Philip Seymour Hoffman -- DEAD

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched a clip of him as Lester Bangs in Almost Famous.  Now I'm realizing that one of the nicer things in life was the thought that I would be able to enjoy his acting for many years.  Now a nice thing about life is gone.  A loss for sure.

My favorite roles are as the male nurse in Magnolia and the sound man in Boogie Nights.

Wow, that is terrible news. He was brilliant in Doubt, and Capote, too.

Addiction and alcoholism are progressive and fatal if not treated properly. Sadly, he knew what to do, but couldn't (or wouldn't do it). Three kids, too. Very sad. RIP

he was sober for over 20 years, relapsed about a year ago and immediately checked himself into rehab. seems like he knew exactly what to do, did it, and still couldnt beat addiction. makes it even scarier imo

I just watched a clip of him as Lester Bangs in Almost Famous.  Now I'm realizing that one of the nicer things in life was the thought that I would be able to enjoy his acting for many years.  Now a nice thing about life is gone.  A loss for sure.

thats one of my favourite movies of all time

50 bags of heroin. He wasn't fucking around.

If someone had 50 packets of SUGAR in their possession, it would be considered excessive.

I read 70 bags (about 50 unopened), with some being of strands out of circulation for a few years now. Doesn't really seem too excessive for someone who had a problem with the drug, considering how easy it is to get and how wealthy he was.

Relapse starts way before the person picks up a drink or drug. The actual using of a drink or drug is the end of the relapse process, not the beginning. One must be ever vigilant, no matter how many days or years of recovery have been accomplished.

Russell Brand's piece on this is really good:  http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2013/mar/09/russell-brand-life-without-drugs (from last year, not about PSH)