He used to muff, in Terrapin, "...strategy was his strength, and not didaster....," fairly often.

There could be an entire thread dedicated to Garcia lyrical amnesia!

I can't recall the date, but there's a show out there where Jerry sez, "She had bells on her fingers and toes on her shoes" during Scarlet.  :rotfl

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave's #5 came today.  :dancing

Why does a person spend the hard earned to purchase a show that they've already owned on cassette for 25 years, and had a CD upgrade of for more than 10? Other than the first thought (maybe the best thought) - "well it's because that person is probably insane" - there might be other considerations...the ever-elusive 'better sound', for instance. Heh.

BUT - accompanying these discs includes an essay by The Big Fella, Grateful Red himself - Mr. Bill Walton. It's hilarious, occasionally ridiculous, much like the man. One must remember that at the time of this show Bill was in his Senior season at UCLA, and his team had not lost a game there, or anywhere - IN HIS CAREER. There was his favorite band, playing on his home court, using his locker room as their sanctuary. You'll have to read it for yourself.

Two things are certain to me - first, Bill Walton is one of the luckiest sunsabitches to ever live; and secondly this release, with the accompanying essay is why I continue to fork out the cash for this stuff.

Dave's #5 came today.  :dancing

Why does a person spend the hard earned to purchase a show that they've already owned on cassette for 25 years, and had a CD upgrade of for more than 10? Other than the first thought (maybe the best thought) - "well it's because that person is probably insane" - there might be other considerations...the ever-elusive 'better sound', for instance. Heh.

BUT - accompanying these discs includes an essay by The Big Fella, Grateful Red himself - Mr. Bill Walton. It's hilarious, occasionally ridiculous, much like the man. One must remember that at the time of this show Bill was in his Senior season at UCLA, and his team had not lost a game there, or anywhere - IN HIS CAREER. There was his favorite band, playing on his home court, using his locker room as their sanctuary. You'll have to read it for yourself.

Two things are certain to me - first, Bill Walton is one of the luckiest sunsabitches to ever live; and secondly this release, with the accompanying essay is why I continue to fork out the cash for this stuff.

well, beyond trading cds (do folks still do that? i used to do a lot of show trading years ago) many of these shows are not available on e-tree as far as I know.  you might be able to find a subpar audience recording on live music archive, if you're lucky.  So, i'd probably get a hold of these as often as I could.  i got the first show in last year's set, mostly because of the connection to Richmond and the fact that it was a recording from the year of my birth.  Not to mention, that spring run has produced some quality shows.  I wasn't fast enough to snatch up the subsequent volumes, but I would have probably tried to get those too.  

I was way behind with the Road Trips series, but i've collected a few of those as well.  My only problem with those were the fact that there were mostly compilations of shows rather than complete shows.  I much rather would have had a complete recording of the Norman OK show from that set.  I have a matrix (?) of that show and it still stands as my favorite Dead show of all time.   

My copy of Dave's #5 has arrived at my local post office. Looks like if it's not out for delivery today, I will have it by tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing this. 

I had a mail hold in effect for the past week while I was in Bangkok, so I wouldn't have heard it until tonight anyway.

By the way, listening to Mama Tried on your iPod while you're in the Beijing airport if pretty f-ing surreal. :lol

40 years ago today:

2/9/73 Roscoe Maples Pavillion  Stanford University, Palo Alto CA

First ever versions of Eyes, Loose Lucy, Row Jimmy, TLEO, HC Sunshine, and Wave That Flag (soon to be US Blues). WOW that's a LOT of breakouts!

It's always amazed me how Eyes didn't need a few tours to grow 'legs', it just jumped out full-grown and rippin'. The versions from Feb. '73 through Oct. '74 are the ones to really immerse yourself in - although it could still be a show-stopper afterwards it never was quite the monster it was in that first 20 months. I LOVE the bits near the end where Jer & The Professor would trade leads and scales.

For some reason, I just don't get the Grateful Dead.

It's not the 'jam band' ethos...I like the Allmans  quite a bit.

It's not the vocals being an acquired taste....I love Dylan.

To paraphrase a rather harsh qoute that kind of meets my thoughts: "They are a band with Coltrane aspirations and Buzzcocks ability."  A little too harsh, but I understand what is meant.

Maybe it's a location thing...the whole trippin' audience thing. Maybe not. But I just don't get it, although I'd surely love too.

However, Not everybody loves Springsteen, Dylan or Zeppelin as I do. But I feel I am missing an important part of the modern American musical tradition, but this stuff bores me to tears.

"They are a band with Coltrane aspirations and Buzzcocks ability."

This is how I feel about pretty much every jam band besides the Dead and the Allman Bros.  I'm not a major deadhead like Lammy, MB, or AMan, but I have all the Dick's Picks on Spotify and am usually thoroughly entertained by listening to them live or studio.  All of them are fantastic musicians and when they are bouncing off each other right, it's as good as a lot of the jazz (including Coltrante) I listen to.

To paraphrase a rather harsh qoute that kind of meets my thoughts: "They are a band with Coltrane aspirations and Buzzcocks ability."  A little too harsh, but I understand what is meant.

Maybe it's a location thing...the whole trippin' audience thing. Maybe not. But I just don't get it, although I'd surely love too.

However, Not everybody loves Springsteen, Dylan or Zeppelin as I do. But I feel I am missing an important part of the modern American musical tradition, but this stuff bores me to tears.

I just went through this on another message board.  Its admirable to want to appreciate something that you like has an important place in music history, but it may just end up to be not your thing.  Doesn't hurt to try, though.

And the Dead do so many styles, its a lot of ground to cover and a lot of different reasons why people love them.  I have always thought of them as the ultimate living encyclopedia of American music styles.  Bluegrass, Appalachian folk, Chicago blues, Texas blues, country, Chuck Berry, free jazz, 70s funk, R&B, New Orleans/Mardi Gras, Carribbean, etc.

As Jerry said, the Dead are like black licorice:  not everyone likes it, but those who do REALLY like it and those who don't REALLY don't or something to that effect.  I don't know if you can learn to like the Dead, but good for you for trying, because I believe they are in their own universe, there is not really another band like them, and they have done so much keep the torches burning for so many different threads of the American music tapestry.

As Dylan said about Jerry after his death, " He really has no equal...There are a lot of spaces between the Carter family, Buddy Holly and Ornette Coleman, but he filled them all without being a member of any school."

I'll ponder this a bit more, Crow Daddy, and see if I can come up with some listening suggestions for you.

I'll give it a shot. Crow, for the more acoustic/folk-inspired Dead you might try "Reckoning". Lammy had a wonderful post earlier about this LP. As far as electric goes, it's hard to go wrong with "Grateful Dead" (aka Skull & Roses or just Skullfuck). A good primer imo. You might not dig the 18 minute Other One which takes up all of side 2, but the Not Fade Away > Goin' Down The Road Feelin' Bad from side 4 will hook just about anyone.

Crow, appreciate your open-mindedness, willing to give them a chance and not writing them off due to hippie stereotypes. Mountain Bed's post point's in some good directions. I think the Dead just aren't heavy enough for a lot of people. Even Garcia said they are not a rock band, rather they play American electric music. Skullfuck might be the closest they come to consistent rocking. As for comparisons to jazz bands, my feeling is that the Dead were every bit the musical equals, if not surpassing Miles, Coltrane, etc. Ornette Coleman jammed with them, and Garcia played on one of his albums. Branford sat in several times. I think the respect is there, but again if the Dead's sound isn't your thing, you're not going to see it.

It took me a long time to get into their music, and when I finally did, it was a gradual process.  When I finally got hooked, I'm not quite sure what hooked me, but I went in full force.  I totally get the notion of how they're not for everybody,  though.  

Some feel the Dead peaked in 1968 with their hard-edged, tripping your eyeballs out, driving psychedelic rock.  If intensity and tightness (they were super rehearsed in those years) is what you crave then check out:

Fillmore West 1969 

http://www.amazon.com/Fillmore-West-1969-Grateful-Dead/dp/B000B6VUA2/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1360450082&sr=1-1&keywords=grateful+dead+fillmore+west+1969

Shrine 1968 http://www.amazon.com/Two-Vault-Grateful-Dead/dp/B0002T2Q7Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1360450157&sr=1-1&keywords=grateful+dead+two+from+the+vault

Carousel 1968 http://www.dead.net/store/1960s/road-trips-vol-2-no-2-carousel-21468-cd

1972 was a peak year for the Dead, its when that herky-jerky mid tempo shuffle Americana (gamblers, trains, whiskey, etc) really got going in songs like Ramble On Rose, Tennessee Jed, Brown Eyed Women, Jack Straw, Cumberland Blues.  Europe 72 is great for that, but you could also try one of the full shows from Europe 72 like Rotterdam http://www.dead.net/store/music/live-shows/europe-72-grote-zaal-de-doelen-rotterdam-holland-5111972-cd  or later that year with this one  

http://www.amazon.com/Dicks-Picks-Vol-11-Stanley/dp/tracks/B00004TYB9/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_1

1973 and 1974 are also peak years for the jazzy free flowing and sometimes downright scary chaos jams.  So much to recommend, I have to think about it.

Skipping ahead a few years, you could consider this one   

http://www.amazon.com/Dicks-Picks-Vol-18-Univeristy/dp/B00005V8PR/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1360451060&sr=1-1&keywords=grateful+dead+dicks+picks+18

For nasty funk jamming, check out this wicked good Shakedown Street,  oh yeah!!! http://archive.org/details/gd1979-10-25.sbd-set2.goodwin.4627.sbefail.shnf

Reckoning, as others mentioned is a great live acoustic album from 1980, it covers the folkier side of things, but also has a couple tasty acoustic jams.  Super sound quality, I just love that album.  Dead are singing pretty good on that one, too.

You might check out this awesome first set from 1985 - http://archive.org/details/gd1985-03-28.set1.mtx.seamons.94544.sbeok.flac16  They were rippin' it up!

By no means exhaustive, just some ideas.  I don't know if this will be all that impressive,  but who knows?

While there's no accounting for what suits each individual's ear, I take issue with the talent of the Buzzcocks sentiment (which I assume to be a dig). Garcia, Lesh, Weir. These guys are incredibly talented, innovative players.

If you have the interest to check out the Dead and see what the fuss was all about, it can be daunting to "crack the code", there's so much music there. I imagine it could be daunting. My suggestion, get to know some of the songs. Don't start with entire shows. Listen to Uncle John's, or Sugaree, or Jack Straw, sugar Mag. Big River. Or a rocking '71 Not Fade>Goin Down the Road>Nt Fade. Try a compilation. Europe '72 Volume 2 maybe. Or side 2 of Wake. The Dead songbook is incredible. Once you know one of the songs, the shows begin to make more sense.

I generally point friends to the years 1971 and 1977. Things are (generally speaking) more concise and coherent. I LOVE 73-74 the most, but things can wander waaaay far afield at times. The 3rd Vault release (Feb. '71) is a fine collection of tunes, many in their infancy. Just the quintet - very stripped down, and Phil's bass is fat as hell.

Dick's Picks #5 touched down in Australia this afternoon. Woo! Here Comes Sunshine!

I think that is the highlight. Great version.

Much of the rest: too many weak and/or off key vocals. Hoping Vol. 6 is better.

For anyone who is trying to get into them, I agree with other posters here about Europe '72 and Reckoning. If you listen to both and don't like them, you're hopeless.

I think that is the highlight. Great version.

Much of the rest: too many weak and/or off key vocals. Hoping Vol. 6 is better.

Mr. Heartbreak, I agree with ya on Dave's Vol. 5. They (He) in the promo material really hype these shows and then I hear them and I just don't find them as impressive as they do. 11-17-73 the best show of the year? I just don't hear it. Its not bad, but it just doesn't stand out to my ears. Here Comes Sunshine is the highlight and its not even as good to me as several other versions from that year. (the one from Tampa, Dicks Picks #1 is a fave of mine)

"If November 1973 is considered one of the best months in Grateful Dead history and 11/17/73 is widely considered one of the best shows of the month - if not the year, then Dave's Picks Volume 5 is sure to score major points...A stunner of a show, the band come out blazing with phenomenal renditions of new material from the recently released Wake of the Flood, unconventional set starters and some of the finest playing of the year. The first set features one of the hottest, most inspired versions of "Here Comes Sunshine" ever - widely regarded as one of the Top 3 versions of this song ever, and a "China>Rider" that's up there with the best of 1973-1974, and that's saying something."

I am baffled at the decisions they are making about what gets released, even though I have a semblance of an understanding of many of the factors that go into such a decision.

The great thing about it is that I can burn a copy and then resell it on Amazon, which hopefully pays for part of my subscription for the rest of the year. The Playin' on it is pretty stellar, too, but you know it's only a matter of time, and then sure enough, Donna comes in with that awful caterwauling at the end and ruins it.  :guitar

At the very least, they should have put some nice filler on Disc 3. There's no excuse for a 40-minute disc in a 3-disc set. Still, I doubt I will regret my purchase when that next installment comes out - 12/20/69 & 2/2/70 - as they have, at least, never been heard via bootlegs by the public. The Black Peter they posted as a teaser on dead.net sounds really sweet. I would trade all of Vol. 5 for that Black Peter!