4 weeks later...

Neil's posted a couple of things in recent days - this one is interesting:

BREAKING

The PonoPromise - FREE UPGRADES!

Because we love and appreciate our Pono community of music lovers so much, all music purchased at ponomusic.com will now be upgraded for FREE when a label offers a higher resolution upgrade of the same recording.

That is the PonoPromise.

People have had to deal with changing and eroding quality formats over the years, starting with vinyl, then eight tracks, cassettes, CDs MP3s and now streaming services. Music lovers have been forced to buy or "rent" their music over and over and over again. We here at Pono, think that sucks.... But with Pono, those days are over.

Now, when you buy your favorite music at ponomusic.com, the PonoPromise means you will never have to purchase it again, ever!

If and when a higher resolution album you have already purchased becomes available, it is yours FREE!!!

Most music available today is CD format ( 44.1/16 ). Record companies are sometimes capable of providing the same music at higher resolutions, making it sound superior to CD quality.

Pono, with your help, is encouraging artists and record companies to upgrade their music to the higher resolutions which the PonoPlayer can play, so that you can hear and feel all of the soul of the music, just as the artist created it.

You can work with Pono to encourage artists and record companies to create higher resolution music.

Just visit ponomusic.com, browse the music selections, and vote for the recordings you would like to see upgraded to a higher resolution.

Check "VOTE FOR UPGRADE" on your desired albums.

Your votes will be tracked on the "Most Requested Upgrade Chart" and Pono will actively pursue the record labels and artists, asking them to raise the resolution of these popular albums to the highest possible level. Not all music can be upgraded to a higher resolution, because some music masters are offered at their native resolution, but with our combined efforts, we will push for those that can. The final decision to upgrade, of course, is made by the labels or artists.

The PonoPromise is in keeping with the Pono mission; making the best sound and the highest resolution available, always.

To hear your favorite music best, use the industry leading PonoPlayer (powered by Ayre), available at Amazon and other retailers.

We are offering the PonoPromise to you, our community. You have supported us through purchasing your Ponoplayers and Hi Resolution music at the only hi res music ecosystem in existence - ponomusic.com. You are engaged in the Pono community and you are helping us to raise the bar. So through the PonoPromise we say thank you. Thank you for supporting the Pono mission to preserve music quality in its highest form.

Thanks for listening!

Neil Young

Pono

How it works:

1) Log in at ponomusic.com

2) Go to The PonoPromise tab at Ponomusic.com to see the Upgrade Chart

3) Click on Find Upgrade to locate free upgrades of music you previously purchased

4) Click on the music you have previously purchased (conveniently highlighted for you) to select your free upgraded Album

5) Secure your free upgrade(s) by pressing - Upgrade My Album

The customer will also receive an email when an upgrade is available directing them to go to ponomusic.com to claim it.

Changes at Ponomusic to support the Pono Promise:

1) "Request Upgrade to a Higher Resolution” option

2). Upgrade Chart

3) Most Requested Upgrades Chart

I would like to hear it what it does. But - I don't listen to music anywhere but home. I would have no use for a so-called portable music player.  Plus it cost a lot of money.  I guess if there was a way to hook up an equalizer and speakers to it I would be interested.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone really want to hear Blue Notes live? NY's gotta be one of the most frustrating artists ever. Meanwhile, Dylan is killing it with his archive series.

I hear you but the YouTube of crime in the city sounds pretty good. There are some other gems in there I bet.

The Blue Notes record/period isn't my favorite Neil moment/era, but I am looking forward to hearing this. "Crime in the City" is excellent and I do like "Ordinary People" quite a bit. The Archive Performance Series sounds like it will be career-spanning, and it certainly hasn't been rolled out chronologically, so any complaints about this release are curious. I've found a lot to like about all the releases thus far, with Massey Hall and Fillmore East being my two favorites.

he did "Ordinary People" on that tour, iirc. epic tune.

I think this release may have the entire Crime in the City.  33 verses or something.  I'm sure this live document will be better than the record.  I think Neil did Ordinary People acoustic a few times.  That'd be cool to hear.  

• 1 month later...

Re-ac-tor.

How did I over look this album for so long??

I picked up a vinyl copy the other day and listened to it last night/this morning. "Opera Star" and the song about no T-bones were the standouts for me.

The only thing I remember about that album is Southern Pacific.

Speaking of Neil - I recently bought the Buffalo Springfield boxset. I have cdr copies that someone gave me back when it came out (2001). I happened to see it on Amazon recently for 24 bucks new - so I thought that was a good deal. It is a good deal - but the box is now downsized. I believe the original release was more the size of a scrapbook.

• 4 months later...

I wonder what the people at the record company think when he turns this stuff in:

April 28, 2016 – (Burbank, CA) – Neil Young will release a new album, entitled “EARTH,” on June 17th via Reprise Records. The album features performances of songs from a range of Young’s albums, including last year’s “The Monsanto Years,” 1990’s “Ragged Glory,” and 1970’s “After the Gold Rush.” The audio was captured during Young’s 2015 tour with The Promise of the Real, fronted by Lukas Nelson (vocals/guitar) and Micah Nelson (guitar, vocals) – Willie Nelson’s sons. The tour included Young performing solo and with the band for a full electric show.

A new take on some of Young’s most beloved songs, “EARTH” features the live recordings, along with added musical overdubs, as well as sounds of the earth, such as city sounds like car horns, sounds of insects, and animal sounds from bears, birds, crickets, bees, horses, cows – creating a very strange, yet beautiful atmosphere.

“Ninety-eight uninterrupted minutes long, EARTH flows as a collection of 13 songs from throughout my life, songs I have written about living here on our planet together,” says Young. “Our animal kingdom is well represented in the audience as well, and the animals, insects, birds, and mammals actually take over the performances of the songs at times.” 

I thought I read that Neil stopped smoking pot...

Hopefully the library system gets it at some point -- I haven't gotten around to hear "The Monsanto Years" nor any of recent boots from the tour. I heard great things about the tour and some not so great things.

I wonder what the people at the record company think when he turns this stuff in:

Indeed.