• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, there ain't NO way 11/17/73 is the best show of the year. But it is mighty fine. And the Playin' triple decker sammich is the best of the four. When Dew ends and they run back into UJB it's as beautiful as it gets imo.

I always wanted 6/10/73 to be a release ever since the first Dick's Picks. But ya get what ya get. And I might be the only person here who thinks this, but: I love Donna Godchaux. Even her wailing in the Playin' Reprise. Yep.

My call on this release 4/5 - and I'm a pretty picky fucker.

I don't hate Donna's vocals through and through, but there are times where it seems like she could have curbed her vocals a bit. Like she was trying to earn her keep or something. She has a really nice voice and I like a lot of her harmonizing/additions to tunes like LLR, Might As Well, Estimated, Eyes, etc. but can do without the banshee screams in Scarlet, Playin', etc. 

I've seen her with her band here in Denver a few times n she still has a great voice. She did a lot of tunes she used to sing in JGB and she had support with another female singer. Sounded great. Heck, she sang back up for Elvis for a spell....

11-17-73 is an interesting choice. In my opinion the PUMUP is the best of the year (and better than the 3-23-74 show). The transition from Dew to UJB is breathtaking. The transition from UJB to PITB (the wah wah pedal transition) is stunning...easily some of their best playing ever...But, in my opinion, the remainder of that show is average for the year.

This leads to the ultimate dilemma for Rhino - release the best shows ever or the best jams ever (even if the jams are sandwiched in an average show).

How many shows were truly exceptional from the first note through the final note of the encore? Not many...any? (even 72 had many sugarees and me any my uncles which at best couldn't be better than average).

How many shows were truly exceptional for approximately 75% of the show? That opens the door a bit...My list is not limited to the following -  2.10.1989, 4.2.1989, 7.7.1989, 10.16.1989, 7.18.1976, 9.4.1980, 9.29.1980, 3.5.1972, 3.27.1972, 4.8.1972, 4.11.1972, 4.14.1972....Others????

I probably shouldn't rag on Donna, as I love her contributions...when she was on-key. I guess by now it's legendary, her problems with not being able to hear herself in the monitors during her early tenure with the band. She makes up for it with some great harmonies (with Jerry solo too), between '76 and '78. But those early days...ugh.

I have only listened to this release once so far, but there was something that I found really jarring during that PUMUP sequence. I remember at one point hearing them lurch into Uncle's (I forget if it's before or after Dew) and thinking, "Well, that was ill-advised."

Just one of those IMHO things...

Sort of related, did anyone who purchase Dave's Picks vol. 1 receive a copy that was not numbered? I came across an affordable, sealed copy from Amoeba that I could not pass up ($200.00 on Amazon, really???) and everything about it seems legit except for the lack of numbers.

As for the new release, it is a solid show that I am enjoying more than vol. 5. Listen to Jerry's guitar on Deal and MD. Nice stuff!

This 1980 SNL performance turned up on Hidden Track yesterday.  I had never heard of DeadVids.com, I know I'll be spending some time there this weekend.

http://www.glidemagazine.com/hiddentrack/video-grateful-dead-on-saturday-night-live-1980/

This performance should wake up anyone who is bored by the Dead. Very lively version of a great song.

This performance should wake up anyone who is bored by the Dead. Very lively version of a great song.

Got all coked up with Belushi and Ackroyd beforehand, no doubt. Whatever it takes to make 'em lively, I'll take it! :) They are indeed fired up for this performance.

edit: I think Belushi and Ackroyd left the show the year before... they still looked coked up to me :)

One of my first exposures to the Dead was on SNL, a couple years before that, I believe. They played Casey Jones, Good Lovin' and I Need a Miracle. At that point, I was heavily into Kiss and Van Halen, and just thought the Dead were "pretty good." :lol

By '82, I was on the bus for the long haul.

Admittedly, I've been guilty of being a Bobby basher for sport and fun through the years. Guilty. For no other reason than it's just fun - he seems like the kind of guy that doesn't mind a good-natured ribbing. But although we've probably ran through this over the course of hundreds of pages let's throw out some of your favorite Bob moments - musical (and otherwise).

I just listened to a VERY good China > Rider transition (2/17/73). Bobby was in TOP form. That period from '72-'74 Weir really did become a fantastic player, SO inventive for a rhythm player. So Bobby's work in the China > Rider transitions is definitely a favorite piece of his art.

I was never a Weir basher, so I don't have to look hard at all to find good things about his contributions to the Dead. I kinda understand why some teased him and even why some Heads down-right dislike Bobby, but its not something I could relate to (except for the painfully off-key slide guitar he would play, especially in the first several years he was doing it (like 10 years, yikes!). I was also not one to put Jerry on a higher pedestal than the rest of the band and there are definitely Heads who feel that way, the Spinners being the most extreme example of that. To me, what made the Dead great was not any overwhelming brilliance from any individual in the band, but the interaction between the players and the collective brilliance that occurred when they were "on". But that being said, I loved JGB so much, too, it was a nice change of pace and style and feel of music from the Dead. I could not say that about Ratdog or any other Weir side project, so in that sense, I guess I could say I liked Jerry a little bit better than Weir.

I think its pretty common, even for those who don't like his music, to note Weir's unique sense of rhythm and the strange kind of "angular" chords and chord progressions he used in songs like Sailor>Saint, Let It Grow, Lazy Lightning>Supplication, Feel Like A Stranger, Estimated Prophet, Picasso Moon, etc. Its kinda his trademark, some fans dig it and some do not. I already mentioned a few of my fave Weir performances a page or two back. For me, many great moments of playing came when Jerry was undistracted by having to sing lead vocals, allowing him to blaze away against the canvas of Weir's slashing rhythm parts and that is why I like the kind of Weir songs I listed above. And I also like old school country and western so Weir's cowboy songs did not bum me out. Check out some versions of El Paso http://archive.org/details/gd1985-06-27.sbd.gmb.79382.flac16 and again, you can hear Jerry peeling of blisteringly fast solos while Weir amazingly remembers all those words (but often can't get Truckin' right?) Any song that got Garcia playing fast or any song that got the band into collective improv is a song that I liked.

And I agree with ya, MountainBed, in those years when Weir really tried hard to play that complicated trill in China Cat, it really made the performances of it a lot better. And if I had to pick one song that for me epitomized the good vibes of a great Grateful Dead show, it'd be Sugar Magnolia. I could've heard that one at every show, I love it that much. http://archive.org/details/gd1983-06-20.fob.minor.vernon.83762.sbeok.flac16 best one ever?

In the teasing Weir dept., my buddy used to call the screechy vocalizing at the end of Estimated his "pterodactyl mating call"!

And if I had to pick one song that for me epitomized the good vibes of a great Grateful Dead show, it'd be Sugar Magnolia. I could've heard that one at every show, I love it that much. http://archive.org/details/gd1983-06-20.fob.minor.vernon.83762.sbeok.flac16 best one ever?

Well that was a blast listening to the above version - I agree, Sugar Magnolia could have been played at every show and I would have be fine with that, too ---- of course on Saturday's they could have dropped it for One More Saturday Night.

Feel Like A Stranger is another favorite of mine.

I love ALL those tunes Shug mentioned. Hell, I'm a guy who digs "Victim"!  :twitchsmile

I almost mentioned the crazy screaming in "Estimated". It's so bad it's good! 7/8/90 Three Rivers comes to mind as an extreme example.

"Pterodactyl mating call" :lol

I was always more of a Jerry fanatic than a Bobby fanatic, but I like almost of all his contributions to the band. For me, in the latter years of the band when Jerry was really fading (the time I refer to as his "dying sea cow" vocals...hmm, kinda like pterodactyl mating call...), Bobby really carried that band. Even when Jerry was on, Bob's vocal parts were so solid throughout the '80s and '90s. I especially love his covers of Desolation Row. Superb!

I was listening to my iPod on "shuffle" mode in the car today, and Friend of the Devil came up. Brought a big smile to my face, but I was a little bummed it was on shuffle, because it seems unnatural to hear anything but Sugar Magnolia after that song. To my amazement, Sugar Magnolia came on right after that. "Saw my baby down by the river" on the studio version might be my favorite vocal moment ever from ol' Bob.

After that, my iPod returned to its regularly scheduled shuffling, but that was really cool.

Love Bobby, but love to bash him too. Amazing musician, but not without his peculiar tendencies, song choices, etc. Also, we'd all look a lot less cool if we had to stand next to Jerry every night, right?  Bob had a lot of great songs. A few favorite moments off the top of my head:

His guitar playing on Morning Dew off Europe 72, weaving perfectly with Garcia's.

From the Closing of Winterland shows in 78, how he locks into a chord and quickly steers the band from Other One back into Dark Star. Great transition, and Bobby got a lot of shit for cutting jams short, but this time it was perfect and his instincts were right on. 

3rd row at Rosemont spring of 94, Sugar Mags to end the 2nd set, Bobby in rock star mode strutting back and forth to the edge of the stage, leading the band. 

speaking of Mr. Weir - justcaught this while studying up w clive davis' (in the news lately...waht) wiki profile:

In 1972, Davis also signed Earth, Wind & Fire to Columbia Records. One of his most recognized accomplishments was signing the Boston group Aerosmith to Columbia Records in the early 1970s at New York City's Max's Kansas City, which was mentioned in the 1979 Aerosmith song "No Surprise", where Steven Tyler sings, "Old Clive Davis said he's surely gonna make you a star, just the way you are." [5] Starting on December 30, 1978,[6] Bob Weir of The Grateful Dead occasionally changed the lyrics of the Dead standard Jack Straw in concert from "we used to play for silver, now we play for life," to "we used to play for silver, now we play for Clive."

that is , umm, news to me- am i late to the clive lyric clamjam?

Well, they "play for Clive" lyric popped up from time to time in the very early Brent Era. It was about the same time when he decided to change "Livin' on reds, vitamin C and cocaine" to "Ever since she went and had her sex changed".

That Weir - who knows what goes on inside his mind. TRULY a Prankster.