2011 tour dates?

MODERATOR EDIT: Jump ahead to this post for announcement of US dates: http://forums.viachicago.org/topic/44796-2011-tour-dates/page__view__findpost__p__1454073

Whitewater Amphitheater in New Braunfels, TX is mentioning a Wilco show in May 2011 on their Facebook page.

If this is happening, I'm thrilled and am hoping for some more shows in Arizona around that time.

Anybody else got any info on 2011 tour dates?

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even some general info like "SE USA in April, Europe in July" would help.

It's funny, I'm on a discussion board for another band with a rabid fan base like Wilco and you always get the scoop on tour dates there well in advance, and there is very little of that here. Too bad, really!

Check out wilcoworld.net, the official site. Also, when new dates are announced, they will be discussed here pretty quickly.

Right now, there are only a few JT shows scheduled for December and January.

Yes, yes, yes - the point I was making is that usually there is a lot of discussion and actual posted tour dates for other bands in advance of the band actually announcing anything themselves. No offense to Wilco, but the updates on wilcoworld.net are very few and far between ... I'm on their Facebook page and email distribution as well ...

Guest Speed Racer

Well, they update when there's news, they don't when there isn't. That's usually the case with other bands too. Rumors also only circulate when something's up. I'm not trying to be curt, but if there isn't news there isn't news.

Things like venues announcing shows, like posted here, are one source of early info. And it's a while since I checked it out, but the website for High Road Touring used to give some pretty good hints, too. But yeah, if anyone knows anything, it'll definitely turn up here pretty quickly. Just doesn't seem to be much info floating around lately, unfortunately. :)

But what do you gain by having that stuff to discuss so early? Seems kinda pointless.
As someone who's already planning travel up through the end of next year, I'd certainly appreciate an early heads-up on some dates!

What Recorded Nap said. It really isn't that hard to figure that out, since they are kind of beginning a new cycle of playing anywhere in 2011 for a possible new record. In other words, if you think your city is going to get played then most likely it will. It's like Wilco hit the reboot button.

Then there is the obvious distinction between rumor and speculation. It sounds like you are looking to hear about speculation on where Wilco will play in 2011, but like I just said I think anywhere is fair game.

And keep in mind that the "An Evening With" shows were announced on January 4th of this year and the earliest show for that was in late March (20 something?).

I'm not sure why there seems to be this thought that the 2011 tour dates are being hidden over the internet like on Easter Sunday or something. I can throw out this speculation that Wilco may come to Western MA instead of playing Boston because they just did an amazing breathtaking 3 hour show there just 8 months ago. Usually when someone finds or hears about a rumor (not speculation) that Wilco may be coming somewhere it usually turns out to be true. It usually stems from someone who knows someone who works for that particular venue etc.

Not meant to be snarky in my words, but Wilco is pretty good about hitting every major and minor city and hell they've played every state, right? It's not like U2 who will come around once every 4 years. Speaking of them there's been "speculation" that they will return to Gillette Stadium in 2011. It's mostly been created by fans' wishful thinking. Would you rather come to a message board where people are speculating that WIlco may play Chattanooga, TN because they want them to come?

They probably haven't mapped out anything specific at this point. And if that is the case then that is why there hasn't been an announcement.

But what do you gain by having that stuff to discuss so early? Seems kinda pointless.

I will be in Europe for 3 weeks in 2011 between May and September. Fare sales for Europe summer travel usually occur in February or so - and that's when it's time to decide when and where for the yearly run over there. In 2010, we missed Wilco Europe tours because the dates were not announced in a timely manner. We did enjoy seeing Pearl Jam in Italy on July 6 instead!

People do schedule their lives around going to see concerts - and whomever announces the dates earliest wins.

I will be in Europe for 3 weeks in 2011 between May and September. Fare sales for Europe summer travel usually occur in February or so - and that's when it's time to decide when and where for the yearly run over there. In 2010, we missed Wilco Europe tours because the dates were not announced in a timely manner. We did enjoy seeing Pearl Jam in Italy on July 6 instead!

People do schedule their lives around going to see concerts - and whomever announces the dates earliest wins.

I am going to refrain from posting my original response to this. Instead I will let this speak for itself, as I am sure others will see what was said and how this came off sounding.

Summation: It sounds like you want the best of both worlds: a cheap vacation to Europe and the possibility of having Wilco be there at the same time. If Wilco isn't there, then it sounds like you are putting the blame on them for not being there and not posting tour dates early enough so that you can plan accordingly. And you won't inconvenience yourself or fork over the extra cash to see them when they will be there in Europe. It sounds like you are going after the cheaper experience, instead of what it is that you truly want. I'm not sure if you are that serious about the music because you refer to whomever you see as "winners", as if you are being forced to see whomever is performing when you booked your cheap trip.

I would say wait until a European tour is announced and then regardless of whether or not there is a sale on fares, book the trip. If you want to see Wilco in Europe, it can be done. And from the thread that you started wondering why Wilco won't play any more New Year's Eve shows, it does sound like you are going after some kind of "experience" or rather putting the focus on it.

Sorry for the rant, but it had to be said. Unfortunately, Wilco's management doesn't seem to feel the need to look out for travelers to see them. Although, I'm sure people in Europe felt that the tour there was announced in a "timely manner".

Edit: Folks had 4 months to make travel and accommodations for the Solid Sound Festival.

"It had to be said"? Someone is planning a trip anyway, thinks it would be cool to see Wilco while there, and that makes them a jerk, somehow? Your post seems like a pretty major over-reaction to a legit question, to me.

"It had to be said"? Someone is planning a trip anyway, thinks it would be cool to see Wilco while there, and that makes them a jerk, somehow? Your post seems like a pretty major over-reaction to a legit question, to me.

I'm just responding to what I read and how it sounded to me.

Switching some things around to see Wilco in Europe may be tough, but it can be done for a bit extra.

I guess what really threw me for a loop was saying "whomever announces the dates earliest wins" with the combination of releasing tour dates in a "timely manner". The point that I'm trying to make is that if you truly want to see Wilco in Europe, then wait until such an announcement is made.

I never referred to that person as a jerk. I only questioned their travel plans and methods.

Edit: I made travel plans to see Wilco in Chicago in 2006. And I was going to Los Angeles in early 2006 and then I realized that Jeff Tweedy was there. I made a brief attempt to try and get tickets outside, but I didn't get any. It sucked, but I had just seen him 2 months prior to that so it didn't really bother me...until I saw the setlist.

And all of this talk about acts being at certain locations reminds me a lot of what I hate about Las Vegas. Acts stay there for years and people see them when they come out to Vegas, not necessarily to see that particular act.

Edit Part 2: To make this analogous to me I would present this example: I would never book a flight to Dublin, Ireland in the hopes that U2 would be there, even if it meant a nice and cheap flight. If I found out that they were there 2 months after said flight, I would feel like a fool and I wish someone would tell me to stop being trigger happy on getting a deal and doing it right by waiting for an official announcement and then make travel plans.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just responding to what I read and how it sounded to me.

Switching some things around to see Wilco in Europe may be tough, but it can be done for a bit extra.

I guess what really threw me for a loop was saying "whomever announces the dates earliest wins" with the combination of releasing tour dates in a "timely manner". The point that I'm trying to make is that if you truly want to see Wilco in Europe, then wait until such an announcement is made.

I never referred to that person as a jerk. I only questioned their travel plans and methods.

Well ... I'll admit it, I'm not made of $$. When I plan my annual 3 week European trip, I book the tickets early for one of two reasons. 1) Fare sales for summer travel are usually between mid-January and March 1. 2) cashing in frequent flyer miles for European tickets (my other modus operandi) is more difficult the closer you get to the dates you want - and 6 months out is considered "close". Since dropping $2500 for a pair of plane tickets (non-sale summer pricing) every year is difficult, I try to hit the fare sales for both or buy one ticket and cash in miles for the other or cash in miles for both if I've reached that point. I've now been 7 times and intend to go every year until ... until.

The trip is usually scheduled around a specific event that is a catalyst. A concert, a sporting event ... for the Pearl Jam show in Venice we arrived 2 1/2 weeks early, ran all around Italy and a couple other countries in a rental car, saw the concert and flew back to the USA a couple days afterward. Fun!

If the dates are out early enough, they would be the catalyst for the trip. If I knew RIGHT NOW that Wilco was playing on X date in Y city over there anytime between June 1 and September 1, 2011 that it would be the catalyst for the next trip. As the dates are not out early enough to hit the time window when European tickets have to be bought or acquired via FF miles, it has not worked out in my favor so far.

As long as we're speculating about 2011 tour dates, I want to put in a plug for the beautiful St. Augustine Amphitheatre. It's a fantastic award-winning venue. Rumors abounded last fall that Wilco was negotiating for a date there on the "Evening with Wilco" tour, but it never materialized. They played in Savannah instead. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for North Florida!

They are going to play Chicago first. After that they are going to hit Champaign, Carbondale, Peoria, Rockford, St. Louis, Columbia, and then return to Chicago for a straight week. Okay now you have a totally unconfirmed rumor..... :stunned :yucky :yawn :rock :yay :lol :huh

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

These are the probables spanish tour dates for October/November 2011 according to an e-mail i received from an concert promoter:

Barcelona, Sala Razzmatazz, jueves 27

San Sebastián, Kursaal, sábado 29

Madrid, Sala La Riviera, martes 1

A Coruña, Auditorio, (date to be confirmed).

If this is true, more dates could be added because the band is available for concerts since October 25th (always agreeing with the information of the mail).

I'm hoping we get a show in Dallas in September or October. D-man and I will be there once again (and this time we will be at the front of the stage...claustrophobia be damned!)

And since we always get to shows at least two hours before showtime, it is a given we will be there.

These are the probables spanish tour dates for October/November 2011 according to an e-mail i received from an concert promoter:

Barcelona, Sala Razzmatazz, jueves 27

San Sebastián, Kursaal, sábado 29

Madrid, Sala La Riviera, martes 1

A Coruña, Auditorio, (date to be confirmed).

If this is true, more dates could be added because the band is available for concerts since October 25th (always agreeing with the information of the mail).

That is some fantastically specific information. :thumbup

oh, i´m sorry. I just copy-pasted the information in spanish without translate it :blush .

So, that´s it:

Barcelona @ Razzmatazz, thursday 27

San Sebastián @ Kursaal, Saturday 29

Madrid@ Sala La Riviera, Tuesday 1(November)

A Coruña @ Auditorio. Date to be confirmed.

The most atractive date is the San Sebastián one by far. Not only the date matches with a weekend, but the venue is truly amazing.