To folks who've gone before...what are the longest sets that a non-headliner will play?

I'm curious as to where, when & for how long Yo La Tengo might be playing on Saturday?

I know there's inside & outside venues, etc. ...

Any ideas...?

The last two SS's, Wilco played Saturday night on Joe's Field, preceded by one opener.  Mavis Staples SS1 and Syl Sylvan SS2.  Everyone else played during the day at the various courtyards (AD was moved indoors SS1 for fear of rain).  I don't recall how long the sets were, but Wilco played a single long set without a break. 

I am guessing that YLT will be playing one of the outdoor courtyards sometime during the afternoon.  And that Neko Case will be playing on Joe's Field before Wilco? 

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm excited to see the days each performer will be playing too, but as usual there's also the angst about what I'll have to miss. Solid Sound does a better job than most festivals of not scheduling too many overlapping performances, but inevitably there's going to be something that's frustrating. For me, the biggest problem is wanting to be way up front during Wilco's sets, and invariably that means missing some other sets entirely so that I can be close to the front for Wilco. The first year they blocked off access to Joe's Field (the big stage) and had people line up behind a gate until sometime before the show. Then they opened the gate and there was a huge swarm of people flying across the field, leaving a trail of flip-flops in their wake. The second year they kept the field open most of the day, but to maintain your position you had to keep coming back and hanging out at your blanket area.

If, like me, you're motivated to be close to the stage, here's some advice: wear Keens or some other kind of shoes that are comfortable, will stay on your feet while running and that you can hose off if it's muddy or dusty. Drink beer strategically and/or take every opportunity you can to pee, because there will be looong streches when you're going to have to hold it. And keep a spare bottle of water on you at all times. I don't think all this applies if you're content to take it easy and be back in the middle of the crowd. Which, now that I think about it, sounds like good advice to myself!

The last two SS's, Wilco played Saturday night on Joe's Field, preceded by one opener.  Mavis Staples SS1 and Syl Sylvan SS2.  Everyone else played during the day at the various courtyards (AD was moved indoors SS1 for fear of rain).  I don't recall how long the sets were, but Wilco played a single long set without a break. 

I am guessing that YLT will be playing one of the outdoor courtyards sometime during the afternoon.  And that Neko Case will be playing on Joe's Field before Wilco? 

Syl Johnson, but whatever.

I pulled the program from SS2.  Everyone except Wilco got either 45 minutes or an hour.

Joe's Field was used on Sunday too:  SS1 for solo Tweedy, and SS2 for Levon Helm.  

I'm assuming MMW will be closing out the fest on the Field!

When I look at that Saturday lineup I wouldn't be surprised if they actually had more then just two acts on Joe's Field on Saturday, maybe they are moving towards a more traditional festival for Saturday?

I pulled the program from SS2.  Everyone except Wilco got either 45 minutes or an hour.

Joe's Field was used on Sunday too:  SS1 for solo Tweedy, and SS2 for Levon Helm.  

I'm assuming MMW will be closing out the fest on the Field!

And I assume whoever the headliner is on Sunday gets something like the amount of time that Wilco gets as headliner on Fri. & Sat.?

It's great that Yo La Tengo is playing at all. It's even better that they are playing two days in a row, with the film soundtrack & a regular set, but...amongst the embarrassment of riches that is this year's festival my only minor complaint is that Yo La Tengo isn't the closer on Sunday. As I've said here before their headlining show this year involves two sets- one ten song seated, mostly acoustic, a 30 min. break, & then a full, even longer, electric set (usually with an acoustic closer, or two somewhere in the encores).

I also love the new album, but with all the horn & string arrangements, you get to experience it with all new live arrangements. They did 8 songs, out of 10, from the new one on either of the two nights I saw them & that included changing up the arrangements where some songs were that done in the first set one night ended up in the second set the next, & this happened with some older songs too.

They vary their set lists on any given night, at least as much, if not even more than Wilco. They have the kind of command over their back catalog, just like Wilco, that they can pull out pretty much anything on any given night (in acoustic or electric versions), & they also boast that same command over an insane amount of covers (know Wilco used to do more with this, but not so much now- not better or worse, just different).

There's loads of impressive acts at Solid Sound, but being that I think Wilco & Yo La Tengo are the top two greatest working bands on the planet, live & otherwise, it was a just great opportunity to spotlight both of them, full force is all.

I wonder who will be closing the fest now?

hey guys...really trying to make this work this year. never been before...had some questions.

Trying to figure out the best plane/rent a car scenerio...

How far of a drive is it from NYC?

I booked a room at WIlliams Inn but its 200 a night....any other places you would recommend that are cheaper/not too far of a drive/and are still available? Is the WIlliams Inn nice? Seems kinda steep, but it was the first place I called, so I booked a room.

We plan on flying in Friday motning...and leaving sometime on Sunday..as most of the acts don't interest me on Sunday.

Williams Inn is a fairly upscale hotel. 

Did you see my link on a previous page? http://haflingerhaus.com/the-inn/

It's cheaper, just about as close and not well advertized (so may not be booked).

This may spur some activity: http://www.thetranscript.com/ci_22684808/mass-moca-encourages-locals-rent-their-extra-rooms

I'm not sure how far NYC is; I'd fly into Albany. 

hey guys...really trying to make this work this year. never been before...had some questions.

Trying to figure out the best plane/rent a car scenerio...

How far of a drive is it from NYC?

I booked a room at WIlliams Inn but its 200 a night....any other places you would recommend that are cheaper/not too far of a drive/and are still available? Is the WIlliams Inn nice? Seems kinda steep, but it was the first place I called, so I booked a room.

We plan on flying in Friday motning...and leaving sometime on Sunday..as most of the acts don't interest me on Sunday.

I've gone both years from just outside of NYC (westchester), and it's roughly a 4 hour drive for us, i'd probably tack on an extra half hour coming from the city.

what time do you all think the event will start on Friday?

I can get into Boston at 12..but It looks like I then have a 3 hour drive...but it's $200 cheaper then flying into Albany...which doesnt get me in until 1pm..only about an hour drive...

decisions decisions.