Radiohead - The King of Limbs

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I caught the Colbert show. I am by no means a Radiohead fanboy, but I am always impressed with what they can do live. Really amazing they can get those sounds out in a live venue with (mostly) traditional guitar-bass-drum setup.

Yeah, I agree with someone that's it's kinda weird that on their only TV appearances in promotion of TKOL, they play 2 songs you can't even purchase. On SNL they had 2 spots and they only paid one song from their half a year or so old album?

Someone brought up National Anthem on SNL 10 years ago - weird that when they played it on Colbert at the end (thought it was cut off on air) Thom had a guitar on even though he wasn't playing. I remember on the SNL performance he was jumping up and down to cue the horns and he didn't have a guitar then. I don't remember if he started with one or not.

Pitchfork had a story last week that they plan to tour next year and that the Atoms For Peace project with Thom/Flea/Nigel Godrich is getting close to being finished.

I can't remember them ever officially announcing who or why the second drummer was playing with them. I've read he's Portishead's drummer. He didn't play on National Anthem last night, so I guess he only plays on TKOL and newer material?

Just so many unanswered questions with the TKOL record cycle. Very strange, even for them.

I thought it would have been funny if Colbert talked about the down economy and then asked them why they released an album with 8 trks/37 mins (not that it bothered me) - charging higher per tracks costs or something like that and how they would react to it.

Before seeing the performances last night, I was thinking about skipping any tour behind this album. Now I'm convinced they will be exciting live. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy TKOL, but I was worried about its translation into a live setting.

I watched the clips on billboard last night, and I was less impressed with the live versions of Little by Little and Morning Mr Magpie. I thought Thom's guitar parts were kinda sloppy and ragged (and not in a good way), and that the whole thing was a little too garage-band for Radiohead. I also like the album, but the live interpretations from this show weren't very promising. I've seen them live, and they do fabulous things with tracks that I never expected to translate well live from Kia A / Amnesiac / In Rainbows. But the stuff this time was disappointing. Codex was good, though.

That said, I'll see them live again in a heartbeat when they start the "real" tour... hopefully soon. They can leave that other drummer behind though.