I am like a broken record with regards to the 7/19/89 Alpine show - but I second Lammycat regarding the Deal - plus you can purchase the Downhill from Here DVD and see the performance - it's a good one. I am sure it's up on Youtube, too.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fricke's top 20 shows - I know these things are subjective, and he had some nice choices, but there is a glaring omission - NO '73? ARE YOU KIDDING? BEST YEAR EVER IMO, AND NO KEZAR? NO RFK? NOTHING FROM FALL TOUR? JESUS, MAN!

Sorry, I got a little worked up there. 

Lake Placid '83

Barton Hall, Cornell  5.8.77

Alpine '89

Iowa 6.16.74

Those are a few I can think of off the top. Plenty others, though. There's one from Hampton, VA ('83 I think) that is pretty ridiculous, as well. Looong hanging note towards the end. Garcia Band versions, particularly '82-83 are typically smoking, too.

Lammycat knows his shit! The top three versions of Deal on http://headyversion.com/song/69/grateful-dead/deal/ are the first three he mentioned. and the Iowa '74 one is on the list, too. Nice work, dude!

Fricke's top 20 shows - I know these things are subjective, and he had some nice choices, but there is a glaring omission - NO '73? ARE YOU KIDDING? BEST YEAR EVER IMO, AND NO KEZAR? NO RFK? NOTHING FROM FALL TOUR? JESUS, MAN!

Sorry, I got a little worked up there.

That's ok, can't blame ya! My personal nit is that I would go with Roosevelt Stadium 8-6-74 over the Philly shows the previous nights. It's a monster. And it was my first :)

Always subjective these lists are, but I always like pouring over lists of GD shows. Reminds me of shows to pull off the shelf.

Aren't there excerpts from the new Rosie McGee book and new articles/photos, though?

Yes.

Looks like they finally released the setlists for Dave's Picks Vol. 6:

http://www.dead.net/store/daves-picks-store/daves-picks-volume-6-san-francisco-122069-cd-st-louis-2270

Interesting. I am looking forward to this, was pretty underwhelmed by the last release. Not terrible, but nothing really outstanding on it that I didn't already have better versions of...

Well, anytime you get a couple of TC-Era Dark Stars it's a good thing.

Quick question:

I notice that the Denver '73 Roadtrips CD is all sold out via Deadnet. Does that normally mean for good with a series like that or will more copies be pressed?

I want to say I read or David said somewhere that all of those were going to be available again. But - I may be wrong about that.

Dave's Picks Volume 6 is available for pre-order: Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, CA 12/20/69 and Fox Theater, St. Louis, MO 2/2/70.

I hope some of those are still available on Monday. I can't order it until then.

Quick question:

I notice that the Denver '73 Roadtrips CD is all sold out via Deadnet. Does that normally mean for good with a series like that or will more copies be pressed?

If you missed out on this Roadtrips, a while back Hidden Track put out one of their compilations series, Steel Cut Oats Vol. 7, A Mile High in '73.  Taken from the same shows, 37 tracks, it's outstanding.  Check their site, or I can hook you up with it via Dropbox or something.

I think Hampton 88 gets overlooked a lot because of 89.
I remember 2nd set and a So What>Sugar Mag>Scarlet >Fire maybe??

I think I was 16 and these people in front of me started hugging and going apeshit when they broke into Scarlet and Jerry went the F OFF and I was thinking WOW theres something going on here and this aint a Black Flag or Circle Jerks show :)

I think Hampton 88 gets overlooked a lot because of 89.

I remember 2nd set and a So What>Sugar Mag>Scarlet >Fire maybe??

I think I was 16 and these people in front of me started hugging and going apeshit when they broke into Scarlet and Jerry went the F OFF and I was thinking WOW theres something going on here and this aint a Black Flag or Circle Jerks show :)

Yeah, The So What spacey mini-jam into Sugar Mag, etc.. One of only a few Ballad of a Thin Man in the first set, too. I went to the 88s as well as the 89s. Hampton was always a great, small place to see shows. As good as the 88s were, they weren't nearly as special as the Warlocks shows the following year.

I was at both and to me they were both very special points in my life musically and otherwise.

I was a HUGE Help>Slip>Franklin guy so I about stroked out the first night in 89

To me if I wanted to turn someone like say Jeff Tweedy or whoever onto GD I would take that Great American Music Hall CD and tell them hey this is the first time they ever played these songs live and then just start with the Bill Graham intro. Greatness for sure

To me if I wanted to turn someone like say Jeff Tweedy or whoever onto GD I would take that Great American Music Hall CD and tell them hey this is the first time they ever played these songs live and then just start with the Bill Graham intro. Greatness for sure

One of the things I like about those silly lists like Fricke did is that they remind me of shows/albums I haven't listened to in a long time.  Case in point here, that Great American Music Hall show, DP 1.  Hadn't listened to it in years.  The playing is fantastic, so tight. And anytime I get to hear Uncle Bill's voice is a good time.  I remember how psyched I was when this first DP was released, the Dead opening up the vault.

Not to nitpick - but I guess I am - Music Hall was the first Vault release  (One from the Vault)- Dick's Pick 1 was parts of the the 12/73 Tampa show. I always enjoyed Two from the Vault more than the first (thought the first one is great). 

Not to nitpick - but I guess I am - Music Hall was the first Vault release  (One from the Vault)- Dick's Pick 1 was parts of the the 12/73 Tampa show. I always enjoyed Two from the Vault more than the first (thought the first one is great). 

Exactly right-that's a very good nit to pick :headbonk