Manasha was hot? I thought she was kinda well-matched size-wise for JG. :)

I will check out those slower Touch of Greys again, but like most songs, I like the more energetic versions. I will def. check out those Chicago Spring '87 shows, too. Seems like the whole tour was really good.

Last night in the car I had time to give Go to Nassau (Long Island May 1980) a better listen. The Lazy Lightning>Supplication and the Sailor>Saint were both impressive. Those songs, along with Let It Grow, are my faves from Bobby, aside from his straight ahead short rockers. I love the complexity of the music/chord changes and how it provides a great foil for Garcia's blistering leads.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasnt she the one who always wore the wraps or scarves around her head?

I will check out those slower Touch of Greys again, but like most songs, I like the more energetic versions. I will def. check out those Chicago Spring '87 shows, too. Seems like the whole tour was really good.

Last night in the car I had time to give Go to Nassau (Long Island May 1980) a better listen. The Lazy Lightning>Supplication and the Sailor>Saint were both impressive. Those songs, along with Let It Grow, are my faves from Bobby, aside from his straight ahead short rockers. I love the complexity of the music/chord changes and how it provides a great foil for Garcia's blistering leads.

Saint is a really unique song, not sure there is another song quite like it, and it really works. But as for the best Bobby songs: Sugar Mag, Other One, Music Never Stopped, Jack Straw, Truckin, Throwin Stones, Estimated, Stranger, Cassidy, Black Throated Wind have to be among the best, and far ahead of Lazy Lightning. Supplication had a nice jam at times though. But I dig Victim though, so whatever.

Saint is a really unique song, not sure there is another song quite like it, and it really works. But as for the best Bobby songs: Sugar Mag, Other One, Music Never Stopped, Jack Straw, Truckin, Throwin Stones, Estimated, Stranger, Cassidy, Black Throated Wind have to be among the best, and far ahead of Lazy Lightning. Supplication had a nice jam at times though. But I dig Victim though, so whatever.

Agree with all those being at the top of Weir's best, except: I could never get into Victim.  Ugh.  And also, I would include: the entire WRS, and in later days, Let it Grow, and  LL>Supplication definitely makes my list.  And now that I'm thinking about it, Greatest Story.

People seldom mention Looks Like Rain for top Weir tunes. It took me awhile to warm up to this tune, but it's now with the top Weir tunes in my book. I love the 80s-90s versions with all the action towards the end. Garcia's guitar work on the tune , particularly towards the rising action near the end of the tune does it for me. This, with the ad lib Weir lyrics, and  sometimes sound effects/echo, puts the tune "up there" for me.

I didn't say anything about the best Bobby songs, I just mentioned those three were some of my favorite Bobby songs. To me, its two different things. And my point was not to rank Bobby's songs, but rather to share my excitement over what I think are some particularly hot versions.

People seldom mention Looks Like Rain for top Weir tunes. It took me awhile to warm up to this tune, but it's now with the top Weir tunes in my book. I love the 80s-90s versions with all the action towards the end. Garcia's guitar work on the tune , particularly towards the rising action near the end of the tune does it for me. This, with the ad lib Weir lyrics, and  sometimes sound effects/echo, puts the tune "up there" for me.

I like this one, too, and particularly in the early 80s. Check out this empassioned version! I just love me a good f-bomb! http://archive.org/details/gd1983-04-20.aud.wise.92322.sbeok.flac16

Don't forget the Chicago UIC run. The 4/11 show was broadcast on WXRT. The Touch from that show is like you describe from 3/27 - the place just went nuts. Jerry actually took his hand off the guitar and shook his fist at the crowd and belted out the "I will survive". It made my hair stand on end.

I listened to part of 4-11-87 this AM cranked up really loud after the rest of the family had left for work and school. Dude, that Sugaree is a barn burner!! I was shouting and doing double overhead thrusters right there in the kitchen, pure joy! I love that the Dead's music can still make me feel over-the-top ecstasy. Thanks for the suggestion! (I'd encourage you to listen to that Touch of Grey from Hartford, though, I think its even more intense than the Chicago one)

I like this one, too, and particularly in the early 80s. Check out this empassioned version! I just love me a good f-bomb! http://archive.org/details/gd1983-04-20.aud.wise.92322.sbeok.flac16

Oh yeah, great version, great show. That's my favorite Maybe You Know, too! LOVE the Bertha that starts up right as it ends, too. I've had that tape for years and go back to it often.

I didn't say anything about the best Bobby songs, I just mentioned those three were some of my favorite Bobby songs. To me, its two different things. And my point was not to rank Bobby's songs, but rather to share my excitement over what I think are some particularly hot versions.

I know, that's cool. I'm just a Lazy Lightning hater and felt like listing some better Bobby songs.

As for Weather Report, love the intro and prelude, and the ending jam that could go places, but the actual song Let it Grow might be my least favorite Bobby song. The woodcutter's daughter crap really bugs. Seems like Weather Report was Bobby's attempt at a Stairway to Heaven type masterpiece, with the slow delicate intro, and big build, and he just couldn't pull it together.

Question regarding this lyric from Mississippi Halfstep.......

On the day that I was born Daddy sat down and cried
I had the mark just as plain as day, I could not be denied

Ok, the mark? Is Hunter talking Lucifer here? Or someone/thing else? Cant be good 'cause Daddys crying. Anyone have ideas/insight/good carnitas recipes?

I think it just means that his Daddy knew he was gonna grow up to be a ne'er do well rambler/gambler/musician or something of that sort.

Same kind of thing as "Delilah Jones was the mother of twins two times over and the rest were sins. Raised 8 boys, only I turned bad, didn't get the lickin's that the other ones had"

One time Jerry had lyrical dyslexia and sang " Saddy dat down and cried", hilarious!

There's also a Rider from Berk Community Theatre (I think, it may be a Eugene show, though) from 82-84 era where Garcia sang the "I wish I was a headlight...." part twice. Not a bad part to fuck up on.