• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, they "play for Clive" lyric popped up from time to time in the very early Brent Era. It was about the same time when he decided to change "Livin' on reds, vitamin C and cocaine" to "Ever since she went and had her sex changed".

That Weir - who knows what goes on inside his mind. TRULY a Prankster.

They were doing that line every now and again since 78/79 when they signed. It's a NY show (Nassau 'early '79, I think )where Weir sings "...we used to play for acid, now we play for Clive..." I believe he did this lyric a few times, actually.

GarciaLive Series

I bet a lot of legal stuff has went down to finally get that going.

Ordered this off of Amazon yesterday for $18. Should get it tomorrow. Great choice for a first release, imo. Often overlooked JGB era that was very tight.

You wanna hear something strange? I was there live.

So it was the changing of the decade. The Oakland Coliseum was loaded to the friggin gills on real LSD. They had the speakers in the basement and Kesey and Wavy Gravy etc were down there with the spinners. I ended up about tenth row or so.

They came out after midnight with Iko (the ONLY repeat of 4 nights??WTF) and everyone is kinda dancing and having a weird time. Then comes Victim or The Crime. Ive never felt weirder energy in my entire life.

So if I remember correctly nearing the end of the song it went to a spotlight on Jerry only. He took all of that weird energy and exploded into a fugging solo leading into a Dark Star. Or at least something like that happened.

http://archive.org/details/gd1989-12-31.sbd.walker-scotton.miller.87784.sbeok.flac16

You wanna hear something strange? I was there live.

So it was the changing of the decade. The Oakland Coliseum was loaded to the friggin gills on real LSD. They had the speakers in the basement and Kesey and Wavy Gravy etc were down there with the spinners. I ended up about tenth row or so.

They came out after midnight with Iko (the ONLY repeat of 4 nights??WTF) and everyone is kinda dancing and having a weird time. Then comes Victim or The Crime. Ive never felt weirder energy in my entire life.

So if I remember correctly nearing the end of the song it went to a spotlight on Jerry only. He took all of that weird energy and exploded into a fugging solo leading into a Dark Star. Or at least something like that happened.

http://archive.org/details/gd1989-12-31.sbd.walker-scotton.miller.87784.sbeok.flac16

"My friend over here tells me it's the beginning of a new dickhead....I mean decade".  :P

That Weir...

Speaking of Weir - he really plays nicely and is up in the mix in Dave's Pick 5 - only halfway through it - so far very good stuff.

Regarding Desolated Row - always loved how Weir mixed up the "Was that some kind of joke" line - sometimes anger, other times whimsical.

Caught a couple Furthur shows last week/weekend and still enjoy the sounds. Love that they (Weir/Phil) still have the drive to put out good music.

Caught Weir and some dude/at times dudes on his Wed. TRI feed last night. The dude could play and has a sweet voice, too. Have no idea who he was. Missed most of it but caught th last few tunes with a nice Mission in the Rain closer.

Gonna catch The Mickey Hart Band tomorrow night. He just added The African Showboyz to his line up that already includes Dave Schools and some chick with great vocals. He also wrote some material with Hunter that he's been debuting. I heard a few tracks on gdradio.net a month or so ago and it sold me on buying tix as it was really good stuff. Looking forward to it.

I think this has already been discussed here (I think *I* discussed it here), the famous Fillmore East 2-13-70 show, DP 4, is coming out on vinyl, remastered from the original master tapes.  On 6 lps.  Too bad that the Dark Star (best ever???) has to be cut and spread over 2 sides.  What a bummer to have to flip that in the middle, but was apparently done that way to maximize the quality of the audio.  And the weirdest thing, the last side of vinyl will be blank!  Talk about Dead Air.  It's a lot of $$, but I'm sure I'll end up buying it.

http://brookvalerecords.com/brookvale-records-to-work-with-jeffrey-norman/

I still wonder why Rhino isn't putting those out. I seem to recall them saying earlier that they would be mastered from the cds. I guess they found the tapes. Unless it was some other DP they are doing. It's in this thread somewhere.

I still wonder why Rhino isn't putting those out. I seem to recall them saying earlier that they would be mastered from the cds. I guess they found the tapes. Unless it was some other DP they are doing. It's in this thread somewhere.

Reading Hoffman forums, the first two DP vinyl releases were taken from the CDs.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-grateful-dead-%E2%80%93-dick%E2%80%99s-picks-vol-1-vol-2-now-available-on-vinyl.297405/

Caught a couple Furthur shows last week/weekend and still enjoy the sounds. Love that they (Weir/Phil) still have the drive to put out good music.

Caught Weir and some dude/at times dudes on his Wed. TRI feed last night. The dude could play and has a sweet voice, too. Have no idea who he was. Missed most of it but caught th last few tunes with a nice Mission in the Rain closer.

Gonna catch The Mickey Hart Band tomorrow night. He just added The African Showboyz to his line up that already includes Dave Schools and some chick with great vocals. He also wrote some material with Hunter that he's been debuting. I heard a few tracks on gdradio.net a month or so ago and it sold me on buying tix as it was really good stuff. Looking forward to it.

yeah, he's the guitar player for the ratdog quartet thing bob is doing.  he's great.  nice different sound on the electric rather than a jerry sound alike.

I never get the "Jerry sound alike" stuff." Not saying you, but when folks make that statement. When they're (Phil&Friends, JGB, Rat Dog, Furthur, whatever) I want a certain mount of Jerry sound alike! I think it's hard not to sound like Garcia, guitar-wise, if you're playing his tunes. I like a variation of sounds and all but I don't want to hear  Scarlet or whatever that sounds little/nothing like a Scarlet.

Anyway, I only heard the Rat Dog quintet or whatever they are playing acoustic. Wonder why Mark Karan is isn't doing the led stuff. Not complaining, as I'm not a big Karan fan, but still...

BTW, love Stu Allen and he plays and sings a lot like Garcia. It's a good thing.

Trying to play acoustic:

Bob Weir stormed off stage during last night’s show at the Sweetwater Music Hall in Mill Valley, CA. Weir was in the middle of a solo acoustic set when he became visibly irritated with people who would not stop talking while he played. At one point, Weir asked the talkers if he was interrupting them before walking off angrily in the middle of a rendition of Bob Dylan’s “A Hard Rain’s A Gonna Fall.”

Weir returned a little while later with the RatDog Quartet, telling the crowd, “It’s okay, we’re not going to try to do anything particularly delicate now,” before kicking off the set with “Friend of the Devil” and “Deep Elem Blues.” Fiddler Jason Crosby then joined the group for for the rest of the night, which continued with covers of Merle Haggard’s “Sing Me Back Home” and the Beatles’ “Come Together,” as well as RatDog’s first “Fire On The Mountain.” However Weir was evidently still frustrated with those in the crowd who would not stay quiet, as he shouted “Shut the fuck up,” in the middle of the encore rendition of Bob Dylan’s “Knocking On Heaven’s Door."

always amazing, and probably a fairly new phenomenon for Bobby?

if yer gonna yap, yap in the back of the room, or between songs, or in the freaking lobby.

funny how this behavior seems particular to concerts- completely unacceptable at the theater, or a classical music performance, a recital, a reading or (i imagine) the opera??

knuckleheads.

I never get the "Jerry sound alike" stuff." Not saying you, but when folks make that statement. When they're (Phil&Friends, JGB, Rat Dog, Furthur, whatever) I want a certain mount of Jerry sound alike! I think it's hard not to sound like Garcia, guitar-wise, if you're playing his tunes. I like a variation of sounds and all but I don't want to hear  Scarlet or whatever that sounds little/nothing like a Scarlet.

Anyway, I only heard the Rat Dog quintet or whatever they are playing acoustic. Wonder why Mark Karan is isn't doing the led stuff. Not complaining, as I'm not a big Karan fan, but still...

BTW, love Stu Allen and he plays and sings a lot like Garcia. It's a good thing.

i see where you're coming from.  i just wish that the band had hired a new guitar player that had his own sound that happened to fit the GD repretoire---like david hidalgo...not a jerry sound alike.  though i do enjoy that, it's just kind of off to me.  the dude in furthur is just not good imo, stu allen kicks ass and can actually jam and keeps his hands on the fretboard.  he hits the right garcia points, but also has his own style of linear jamming. kimock's another one.  i so wish they could have mickey, bill, phil, bob, hornsby and kimock play as the Dead with hornsby singing all of garcia's songs and phil and bob sticking to their songs.  also, stick with the right tempo.  Furthur plays everything so damn slow!

what's always been fascinating to me about garcia's sound is that it 'sounds' so deceptively simple when in reality there is so much nuance and sophistication to it.