I might've mentioned it before, but of all the stuff I saw in the parking lots for sale and didn't buy, the Garcia chia pet tops the list!

My buddy Mercury had a sticker next to the gas cap on his beater truck that said

"Phil 'er up!"

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man, there's a ton of lot stuff I passed on buying that I now wished I woulda picked up and socked away.

Never had a car of my owned until 97, so I never bothered with bumper stickers.

In the Chicago area, the below shirt was quite popular. I bought a red one and gave it to a friend.

$%28KGrHqV,!oEF!QRgiRBtBQLtK%28jMp!~~60_

Seconded. I'll still see them as many times as I can, but I don't ever expect another Don't Fear the Reaper encore or a surprise Ziggy Stardust.

Hell, I'd be psyched just to see another obscure song (More Like the Moon, Venus Stopped the Train, etc.), but then, that's why we are the fanatics on the message board and not just casual concertgoers...

Solid Sound doesn't disappoint.

Never had a car of my owned until 97, so I never bothered with bumper stickers.

In the Chicago area, the below shirt was quite popular. I bought a red one and gave it to a friend.

$%28KGrHqV,!oEF!QRgiRBtBQLtK%28jMp!~~60_

I've got the un-tie-dyed version of that shirt. Also gave onesie versions of that shirt to a bunch of friends after they had kids. Popular gift. 

Favorite sticker: "Bobby fans are people too" with a picture of a glum look Weir.

I've got the un-tie-dyed version of that shirt. Also gave onesie versions of that shirt to a bunch of friends after they had kids. Popular gift. 

Favorite sticker: "Bobby fans are people too" with a picture of a glum look Weir.

I enjoyed that Bobby sticker - I was one of those Bobby fans who got flack from my friends because I was always sticking up for him.

When I start listening to the Dead (86-87), I made an all Bobby mix tape and always listened to it. I was a teenager at the time, so I guess his more rocking songs suited me better at the time.

I caught most of the 1st set and a little of the 2nd - it was pretty damn good - it was fun watching Russo playing the drums.

The quality of the feed and production was very good, too.

Furthur actually webcast all four nights. I caught nights #3 and #4. Night four was pretty dang good with a good Truckin' opener that went into a nice little jam and the show stayed good all the way through, I was rather impressed, but I also wasn't expecting all that much (first time I've checked out Furthur).

Night #3 had a kinda lazy first set to my ears, but the second set had a good Dark Star>Morning Dew>Dark Star>Terrapin sequence with some good spacey playing.

Phil, to me, is the anchor with his consistently jazzy complex and energetic bass playing. I'm fine with the precise and articulate playing from Kadlecik and Chimenti, I think their relatively youthful energy keeps things moving along on a good night, plus they have studied the songs and probably have more motivation to keep the intensity up in a historically accurate way than Phil or Bobby do. Bobby looks a little tired and old (he'd look younger if he was clean shaven) but if the rest of the band gets cooking he can follow with his cool rhythm playing. Not sure he's really the guy to get things rolling himself, though, at this point in his life. Weakest link for me is the drumming. Russo is competent but not enough power for my tastes. He's more like Kreutzman in the early 70s, so I'm sure lots of people dig that. I miss having two drummers, myself.

A new video from Dave (About DP Number 5.)

And here's an interview with Tim Truman (who is from my state): Tim Truman interview.

I love how he says he's going to be brief, and then talks for almost 15 minutes! Hilarious. :lol

Based on the strength of the 1969-70 material on DP Number 6, I decided to do the subscription for this year. Looking forward to hearing it all.

I love how he says he's going to be brief, and then talks for almost 15 minutes! Hilarious. :lol

Based on the strength of the 1969-70 material on DP Number 6, I decided to do the subscription for this year. Looking forward to hearing it all.

I have a feeling that guy could go on for hours.

^Which is why we love the guy.  :thumbup  If I'm on a good roll and around people of like-mind I can yak about the band all day. 

At times I wanna say, "I get it, David - it's one of the best ever" :lol

It's a bit of bummer that Blair Jackson is going to stop writing his blog post over at Dead.net - it usually was an interesting read.

Furthur actually webcast all four nights. I caught nights #3 and #4. Night four was pretty dang good with a good Truckin' opener that went into a nice little jam and the show stayed good all the way through, I was rather impressed, but I also wasn't expecting all that much (first time I've checked out Furthur).

Night #3 had a kinda lazy first set to my ears, but the second set had a good Dark Star>Morning Dew>Dark Star>Terrapin sequence with some good spacey playing.

Phil, to me, is the anchor with his consistently jazzy complex and energetic bass playing. I'm fine with the precise and articulate playing from Kadlecik and Chimenti, I think their relatively youthful energy keeps things moving along on a good night, plus they have studied the songs and probably have more motivation to keep the intensity up in a historically accurate way than Phil or Bobby do. Bobby looks a little tired and old (he'd look younger if he was clean shaven) but if the rest of the band gets cooking he can follow with his cool rhythm playing. Not sure he's really the guy to get things rolling himself, though, at this point in his life. Weakest link for me is the drumming. Russo is competent but not enough power for my tastes. He's more like Kreutzman in the early 70s, so I'm sure lots of people dig that. I miss having two drummers, myself.

Yeah his drums do sound a bit "thin" (for the lack of a better word) in the mix. I only saw them play once, last summer, and I think I remember feeling that way after the show (which I thought was great, overall). But on the webcast, he was entertaining to watch.

Yeah, I remember when that one came to life, winterland. The 'Ask the Band" segment from the NYE '87 pay-per-view. The kid asked that question, then they went back to the band and you could just see how much they enjoyed that.

Best Touch of Grey ever!!?

http://archive.org/details/gd1987-03-27.sbd.seaweed.111241.flac2448

The crowd is just ROARING for the "we will survive" parts and the whole performance is over-the-top jubilant. First East Coast tour since Jerry's coma, I think. They were fucking stoked to have him back and healthy.

Spring '87 is blowing me away. Two killer nights in Hartford, the last night in Philly is way hot, and I'll bet there are more gems from that tour that I haven't discovered yet, AWESOME!

The crowd is just ROARING for the "we will survive" parts and the whole performance is over-the-top jubilant. First East Coast tour since Jerry's coma, I think. They were fucking stoked to have him back and healthy.

Spring '87 is blowing me away. Two killer nights in Hartford, the last night in Philly is way hot, and I'll bet there are more gems from that tour that I haven't discovered yet, AWESOME!

The first tune back after the coma was Touch (in Oakland). That one is pretty memorable. I actually prefer the earlier Touch's ('82-83). The slower/funkier versions. One of my all-time favorites is from Lake Placid Oct '83. Bobby's rhythm on it is really cool (lots of wah-wah type twang the whole show from him....check out the Revolution encore, too) and Garcia's voice is all high and nasally but sounds great for the tune....

Don't forget the Chicago UIC run. The 4/11 show was broadcast on WXRT. The Touch from that show is like you describe from 3/27 - the place just went nuts. Jerry actually took his hand off the guitar and shook his fist at the crowd and belted out the "I will survive". It made my hair stand on end.

Don't forget the Chicago UIC run. The 4/11 show was broadcast on WXRT.

Wow did my neighborhood get flooded with goodies after that run. Yowza!

Wow did my neighborhood get flooded with goodies after that run. Yowza!

I bought one of my favorite bumper stickers ever on the street that night. All it said, in big block letters, was "REAGAN KNEW".

Also - I'm fairly certain it was on this Chicago run that JG finally hooked it up with Manasha FOR REALZ.

I bought one of my favorite bumper stickers ever on the street that night. All it said, in big block letters, was "REAGAN KNEW".

Also - I'm fairly certain it was on this Chicago run that JG finally hooked it up with Manasha FOR REALZ.

Heh! I had that exact same bumper sticker.

Manasha was pretty hot. Sounded like she was really good for him too.