the other ones in 98 was the best post Dead except for Phil and Phish in 99.

outside of those two im not interested in any of it. sorry to say

Have you heard the Phil shows with the David Nelson Band (7/2 & 7/3/99)? Man, I love those shows to death. Phil & Molo with DN, Mookie & BARRY FUCKING SLESS. They are truly awesome shows.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, mountainbed, I like David Nelson band and Barry Sless, too, he's great.  They really have the feel and a certain similarity to the sound of the Dead (well the folky, laid back side, not really the flat out rock or the spacey side) without actually playing hardly any Dead songs in their own shows.  For those who love GD but don't want a GD cover band, David Nelson could fit the bill.  I wish I got to see them live more often.  I've not heard them when they played with Phil, but I should track those down, I'd probably love them.

I never realized that Nelson band played with Phil, either - also didn't know Kreutzmann ever played with Phil's solo band.  I couldn't find a seeding torrant of 7/2/99 or 7/3/99, but they both are up at Archive.

yes, other ones 98 was pretty great.  just seemed to fall apart after that.  The Dead incarnations have been fun too, especially for friends and family who never saw the boys.

i love david nelson.  he is the kind of guitarist i was mentioning above.  he has his own sound which is totally compelling that fits well into the dead material, but not a jerry clone.  david nelson band shows are so damn fun.  pedal steel is so great live.

anyone ever see the Deadringers back in the 90s?  it was a bunch of dead related dudes playing dead, kingfish etc.  buddy cage played with them as did tom constantan.  they were fun.  some dude from kingfish was in there too.  it was so fun to hear jump for joy and hypnotized live.

Have you heard the Phil shows with the David Nelson Band (7/2 & 7/3/99)? Man, I love those shows to death. Phil & Molo with DN, Mookie & BARRY FUCKING SLESS. They are truly awesome shows.

Listened to 7/2 today - really nice. Looking forward to 7/3 - thanks for the heads-up.

yes, other ones 98 was pretty great.  just seemed to fall apart after that.  The Dead incarnations have been fun too, especially for friends and family who never saw the boys.

i love david nelson.  he is the kind of guitarist i was mentioning above.  he has his own sound which is totally compelling that fits well into the dead material, but not a jerry clone.  david nelson band shows are so damn fun.  pedal steel is so great live.

anyone ever see the Deadringers back in the 90s?  it was a bunch of dead related dudes playing dead, kingfish etc.  buddy cage played with them as did tom constantan.  they were fun.  some dude from kingfish was in there too.  it was so fun to hear jump for joy and hypnotized live.

I love David, too. I've seen the DNB a couple of dozen times. The most fun was probably in '02 when they played at my friend's bar in Charleston, SC. We went down from IN, stayed with with road crew, and had dinner with the whole band.

I was able to hang and talk with David after dinner. What an interesting fellow. So I didn't come off as a fanboy I talked about everything BUT the music, Garcia, etc. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of The Civil War (HUGE buff), and comic books, among other things. One of the best nights of my life.

Listened to 7/2 today - really nice. Looking forward to 7/3 - thanks for the heads-up.

My pleasure!  :thumbup

http://eugeneagogo.com/Dead-Ringers/a/Q3FMHSX/

here's an old article on the Dead-Ringers.  They were fun.  Loved hearing the deep cuts etc.  That first Kingfish album isn't half bad.

BTW, i've been re-reading Blair Jackson's collection of interviews called Going Down the Road.  There's some really interesting stuff in there.  In an interview with Garcia from the late 80s, Jerry mentions that he was currently working on a big set of lyrics for Jerry Band songs.  That would've been cool.  He also talks about wanting to devolope more open jam material for the Dead like Darkstar.  He says that the reason Stephen was dropped was becuase they basically played it to death and that the bridge was just unnecessarily hard.  He says that Other One and Darkstar are basically infinintly open ended.  I wonder if Days Between was a shot at some sort of new jam tune?  Oh, and has anyone ever heard the entire Terrapin by Hunter?  I've always wanted to at least read it, but haven't looked at the Box of Rain book for years.

I've never watched any of the Weir Here broadcasts. This one may be interesting.

Phil Lesh and Bob Weir will discuss their fallen bandmate Ron “Pigpen” McKernan during this week’s Weir Here broadcast. Friday was the 40th anniversary of the Grateful Dead co-founder’s passing. As previously reported, Dead archvisit David Lemieux and longtime Dead family member Steve Parish will also participate in the broadcast. The broadcast will take place on Wednesday, March 13 at 5:30PM/8:30ET.

I've never watched any of the Weir Here broadcasts. This one may be interesting.

I missed all of the discussion which was a pity.

But the Playin' In The Band I saw was nice and stripped back. So glad Bob and Phil are still making music together.

I saw bits and pieces - the parts of the discussion I saw was pretty fun - David Lemieux looked like a fish out of water (at least little) while sitting with Weir, Lesh, and Parish, but with all the history those three share, I guess it's understandable.

It was kinda cool listening to the Janis and Pigpen stories.

I saw up until they did Operator. I noticed David said something about a Pigpen cd coming out "next month".

I didn't catch the bit about a Pigpen cd coming out - perhaps he was talking about Dave's Pick Vol. 6 - a 1970 show, with PIgpen.

I missed all of the discussion which was a pity.

But the Playin' In The Band I saw was nice and stripped back. So glad Bob and Phil are still making music together.

The discussion part was mostly random bits and pieces, mostly from Parrish. Weir was in a sport coat with a cup of pencils in front of him at a desk, a la Letterman. Lemieux and Weir's guitar tech were there, as well. Phil played but then had to split for another gig. Fun stuff.

Maybe that was it. They talked about the box of tapes they recently acquired. Parish named the roadie that took them. I can't recall the name.

Looks like this guy is putting it up on Youtube:

Weir Here with Phil Lesh, Parish, and David 2013.

Oops. Shoulda read ahead....

What is the GD's fascination with Hagar? I dont get it. I suppose if Tony Iommi can hang out with Brian May then anything is possible.