my bad timing is legend among my pals, i was out from Spain in 81... :crybaby

Not only did they play in Barcelona, they did a SPANISH JAM. 

IN SPAIN. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just listened to Wilco 11-02-2002...wow - amazing show..

Been listening to a lot of 2002 Wilco - that was a really impressive year for them...

Wilco 2002 is equivalent to Grateful Dead 1972????

http://wilcoarchive.com/wilco%2020021102/

WilcoTampa TheaterTampa, FLNovember 2nd, 2002SOUNDBOARD MASTER RECORDING A+RECORDED BY JIM FIESLERThanks to Jim for this great recording!!Seeded @ dimeadozen.org by avnut (avnutondime@gmail.com) 2/18/08Stereo Soundboard Recording>Sony D-8 @ 44.1 XLR 1/8" DAT Master>CDR>EAC>WAV>Flac Level 8Uncirculated SBD Master Recording > Shared With You! Share The Music, Enjoy. Peace! disc one - 54:081.  Intro2.  Hesitating Beauty3.  One by One4.  Sunken Treasure5.  Less Than You Think6.  I Am Trying To Break Your Heart7.  War on War8.  Kamera9.  Shot in the Arm10.  How To Fight Loneliness / Not For The Seasondisc two - 62:281.  Jesus Etc.2.  Heavy Metal Drummer3.  I'm The Man Who Loves You4.  Poor Places/ Reservationsencore5.  Misunderstood6.  Far Far Away7.  Monday8.  Outta Sight (Outta Mind)second encore9.  Red Eyed and Blue/I've Got You At The End Of The Century10. California Stars

Just listened to Wilco 11-02-2002...wow - amazing show..

Been listening to a lot of 2002 Wilco - that was a really impressive year for them...

Wilco 2002 is equivalent to Grateful Dead 1972????

http://wilcoarchive.com/wilco%2020021102/

WilcoTampa TheaterTampa, FLNovember 2nd, 2002SOUNDBOARD MASTER RECORDING A+RECORDED BY JIM FIESLERThanks to Jim for this great recording!!Seeded @ dimeadozen.org by avnut (avnutondime@gmail.com) 2/18/08Stereo Soundboard Recording>Sony D-8 @ 44.1 XLR 1/8" DAT Master>CDR>EAC>WAV>Flac Level 8Uncirculated SBD Master Recording > Shared With You! Share The Music, Enjoy. Peace! disc one - 54:081.  Intro2.  Hesitating Beauty3.  One by One4.  Sunken Treasure5.  Less Than You Think6.  I Am Trying To Break Your Heart7.  War on War8.  Kamera9.  Shot in the Arm10.  How To Fight Loneliness / Not For The Seasondisc two - 62:281.  Jesus Etc.2.  Heavy Metal Drummer3.  I'm The Man Who Loves You4.  Poor Places/ Reservationsencore5.  Misunderstood6.  Far Far Away7.  Monday8.  Outta Sight (Outta Mind)second encore9.  Red Eyed and Blue/I've Got You At The End Of The Century10. California Stars

I was in the front row for that show and it rocked. I don't remember if you can hear the hubbub during Shot in the Arm, but the (mostly seated) crowd rushed into the pit and stayed standing and dancing until the end.

The next night in Gainesville was even better.

I can't even begin to compare any era of Wilco to The Dead. It's just a completely different thing to me.

I HAVE thought about this one, though:

GD 72 / Phish 93

GD 73 / Phish 94

GD 74 / Phish 95

Both bands at the height of their powers, both getting more and more sophisticated in their jamming, both never again achieving the 'turn on a dime' improvisation afterwards. 

over the past few years it's dawned on me how lucky i was to be in my teens and 20s in the 90s when phish was at their peak.  i meet kids these days who are in awe that i saw shows in 90-00 and many of the live phish releases to boot.  it's like me meeting someone who was at cornell.  i don't listen to phish much anymore, but i have to say that it is really fun to see many of the shows i went to as famous phish shows in history.  at this point, i don't think i could stomach a phish show today.  the scene is just ridiculous and i was pretty burned out by the late 90s.  unlike the dead in the 90s, it was easy to see a shitload of phish shows in a row as they played many venues in the same state.  hell, i think i saw every show in the midwest from 91 on.  cheap tickets too.  met the band a bunch of times...they used to hang out before and after shows.  anyway, fly famous mockingbird!

fwiw, i love listening to dead and phish studio albums lately.  can't beat Rift or Mars Hotel.

35 years ago today - yes, there's the novelty of the "Close Encounters Jam", but do yourself a favor and check out the entire "Other One". Over 20 minutes, and a throwback to '70-'71 Other Ones. Seriously. This tune lost a LOT post-hiatus ('76-'95) imo, but this is not of those times. Pretty epic, I'd say one of the better version in the last 20 years.

Consensus on a music message board? Are you high? :) :) :)

2008 would be my pick for best year of Wilco. Nels, Pat, Glenn and horn section, Sky Blue Sky tunes getting played a lot, Nudie suit, 2008 can't be beat, IMO :)

I have always thought 1972 was the best year for the Grateful Dead. Is there a consensus on Wilco's best years? 2002 to me seems to be at least right up there...

That works for me. I saw 3 of the 4 Florida shows, and they were great. To this day, I'm bummed that I missed the West Palm show because they played "We've Been Had," and to this day I haven't seen them play it.

The Evening with Wilco tour was pretty stellar too...

Edit: Apologies to all my fellow Deadheads for participating thoroughly in the derailment of this thread.

I really like the recent stuff post 2008, and I'll continue to see as many shows as I can, but the shows seem very similar and almost too formulaic. The jams / solos are nearly identical show to show and the show format doesn't seem to change (except for the chicago 2011 shows). I like it though because it is nearly exceptional night to night - but sometimes it just seems like the same show over and over again. Reminds me of GD 1977 - exceptional but lacking in improvisation. The earlier Wilco stuff (especially 2001 / 2002 / 2003) seemed a bit rawer and without a net-ish.

The earlier Wilco stuff (especially 2001 / 2002 / 2003) seemed a bit rawer and without a net-ish.

Seconded. I'll still see them as many times as I can, but I don't ever expect another Don't Fear the Reaper encore or a surprise Ziggy Stardust.

Hell, I'd be psyched just to see another obscure song (More Like the Moon, Venus Stopped the Train, etc.), but then, that's why we are the fanatics on the message board and not just casual concertgoers...

"Not all who wander are lost" - commonly seen bumpersticker on hippie automobiles :)

I got one on my guitar case from a YMSB show - "Not all who Yonder are lost"  :stunned

"Of all the things I lost on tour, I miss my mind the most"

^one of my favorite stickers from those halcyon days^