614DRWZ6XFL.jpg

Very under-rated, IMHO. Rian's second film that pays homage to the Con Man films retains the indie sensibility of style over substance - but in a very entertaining way. Snappy dialogue, great visuals, quirky unique characters, ... great movie.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

614DRWZ6XFL.jpg

Very under-rated, IMHO. Rian's second film that pays homage to the Con Man films retains the indie sensibility of style over substance - but in a very entertaining way. Snappy dialogue, great visuals, quirky unique characters, ... great movie.

Love that film.

Cronocrimenes.jpg

Murder mystery + time travel. A lot of fun and not some sort of slasher film as the picture implies. Adult Dr. Who.

Having not seen most of these I assume it's a good list.

The top 50 movies you have never seen:

http://www.ew.com/ew...0609091,00.html

Not a bad list (of the 36 I've seen, I'd recommend the vast majority), but I'm not sure it's comprised of truly overlooked fare. Then again, Entertainment Weekly's working definition of "obscure" has always meant "at the fringes of the mainstream." Nothing wrong with that, of course; that particular string of cinema still deserves attention, and their target readership doesn't want to hear about, say, an abstract experiment by Stan Brakhage.

Tyrannosaur-UK-Poster-800x600.jpg

Tyrannosaur tells us that Paddy Considine can direct, too. It's a strong debut (probably one of the ten best British films of 2011).

• 3 weeks later...

Bert and Dickie

A sentimental easy watch, but nice after a hard days work. Sort of a 'chariots of water', with Matt Smith. A BBC film set at the 1948 London olympics.

I saw part of that on BBC America last weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

00583634-814433_catl_400.jpg?k=b110b071&pid=350191&s=catl&sn=

I've not seen many Ingmar Bergman films at all so I'm having my own little Bergman-fest. Fanny & Alexander is quite beautiful. Long, lingering scenes, wonderful story and stunning sets and costumes.

I'm a bit of an Ingmar Bergman aficionado, a preoccupation that began in 1990 when I saw The Seventh Seal in a high school social studies class. (That teacher was truly special.) Back then, Bergman was still a giant in the canon, but these days he's become passe in film circles, much to my dismay. I'm still a huge fan, and remain convinced that a fistful of his films rank among the finest motion pictures ever created. Two days ago I watched the documentary Bergman Island, which consists of the aged Bergman discussing an odd assortment of questions about his career and personal life, all while giving us a tour of his island home. It was made for Swedish TV in 2004, as part of a trilogy of Bergman docs.

Fanny & Alexander is one of my favorites.

Going to watch The Virgin Spring tonight.

Love that one. It's an allegorical medieval fable concerned with many familiar Bergman topics: forgiveness, faith, suffering. Unlike its many rip-offs--including both versions of The Last House on the Left--it has a haunting magic. Might be one of my favorite films of all-time.

There are the obvious Bergman titles to see, but let me add two that are usually not included in the conversation: Winter Light and Shame. I think both rank up there with his established classics.

There are the obvious Bergman titles to see, but let me add two that are usually not included in the conversation: Winter Light and Shame. I think both rank up there with his established classics.

Thanks for the direction, Mr Beltmann. I appreciate it very much. I will seek these out. My local library only has one more I haven't seen - Cries and Whispers which I shall watch next. After that I think it's on to Ebay.

• 1 month later...

Watched for maybe the third time since its 1999 release:

MV5BMTI1OTk2MjY2MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTI1NTA5._V1._SY317_.jpg

During the first 15-20 minutes I was thinking it had aged and hadn't retained its impact. The dad/teenage friend flirtation skeeved me out a bit more than the last time I watched it (maybe because of having a daughter now). But by the end of the film my mouth was hanging open and I was as blown away, if not more, than I was when I first saw it. When the credits rolled and I saw the it was written by Alan Ball, I was like, "NO WONDER!!" He's the guy that created and wrote "Six Feet Under," which is one of my all-time faves.

Great, great movie.

600_box_348x490.jpg

51cBFknFc%2BL.jpg

Saw this one yesterday and I have to say it was awesome. It is quiet, thoughtful, original and multi-layered. A rarity in today's Michael Bay/Transformers universe: Good Hollywood Sci-Fi.

Let me point out that I am somewhat biased:

* I am an un-ashamed Sci-Fi Nerd who already has four day passes to next years Comic Con in July. So I am a bit of a fan-boy. With that said, I think fan-boys can be the harshest critics.

* I especially love Time Travel movies. I think because Back To The Future came out at just the right time in my adolescent development and appreciation of pop culture.

* I was friends with Rian Johnson (writer-director) in High School; however, I have not seen him since graduation day 20 years ago But we have traded a few friendly emails in the years in between. He immortalized our high school in his first movie Brick (an under-rated classic).

For a very nice (and a little spoiler-y) review, check out this: (I think he is spot one)

http://twitchfilm.com/2012/10/jason-gorbers-cinerunimations-looper-eco-and-a-constellation-of-cliches.html