MV5BMTk0NDIwMDUxNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzY3MzIzMQ@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

Had a little time to myself yesterday, before the kids came home, so I watched this on Netflix. It was pretty interesting, actually.

Executed like a kinder, gentler Michael Moore flick, there were only a couple of confrontational scenes in there, and it mostly focused on the detective work and interviews with other filmmakers giving their thoughts on the ratings process.

In a rare and refreshing reversal of roles, filmmakers put the powerful Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA for short) under the microscope for inspection in Academy Award-nominated director Kirby Dick's incisive look at stateside cinema's most notorious non-censoring censors. Compelled by the staggering amount of power that the MPAA ratings board wields, the filmmaker seeks out the true identities of the anonymous elite who control what films make it to the multiplex. He even goes so far as to hire a private investigator to stake out MPAA headquarters and expose Hollywood's best-kept secret. Along the way, Dick speaks with numerous filmmakers whose careers have been affected by the seemingly random and sexual-content obsessed judgments of the MPAA, including John Waters, Mary Harron, 'Darren Aranofsky' , Wayne Kramer, Kevin Smith, Matt Stone, and Atom Egoyan.
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been watching this on Netflix with the family.

Not only one of the best theme songs of all-time, but a really great show. Surprised that I've never watched it before now. I adore this show.

Watched "The Incredible Melting Man" via netflix streaming the other nite. I was 10 when it came out in 1977. I recall seeing the commercial and it really blew my mind. That was all me and my brother were talking about for a while. Flash forward all those years.....it was worth the wait (if you like B grade flicks).

• 1 month later...

pa.jpg

I've been meaning to see Lotte Reiniger's The Adventures of Prince Achmed for years, primarily out of historical interest: Made in Germany in 1926, it's the oldest extant animated feature.  It was certainly worth the wait.  As the stills above indicate, Reiniger's specialty was "silhouette animation."  The visuals are gorgeous, but most remarkable are the bursts of imagination at work in the storytelling.  It's a great movie, and its influence clearly extends to French animator Michel Ocelot, whose Azur & Asmar and Tales of the Night are two of my favorite animated films of the last ten years.

Forbrydelsen III (The Killing III)

After the slight dip in series 2, this third series is almost as good as the first. Great acting and cinematography. Episodes 5 & 6 on Sat on BBC4 out of 10. More plot twists than a very twisty thing.

Watched "The Queen of Versailles" last nite. It was the best feel good flick I've seen in quite a while.

As a big fan of The Shining, this film looks awesome.

The link above has more links to watch. The one on the Kubrick fake moon landing is fascinating.

I'll have to check that out.

I believe that I've mentioned in here before that I interviewed for the role of Danny when I was 7, didn't I? Kubrick was there and I got to meet him, too. Even though I had no idea, at the time, who he was; just that he was introduced to me as "the director."

(I figured it out years later, when I was reflecting back on that day.)

I believe that I've mentioned in here before that I interviewed for the role of Danny when I was 7, didn't I? Kubrick was there and I got to meet him, too. Even though I had no idea, at the time, who he was; just that he was introduced to me as "the director."

:blink  Wow.  I don't read every post on VC but I hadn't heard that before.  That's wild ...

:blink  Wow.  I don't read every post on VC but I hadn't heard that before.  That's wild ...

A kid I grew up with was the #3 pick for Danny.

A kid I grew up with was the #3 pick for Danny.

I didn't even make it past that first interview. But I was excited because I got to miss a day of school!

Silver_Linings_Playbook-x-wide-community

Silver Linings Playbook

Wow, this is one of the great ones.  Wasn't familiar with Jennifer Lawrence before this.  She's destined to be one of the great ones as well.

Thats my cue to say.........see "Wiinter's Bone" immediately, do not delay.

One of my colleagues played a hooker in that Dillinger flick starring J. Depp. She's got a still shot of her appearance in the film on her desk, pretty cool, she looks great as a floozy flapper.

Silver_Linings_Playbook-x-wide-community

Silver Linings Playbook

Wow, this is one of the great ones.  Wasn't familiar with Jennifer Lawrence before this.  She's destined to be one of the great ones as well.

Great performance, for sure; but not the best in the film.

I think that the mom deserves an Oscar for Supporting Actress. She was great.

And, oddly enough, DeNiro was the weak link of the cast.

And, oddly enough, DeNiro was the weak link of the cast.

DeNiro hasn't been all that great for over a decade now. A lot of it has to do with the fact he doesn't ever seem to turn down any film that is offered him. If one only followed his recent career they'd think people were crazy for calling him the best actor of his generation.

• 3 weeks later...

MV5BMTczMTU4NDUyMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTM5

Rust and Bone - 2012 - France/Belgium

Quite honestly I wasn't sure this film was going to end up being as good as it was. I found myself wanting them to settle on a single plot and go with it. But instead they kept us hanging on, waiting for one a few different ideas to take precedence. Fortunately some events and one scene in particular save the film and it closes with a strong underlying message.

My wife and I loved this one. Probably my favorite of 2012.

Very underrated.  I'd like to say The Perks of Being a Wallflower is one of the best teen movies I've ever seen, but that would be unfair--it transcends the teen genre.