Presale 2011 tour

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it's weird. I well remember seeing Wilco at the Ryman back in 2002 and the place was half empty. It started getting nuts around the time of YHF, and now - look out.

Indeed. It looks like night #1 has only single-seats remaining. Thankfully we got good seats for both nights.

And it's possible that we'll have an extra pair of lower level seats for Saturday night.

If so, they'll get sold here for face value. :cheers

well got 4 for Sunday at the Ryman.. back of house main floor but center sections .. the bright side is I got in and I will be near the beer and the bathrooms .... thats a big deal for me at 54

JFF- there's a ton of good seats for atlanta. i know it's a bit of a drive, but the place they're playing is super nice.

I live in Atlanta and I hate seeing Wilco here. I don't want to go into it again, but I explained it a couple hours ago in the Yes thread, of all places, if you're interested in my reasoning.

Oops -EDIT: Thank you for the tip, though. That's kind of you.

sigh... two for Sun at the Ryman but near the back in the middle downstairs...

nothing for Sat.

see you there buddy. mf-3 row x, seat 3-6. got 2 sets of 2 for sat, one set is back center main floor, the other 2 are main floor 3, row y, seat 14-15...says obstructed view. Any Ryman vets with any insight on that?

I live in Atlanta and I hate seeing Wilco here. I don't want to go into it again, but I explained it a couple hours ago in the Yes thread, of all places, if you're interested in my reasoning.

Oops -EDIT: Thank you for the tip, though. That's kind of you.

i know a lot of the concert goers are really obnoxious in atlanta.

the drunks at the fox show last year were terrible, but that's part of it.

see you there buddy. mf-3 row x, seat 3-6. got 2 sets of 2 for sat, one set is back center main floor, the other 2 are main floor 3, row y, seat 14-15...says obstructed view. Any Ryman vets with any insight on that?

The obstructed view seats on the floor are the ones directly against the front walls or, as in your case, the seats behind the columns supporting the balcony. The columns are at about row T.

i know a lot of the concert goers are really obnoxious in atlanta.

the drunks at the fox show last year were terrible, but that's part of it.

Yeah, unfortunately it leaves me with the exact opposite feeling than I should have post-concert.

Maybe school band damaged me. Or maybe it's all the trunk rumbling bass coming from cars in Atlanta. Whatever it is, unlike most in around here, I tend to think the quiet parts are worth hearing, as much if not more than the loud parts.

Yeah, I have been to many a show at the ryman and theres not many bad seats in the house...but the ones that are not as good are the ones with obstructed views and the very back rows on the Main Floor. The balcony is low so being up under it in the back will limit your view...The obstructed view seats are usually discounted.

really frustrated.

good news first, i got tickets to both nights at the ryman. the bad news is that they are singles (i preferred two together), and saturday's are obstructed. damn. sunday's are also way back at row x, although they are together.

they are still selling singles, if you want to get in, although they are obstructed view. if you put in a search for a single ticket at a time, you can buy them. at least you'll get in the door that way.

but this is fishy...i was on right at 12pm cdt, and it would not allow me to purchase tickets in pairs. how can that be? i am really struggling with understanding this. i ended up, after being busy for two hours after that and not being able to get back on to try again, buying tickets singly. did anybody else have difficulty getting tickets together?

argh!!

really frustrated.

good news first, i got tickets to both nights at the ryman. the bad news is that they are singles (i preferred two together), and saturday's are obstructed. damn. sunday's are also way back at row x, although they are together.

they are still selling singles, if you want to get in, although they are obstructed view. if you put in a search for a single ticket at a time, you can buy them. at least you'll get in the door that way.

but this is fishy...i was on right at 12pm cdt, and it would not allow me to purchase tickets in pairs. how can that be? i am really struggling with understanding this. i ended up, after being busy for two hours after that and not being able to get back on to try again, buying tickets singly. did anybody else have difficulty getting tickets together?

argh!!

I'll explain it. Back when I was growing up when a big show came through town, there was no internet. If you wanted to get ANY tickets to see Springsteen or the Stones or U2, you had to wait in a really long line. Generally you had to camp out overnight, regardless of the weather. Obviously, this was unfair for some people who's situation may not have permitted them to do that (school/work responsibilities; too young; not in good enough healthy to sleep outdoors in unbearable weather conditions; etc.). Outside of those obvious limitations, the system was fair. For those with the means (primarily time, as ticket prices didn't start going up to stratospheric levels until the very late 80s/early 90s), the most dedicated fans got the best tickets, or at least got tickets. Were there scalpers camping out? Sure. But not on the scale we see now with scalpers camping online.

I'm not comparing Wilco, commercially, to those artists, but there is a parallel in terms of the level of demand vs. the size of the venues they are playing. With the "democratization" of the ticket selling process on the internet, you are left to a degree of luck. There is not much you can do as a devoted fan to improve your chances. About all you can do is get information, such as knowing about presales, knowing when they are and how they will be carried out, whether you need to sign up in advance, etc. Perhaps the only other thing you can do as a dedicated fan is be careful with that information. It may seem rude or elitist, but not broadcasting the means of getting tickets, much less early, to more casual fans helps. If someone wants to go see Wilco, they'll pay attention and figure out how to go.

Beyond this, luck rules. And, worse, it is much, much easier now for scalpers to get tickets to shows. It used to be that it would not be worth a scalper's time to invest in a mid-level band like Wilco. Now it's really easy, so it's worth the time. Hence, you have 100s, perhaps thousands of hands on the keyboards at the same time. Tickets can and do go quickly.

The very notion of presales doesn't help. Presales have become big business. Frankly, they're a joke, and that's not Wilco's fault. Bands like Wilco and R.E.M. do their best to reserve the best seats they can for their fans, but scalpers can still participate. Some bands charge a nominal fee to be in a fan club. That helps slightly. Others charge exorbitant fees to join their "fan clubs" (I use quotes, because these are often more of a front - not saying they're not affiliated w/ the artists, just that they're part of the money making machine - e.g. U2, and, don't get me wrong, I still like U2, but it is what it is). Scalpers will pay those fees for access. The real scandal are the other presales. So called "venue" presales, for example. The bar for admission to these presales is really low, and they are designed to create hype around ticket sales and scare fans into buying often pretty shitty seats while better ones are held for the general onsale (get some fans to buy the 2nd balcony now while they think tickets are going fast, then it will be easier to sell "mid level" or average tickets later), or, worse yet, for random ticket drops, a big drop the day of the show, or for other sleazier purposes.

You youngsters like the internet? It's like anything else: good and bad. It has in many respects soured the experience of getting tickets to a good show. Don't get me wrong: I've done quite well in some presales. I've also been goat screwed. There's a lot of luck involved. Supply, demand, and, most of all, to quote PJ Harvey, "the whores hustle, and the hustlers whore."

I think a lot of this is out of the artists' control. Some do what they can (I believe that Wilco, R.E.M., and Radiohead are among those who do). Others play along (it's no surprise that the manufactured artists do). There are so many games. How about things like "VIP seats" for performers like Lady Gaga? Great technique: ALL good seats are held for "VIP" sales at highly inflated prices (e.g. $500 for a $100 seat). The "fan" gets a t-shirt and access to a "private (cash) bar" or some such crap. Plenty of people have money to fall for this crap. So average people think "Well, I can't afford that, so I'll just buy regular tickets," but the regular tickets are crappy seats. A few days before the show, the promoter knows they've milked as much as they can from the "VIP" scam, so they will generally release left over seats and sell them at face value. Not saying it applies to Wilco, but it does, really. The key point is that there are a lot of hands in the till, they all gotta get paid, and it's a filthy business.

I'm very lucky, as I did well with this presale. Pure luck. Another artist who's at the same level (both in terms of venues and quality) had a presale this week, but it was very interesting. This particular artist, who's name I will not mention for the very reasons I cite above (i.e. keep the presale on a low profile; don't break their good system), was pretty sneaky. NO mention of a presale on their official website. No fanclub. But deep in the recesses of the information superhighway, sure enough these guys were doing a presale. It was a lower stress situation. I found out a few hours after it started through word of mouth. I got great seats. I told a friend, and he did, too.

You stated, "So called "venue" presales, for example. The bar for admission to these presales is really low, and they are designed to create hype around ticket sales and scare fans into buying often pretty shitty seats while better ones are held for the general onsale (get some fans to buy the 2nd balcony now while they think tickets are going fast, then it will be easier to sell "mid level" or average tickets later), or, worse yet, for random ticket drops, a big drop the day of the show, or for other sleazier purposes."

That was precisely my experience today for the Madison "overture center" presale.

Well it looks like I will finally see a show at the Ryman. Bit bummed because I had a ticket in Section 7 /Row D/Seat 5, which is basically the front row and lost them in a computer snafu. Oh well, I did end up with a decent ticket.

Cool beans. For Sunday I got sec MF-3 row V, seats 12-13, so we'll be within hollering distance. I vote we band together against any sitters! Didn't say anything about obstructed view, so hopefully no columns. I need to find some for Saturday so we can make a weekend of it. I haven't done a two-nigher with Wilco so I really wanted to do that this time. Kinda thought about Indy but it's a bit far for the middle of the week, so Nashville on the weekend is the plan. Assuming we can find the Sat tickets. I've never had this much trouble getting Wilco tickets. See ya,

You stated, "So called "venue" presales, for example. The bar for admission to these presales is really low, and they are designed to create hype around ticket sales and scare fans into buying often pretty shitty seats while better ones are held for the general onsale (get some fans to buy the 2nd balcony now while they think tickets are going fast, then it will be easier to sell "mid level" or average tickets later), or, worse yet, for random ticket drops, a big drop the day of the show, or for other sleazier purposes."

That was precisely my experience today for the Madison "overture center" presale.

Great point! next time i will try this theory and skip the presale and go for general sale, it seems to be true my presale tickets haven't been in most ideal locations

The distinction is between "venue" presales and "frontgate" presales. The frontgate presales have yielded fantastic seasts for me on this tour, but the Madison "overture center preale," for example, seemed to only have the back rows of each section - just seconds after presale started...