I love how everybody supports everybody else in getting there. :) rhino4evr, it will all be worth the effort! I would encourage you to stay for Sunday if at all possible - at every SSF I get turned on to some bands/musicians I had been unfamiliar with, and I'm always glad I was. So think about it, if your budget will allow for that. Sunday has a very nice, relaxed vibe to it as well.

Good luck finding a sitter!

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how everybody supports everybody else in getting there. :) rhino4evr, it will all be worth the effort! I would encourage you to stay for Sunday if at all possible - at every SSF I get turned on to some bands/musicians I had been unfamiliar with, and I'm always glad I was. So think about it, if your budget will allow for that. Sunday has a very nice, relaxed vibe to it as well.

Good luck finding a sitter!

Speaking of Sundays at SS, I'm sitting here watching Love for Levon, Larry singing Wheels On Fire, on AXS tv (dvr) as I read this. That was a great Sunday afternoon on Joe's Field.

That was wonderful. :yes I'm currently reading Levon's autobiography, "This Wheel's on Fire". What a story! Wow. Highly recommended!

I'll have to watch that.

I've been meaning to read that for a long time, and never have gotten to it. I understand Levon really rips on Robbie. I read Levon's wife Barbara wouldn't let Robbie play at the Love for Levon concert, even though he visited him in the hospital shortly before he passed.

Here comes Mavis to the stage at LfL.

Well id love to stay until Monday...but that not only costs more...but would also force us to take additional day off work. So I'm ok with leaving. Plus all the acts I really want to see are on Friday and Saturday...although I've always wanted to see Os Mutantes

By the way...sitter is confirmed...so I'm pretty sure ill be going. Pretty exciting

I just have to jump in here and say to Rhino, think twice before you decide for sure about leaving early. More than any other festival I've ever been to, Solid Sound feels like a coherent WEEKEND, not just a string of acts. In both previous years the final day was something really memorable that tied the whole experience together with a bow and a cherry on top.

The first year it was Jeff solo, then joined by various other musicians who had played over the weekend. (The only missing member of Wilco was Glenn, who had to leave early because of his wife's pregnancy). It was a perfect way to end the weekend.

Then in 2011, of course, it was Levon and his band, joined by everyone from Wilco for the last half of the set. Again, a great way to wrap up the whole weekend and leave everyone grinning from ear to ear.

They didn't announce these collaborations in advance, so you had to just be there and have faith that Wilco wasn't going to leave you hanging or feeling vaguely unsatisfied. Not that Jeff solo or Levon Helm would have been unsatisfying, but the way they brought everything together both years was really beautiful. If you're going to be making this trip for the first time and are paying for airfare, etc., I would really, really urge you to stick around for the final wrapup day.

Well I bought

My tickets still deciding on Sunday...argh..just many not be an option. Kind of asking a lot of my inlaws already...

Well I bought

My tickets still deciding on Sunday...argh..just many not be an option. Kind of asking a lot of my inlaws already...

I've been meaning to read that for a long time, and never have gotten to it. I understand Levon really rips on Robbie. I read Levon's wife Barbara wouldn't let Robbie play at the Love for Levon concert, even though he visited him in the hospital shortly before he passed.

Here comes Mavis to the stage at LfL.

Mavis!!! :)

I'm only about halfway through the book, but so far Levon's had virtually nothing but praise for Robbie. What scant criticism there's been has been levelled about equally between all the members, including Levon himself. There's no sugarcoating, but Levon writes with real generosity of spirit and empathy. We'll see whether that changes in the book's second half.

I just have to jump in here and say to Rhino, think twice before you decide for sure about leaving early. More than any other festival I've ever been to, Solid Sound feels like a coherent WEEKEND, not just a string of acts. In both previous years the final day was something really memorable that tied the whole experience together with a bow and a cherry on top.The first year it was Jeff solo, then joined by various other musicians who had played over the weekend. (The only missing member of Wilco was Glenn, who had to leave early because of his wife's pregnancy). It was a perfect way to end the weekend.Then in 2011, of course, it was Levon and his band, joined by everyone from Wilco for the last half of the set. Again, a great way to wrap up the whole weekend and leave everyone grinning from ear to ear.They didn't announce these collaborations in advance, so you had to just be there and have faith that Wilco wasn't going to leave you hanging or feeling vaguely unsatisfied. Not that Jeff solo or Levon Helm would have been unsatisfying, but the way they brought everything together both years was really beautiful. If you're going to be making this trip for the first time and are paying for airfare, etc., I would really, really urge you to stick around for the final wrapup day.

Don't mean to put pressure on you Rhino, but I got to echo everything said here. SS is an integrated whole, and Sunday is an integral piece.

Two days of Solid Sound > Zero days of Solid Sound

So you won't want to leave, and Sunday will wrap up the whole enchilada nicely. But you get to see Wilco twice, and many other acts to boot. Oh, and the art, the unique vibe of the Berkshires, the free yogurt and chips (one can hope for this again), the beer......the list goes on and on.

And by leaving Sunday, it will make you want to come back to the next one. Nothing wrong with that!

Yeah I'm excited. Going to be a surprise present for my wife and I Anniversery. Now I have to keep is a secret for 2 months! Argh!

Really excited to see Foxygen , Yo la Tengo, and White Denim as well

An who knows maybe we will go again when my daughter is a little older.

Yeah, I get all that. And I really want to stay the extra night,mbut some things are out of my control unfortunately.

Don't listen to them, Sunday's are a let down, you won't miss a thing!  Welcome to the SS High, ride the wave!  And when you do get to bring your kid you'll have the time of your life.

--- RHINO - STOP reading now.  ---

What the hell is wrong with you guys, obviously a lot of thought, energy and money went into just making these two days, let's not make them feel bad about missing a day, how about focusing on what an awesome time they'll have on the two days they are there.  Money, kids and scheduling, it's tough, believe me I know, I'm missing two Wilco related events this year because of that and I feel awful thinking about it.

It's been said before and I'll say it again: "Where there's a Wilco, there's a way!"

Sunday or not, you're in for a wonderful time, and your wife is a lucky woman. What a great surprise to spring on her!

I have a large room reserved at Maple Terrace, and i will be cancelling. It's very nice - 2 queen beds, they say its large. Pool on premisis and nice owner/operated. It is pricey (over $200 a night) and they require a 4-night stay. We stayed there last time, Holiday Inn first time. Shuttle bus stops right across the road and I recommend it.

Just putting it out there because I'm sure once I cancel it will be snatched up fast. Let me know if you are interested and we can transfer reservation and credit card to you :-)

See you there!!

these places requiring a 4 night stay are ridiculous...

Totally agree. It's normal to ask for a 2 night stay on weekends in season and even a 3 night stay on holiday weekends but a 4 night stay is really stretching it. 

Sorry--driving. What I was trying to say was I think the hotels are making it up as they go. I would call directly and see. This may not be a firm policy. I know other people staying there less than 4 nights.