Rank Wilco Members

So a couple of years ago I started this thread.

http://viachicago.org/topic/40161-rank-wilco-members/page__fromsearch__1

The timing was unfortunate as it was right around the time word of Jay Bennett's death was announced. I knew nothing about his death when I started the thread, but it was declared insensitive timing and locked. Here was the original post if anyone wants to discuss now.

I imagine there's been a thread like this before, but the poll about O'Rourke/Sansone got me thinking... Use your own criteria. Here's mine:

Jeff Tweedy

Jay Bennett

John Sirratt

Glenn Kotche

Nels Cline

Jim O'Rourke

Mikael Jorgenson

Ken Coomer

Leroy Bach

Max Johnston

Pat Sansone

Looking back, I'd move O'Rourke above Nels and maybe equal to Kotche.

Not going to comment on the order, but I'm pretty sure you've missed bböp off the list :pirate

You know...people raised hell with me and I had to quit the board for a while when I had PICTURES as a part of my sig.

So a couple of years ago I started this thread.

http://viachicago.or...__fromsearch__1

The timing was unfortunate as it was right around the time word of Jay Bennett's death was announced. I knew nothing about his death when I started the thread, but it was declared insensitive timing and locked. Here was the original post if anyone wants to discuss now.

I imagine there's been a thread like this before, but the poll about O'Rourke/Sansone got me thinking... Use your own criteria. Here's mine:

Jeff Tweedy

Jay Bennett

John Sirratt

Glenn Kotche

Nels Cline

Jim O'Rourke

Mikael Jorgenson

Ken Coomer

Leroy Bach

Max Johnston

Pat Sansone

Looking back, I'd move O'Rourke above Nels and maybe equal to Kotche.

While I'm not going to get into this, I don't really know that I'd consider Jim O'Rourke a "member" of Wilco, and if you do then surely you need to add Brian Hennerman to your list, and regardless you forgot Bob Egan who undoubtedly was in fact a member of the band for several years.

Ranking anyone in Wilco (outside of Jeff ) seems shortsighted. While it’s distinctly Jeff’s band, it takes on the colors of its co-creators (you’ll note, I didn’t say ‘side-men’) in subtle ways - ways that far too many bands either cover up or refuse to acknowledge. I can’t really hear Jay on Sky Blue Sky, anymore than I can hear Nels on Being There…there’s something about the inherently idiosyncratic sound of each Wilco album, that seems to define the ‘DNA’ of each ‘iteration’ of Wilco.

In other words, Tweedy is really a damn good judge of talent and brings out the best in his partners, all the while taking great care to ‘protect’ the brand.

No small feat.

I've noticed a bit of disdain for Pat's role in the band. I might note that he had apparently been heavily involved with the production of the new record.

Just saying

I like Pat. I like Nels. I think I like Pat more than I like Nels. But I like Nels.

If there's anything you don't like about Wilco, including band members, blame Jeff for it. He writes the songs, picks his team and gets the glory, so why shouldn't he get the blame for any shortcomings (real or imagined)? Personally I give Tweedy's songwriting the blame for the overall weakness of W(TA). We've heard him do better. A lot better.