• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have been really inconsistent with their communication with me for the past two months or so. We stayed there last year and it was great; I was hoping to return this year, but I'm really not sure what's going on.
I'm staying at the Willows and Paul, the owner/manager there, said that his sister has just recently bought the Williamstown Motel, so I think that is what has led to the confusion in communication. Also, the family has just returned from a trip to India. If the whole family is as nice as Paul, I wouldn't be concerned about the management at the Williamstown Motel.

So it turns out that because of some personal circumstances,my wife and I can no longer attend Solid Sound this year. While we are very disappointed, we do plan to make it in the future. This year is just not turning out to be the one. I do, however, have my tickets, and am hoping to sell them to someone. I have (2) of the 3-Day Early Worm passes.

Could my fellow VCers perhaps recommend a good place to try and sell them?

That's a real bargain price for someone who hasn't already got their tickets. I would suggest seeing if you can post something to Facebook's Solid Sound Festival page, or to Wilco's page, if possible, or you could try the page I set up, Solid Sound 2013--it was intended to be an open group where people could hook up with travel arrangements, etc. Of course, most people on there have probably already got their tickets, but there might be a few people who were holding out based on cash flow. It couldn't hurt.

There's always craigslist, too, but there may not be much demand until closer to the event when lineup announcements are made.

So sorry you're not going to be able to make it.

It so happens I was suffering the cash flow problem at the time of sale and still need two tix.  I sent a PM.

So it turns out that because of some personal circumstances,my wife and I can no longer attend Solid Sound this year. While we are very disappointed, we do plan to make it in the future. This year is just not turning out to be the one. I do, however, have my tickets, and am hoping to sell them to someone. I have (2) of the 3-Day Early Worm passes.

Could my fellow VCers perhaps recommend a good place to try and sell them?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey folks, I'll be going to Solid Sound this year.  I'm looking to share a room with folks during my time there.  If you would be open to splitting the cost of a room with me, I would be most appreciative.  Feel free to pm me here if you are interested or open to sharing room space with me.  

This is from the official Yo La Tengo Website:

• Friday, June 21, 2013
    Solid Sound festival, Mass MOCA, North Adams MA

venue website

Festival takes place June 21-23.  In addition to a regular Yo La Tengo set, there will also be a performance of “The Love Song of R. Buckminster Fuller” with Sam Green.

It looks like, for better or worse, that YLT are playing on Friday at Solid Sound. It's not 100% confirmed, but it says so on their website...it also appears that they are playing the live soundtrack to the film that same Friday as well...sadly I'm betting that having them playing for the film, means they'll be the band playing right before Wilco & I'm betting that means a decent set, but not the two set headlining shows that I saw in Cleveland & Toronto.
    I did see them do the soundtrack for the film & then play a full show afterwards in Ithaca this last year, so you never know- & I don't know how Solid Sound runs- as in how long other acts play on the night's that Wilco is headlining. The show was a "Freewheelin' Yo La Tengo" show- seated, mostly acoustic, telling stories, answering questions & do requests...it was probably pretty close to 2 hours, & that was after handling the film soundtrack- they don't play the whole time the film is on, but they do play during most of it, and I think that ran 90+ minutes as well...and their film soundtrack work, including this one, is pretty great...interestingly they were asked when this one would be released, & they said they'd decided not to record & release this soundtrack, for whatever reasons, making the performances that much more special in a way...
    So we will be getting plenty of Yo La Tengo I'm sure, but honestly (especially since I've already seen the film & heard the soundtrack- though it will be cool to experience both a second time) I was really, really hoping they were going to be the headliner on Sunday (& maybe playing the film soundtrack on Saturday) & be playing the full two set show as Sunday's headliner...but now I don't think that's likely. Of course that does also mean that we'll probably get to see YLT & Wilco most likely back to back on Friday, which will be a rush & then some. I'm guessing that means Neko Case is headlining, with the long set I'd hoped Yo La Tengo would have had, on Sunday...but Neko Case is terrific & a heck of a consolation prize!

This shows YLT as playing on Sunday.  Which makes much more sense.

http://www.matadorrecords.com/yo_la_tengo/

I called Matador Records & this is the slightly confusing email I got back-

"Hey! So according to the label heads, they performance dates haven't been announced yet so they could play any of the three festival days but there will only be one performance which will be announced soon. Have a great weekend!"

I assume that this means that there is only day where they doing both of their two different performances (the live soundtrack & their regular set) on just one day.

I REALLY hope that they are the Sunday headliner.  I'll post here when I find out for sure what the deal is!!

I called Matador Records & this is the slightly confusing email I got back-

"Hey! So according to the label heads, they performance dates haven't been announced yet so they could play any of the three festival days but there will only be one performance which will be announced soon. Have a great weekend!"

I assume that this means that there is only day where they doing both of their two different performances (the live soundtrack & their regular set) on just one day.

I REALLY hope that they are the Sunday headliner.  I'll post here when I find out for sure what the deal is!!

OK, I need to ask, this live soundtrack thing, are they playing to a movie projected on a screen?  If that's the case I'm not seeing it as an outdoor Sunday thing, maybe they can do the small room inside for the movie and move outside for their set.

OK, I need to ask, this live soundtrack thing, are they playing to a movie projected on a screen?  If that's the case I'm not seeing it as an outdoor Sunday thing, maybe they can do the small room inside for the movie and move outside for their set.

I saw them do the soundtrack in Boston and I wonder if it could work outdoors.  The movie is more of a presentation with slides and there are film clips embedded into it.  The filmmaker is off to one side of the screen narrating and advancing the slides and YLT was over on the other side playing. 

So now the same website doesn't list a specific SS date for YLT.

http://www.matadorrecords.com/yo_la_tengo/

Actually it does...it's on the far right hand side, & it still says Sunday. Yo La Tengo's official website also still contradicts this & says Friday.

As far as the film soundtrack goes, I'm betting it's much more likely an inside showing. I saw it in Ithaca myself (at Cornell), and while it could be done outside, I doubt it. I think the film soundtrack will be played inside & their regular concert (whether it's on Friday or Sunday) will be outside.

Actually it does...it's on the far right hand side, & it still says Sunday. Yo La Tengo's official website also still contradicts this & says Friday.

As far as the film soundtrack goes, I'm betting it's much more likely an inside showing. I saw it in Ithaca myself (at Cornell), and while it could be done outside, I doubt it. I think the film soundtrack will be played inside & their regular concert (whether it's on Friday or Sunday) will be outside.

The numero group did a cool visual set in one of the out door court yard stages during SS I. If the weather is nice, i would prefer being outside. Nothing like fresh air, stars above, good music, and film all rolled into one.

The numero group did a cool visual set in one of the out door court yard stages during SS I. If the weather is nice, i would prefer being outside. Nothing like fresh air, stars above, good music, and film all rolled into one.

Good to know! I'm with you all the way, weather permitting, I'd much rather be outside for it too!!!

I'm betting that it'll be sun above, & not stars, though...because if they are doing the film on the same day that they are performing their regular set (as was indicated on both the YLT & Matador records official sites), then I'm betting they do the film soundtrack first (whether this on Friday- as it says on the YLT website or Sunday- as it is listed on the Matador site, or even Saturday- since the folks at Matador said the schedule isn't finished yet)...but at this point, who knows if maybe they might be playing more than one day- doesn't seem like it, but if things are up in the air...

If this year is like the previous years, the festival wraps up about around 6 on Sunday.  So the film would be inside since it wouldn't be dark yet.  And for Friday and Saturday the only way it could be done outside would be either in the Wilco opener slot or after Wilco is finished (like the Numero group the first year).

I haven't done a comparison, but feels like so much more music this year (at least music that I know of) that I'm very curious to see the actual schedule.  Assuming that MMW close on Joe's Field on Sunday.  I can't remember, did anyone play on Joe's Field on Friday before Wilco last time?  Where will YLT play on Saturday?  Still much to be revealed.

To folks who've gone before...what are the longest sets that a non-headliner will play?
I'm curious as to where, when & for how long Yo La Tengo might be playing on Saturday?
I know there's inside & outside venues, etc. ...
Any ideas...?