• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neil managed to reissue the lost LPs on vinyl without anyone noticing.  Now everyone can get On the Beach on LP.

LouieB

Time Fades Away, too.

If I'm not mistaken these were originally reissued on a much smaller scale as part of RSD 2014.  I already have all four on vinyl, but being a Neil sucker, I caved and bought the reissues as a bundled package.  Got a pretty good deal though (particularly when it comes to Neil) --- $85 + free shipping.

Time Fades Away, too.

If I'm not mistaken these were originally reissued on a much smaller scale as part of RSD 2014.  I already have all four on vinyl, but being a Neil sucker, I caved and bought the reissues as a bundled package.  Got a pretty good deal though (particularly when it comes to Neil) --- $85 + free shipping.

Yeah, I got the 2014 reissues too, they were exceptionally well done. Just like the original, the inside of On The Beach's jacket matches the inside of the umbrella on the cover. Just lots of little details like that. Plus the pressing quality is top notch, as always with Neil's albums.

I really want Harvest Moon on vinyl, but it took six years between the 2009 reissues of the first four albums to reissues of the next four (individually, at least). So Harvest Moon will be available in 2040 maybe. 

Listened to a few recent releases of Neil's over the past week or two. "Storeytone" was darn near unlistenable. Rock/folk/whatever should never ever ever cross paths with an orchestra. Cripes, what a dog. "Earth" on the other hand is pretty darn good. I liked how he used the animal noises, especially the crow. My kids found it funny and cool; it perplexed my wife. "Love and Only Love" is quite the jam.

Time Fades Away, too.

was that a Popmarket special?

and wasn't the original set something like $150? 

Listened to a few recent releases of Neil's over the past week or two. "Storeytone" was darn near unlistenable. Rock/folk/whatever should never ever ever cross paths with an orchestra. Cripes, what a dog. "Earth" on the other hand is pretty darn good. I liked how he used the animal noises, especially the crow. My kids found it funny and cool; it perplexed my wife. "Love and Only Love" is quite the jam.

Even the solo version of storytone is awful. Wasn't he just a little embarrassed having those professional musicians playing that dreck? One of his issues these days is writing songs too high for his voice.

LA is probably my favorite Neil tune. I love all the piano tunes on TFA too.

One of my brother's dearest friends died a couple of days ago. Abused alcohol, tobacco, and God knows what else most of his life. Died at 48. One of the smartest people I ever knew and is responsible indirectly and directly for much of my musical taste. Hard to know whether I'd love music enough to start following bands on BBS's without his influence.

What does this have to do with Neil Young? Tonight's the Night. "A sparkle was in his eyes, but his life was in his hands" is a perfectly apt epitaph, sorry to say.

• 2 weeks later...

According to Neil, the rest of the Archives will be coming out later this year. Although I'm taking anything he says at this stage with a grain of salt.

“I’m putting a website out, probably just before Christmas,” Young says. “It’ll be my entire archives on a website."

http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/News/en-us/Neil-Young-Archives-2-Imminent.aspx

• 4 weeks later...

It sounds as if he is changing back to an acoustic sound:

Neil Young is not ready to slow down. The 70-year-old rock icon is preparing to release his 38th studio album on December 2 via longtime label Reprise Records. Peace Trail was written and recorded shortly after the release of Young's offbeat Earth live album, which came out in June. The 10-track effort was recorded at Rick Rubin's Shangri-La studios and according to the label is primarily acoustic. The album features session master Jim Keltner on drums and Paul Bushnell on bass, with Young co-producing alongside John Hanlon.

Peace Trail track listing:

1. "Peace Trail"

2. "Can't Stop Workin'"

3. "Indian Givers"

4. "Show Me"

5. "Texas Rangers"

6. "Terrorist Suicide Hang Gliders"

7. "John Oaks"

8. "My Pledge"

9. "Glass Accident"

10. "My New Robot"

• 2 weeks later...

Heard some of these at Bridge. Peace Trail was good, but some was terrible (Terrorist Suicide Hang Gliders) and a lot was mediocre. His problem seems that he can't tell the difference between his good stuff and his rubbish stuff and no one will tell him any more

• 2 weeks later...

So apparently the ORS 8.5-12 box set is coming out this Friday. Will anybody else be picking it up?

I already own all those records, but that's good to hear the reissues are moving along at a better pace now. The time between the first set with Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, Harvest, etc and the last set with Time Fades Away, was a long, long time. Hopefully this means we get the hard to find 90s albums like Harvest Moon soon....ish.

I know Neil's been quoted as having personal reasons for not having TFA released, but hopefully now that the Archives are almost completed that means all they have to do is just release it.

I would love to have Ragged Glory, Harvest Moon and Sleeps with Angels on Vinyl. Or the Dead Man Soundtrack  :twitchsmile