Tweedy - Sukierae

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all thanks to "The Inside Of The Outside" for the kind words. Here's a little something to keep the glass half full...

Here's the second song from the album for us to enjoy, "World Away". Even though I totally understand & appreciate the no camera rules (I don't do them at shows), I, paradoxically, also am very glad to have what has been documented as well. There are three videos from last night's show in Pittsburgh (this, "Spiders (Kidsmoke)" & "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart"- all taken by the same person) & one expects more stuff like this to show up from any of the Festival shows...

But I am disappointed that he's not playing much lead or electric on this tour.

Yeah, it kind of makes sense that he's playing acoustic all the time at this point.  Other than the drums, all of the instruments on the record were played by Jeff, so he really could approach the band interpretations of what they recorded from whichever instrument and teach everyone else the parts from the record.  The acoustic is probably the simplest way for him to hold down the chord progressions, follow the blueprint of the new songs, and focus on singing.  I wouldn't be shocked if an electric guitar comes out more as the tour goes on.  Meanwhile you get to hear a very competent electric guitarist play parts that Jeff wrote.

I definitely want to hear more of Jeff on lead guitar. I personally think having Nels there initiated the creative downturn of Wilco. But that's another topic. Looking forward to hearing the new stuff.

I will say 1000 percent that it must take MASSIVE cajones to go to some festival like this and play like TEN new songs in a row from the beginning!!!

I for sure cant think of ANY touring act now or in the past that would even attempt such a thing!

Anyone??

PS I already love World Away or whatever its called

I checked out "I'll Sing It'... My first reaction: 

5104.jpg

But I'll listen to it again.. Maybe I didn't listen to it correctly, because everyone else seems to be batshit over it.   

However, Spencer is the shit on drums..  He kind of has that old school, Levon Helm feel to his playing.  Apple doesn't fall far, etc... 

Another vote for Summer Noon. Already the sound of summer 2014 for me after a few listens courtesy of nyctaper on a lovely sunny day in London. Another top notch pop song to go with the likes of Magazine Called Sunset and Dawned On Me. Looking forward to the album version with a touch more bouncy production freshness.

So how many of the 20 new songs have been premiered now? Must be at least 5 still not heard?

Would love to know the history of these songs - all written in the last few months / some from the reported slew of songs written for The Whole Love / some that have already been discarded from those being considered for the next album (there were some initial sessions weren't there?) / random mixture with some resurrected from old notebooks as has happened before / etc. / etc.

Just saw this on a facebook post from The Loft: The TWEEDY double record "Sukierae" is set for release Sept 16th but you can catch the band live NOW and throughout the summer!

Did we previously know it was a double record?  Wonder if this means double vinyl / single CD, or an actual double album like Being There...

I will say 1000 percent that it must take MASSIVE cajones to go to some festival like this and play like TEN new songs in a row from the beginning!!!

I for sure cant think of ANY touring act now or in the past that would even attempt such a thing!

Anyone??

PS I already love World Away or whatever its called

Neil Young

Just saw this on a facebook post from The Loft: The TWEEDY double record "Sukierae" is set for release Sept 16th but you can catch the band live NOW and throughout the summer!

Did we previously know it was a double record?  Wonder if this means double vinyl / single CD, or an actual double album like Being There...

20 songs

I definitely want to hear more of Jeff on lead guitar. I personally think having Nels there initiated the creative downturn of Wilco. But that's another topic. Looking forward to hearing the new stuff.

i agree about Nels.  they had some great potential when he joined the band, but nothing has really panned out.  there's a reason AGIB and the loose fur records are killer…it's all Tweedy and and Kotche (of course O'Rourke has some say :-)

i agree about Nels.  they had some great potential when he joined the band, but nothing has really panned out.  there's a reason AGIB and the loose fur records are killer…it's all Tweedy and and Kotche (of course O'Rourke has some say :-)

I disagree with half of that, I think The Whole Love benefits hugely from Nels' inimitable style.  But I also think that when Tweedy has to step up as a lead guitarist he brings something very unique and human to the six strings.  Nels and O'Rourke have been quoted saying as much about Jeff's guitar playing.

When we listen to the record we'll hear Jeff on lead.  He's the only guitar player (bass player, keyboardist?) on there.

I hadn't heard anything beyond the single until this morning, but I found a compilation of (really excellent quality) live recordings from the band. Pleased with what I'm hearing so far.

While I enjoyed the most recent Wilco releases for the most part, I'm happy to hear the noise and weirdness and oddly structured songs employed more broadly. I think we've had enough time to cry on the sonic shoulder. More jagged guitar and drone-y goodness, please.

Some of it feels like it could fit on an imaginary, stretched-out version of the More Like the Moon/Australian EP. Which for me, is a very very good thing.

I haven't been in here in a long while so go easy on me, please!

How do you pronounce "Sukierae" and what does it mean/what's the derivation?

I've used all my powers of deduction to come up with this:

Su = Sue = his wife's name.

After that I'm lost.

All I got in my mind when I see the Sukierae is Vampire Bill from True Blood.  

has someone compiled all the live songs that have appeared so far (plus "I'll Sing It") for a list of potential tracks?

I have seen so far:

1. Desert Bell
  2. Diamond Light
  3. Down From Above
  4. Fake Fur Coat
  5. Flowering
  6. High As Hello
  7. Honey Combed
  8. I'll Sing It
  9. Low Key
  10. New Moon
  11. Nobody Dies Anymore
  12. Slow Love
  13. Summer Noon
  14. Wait For Love
  15. Where My Love
  16. World Away

The Tweedy setlist from Dallas is posted below. According to the poster, "Hazel" was the only song played that has not been played before. I was pretty encouraged by what I heard. The five-song stretch of Flowering, Hazel, Summer Noon, Honey Combed, and Desert Bell didn't really grab me. Of course, I was in the mezzanine towards the back and that might be more a result of where I was sitting. However, World Away sounded great and the band seemed energized once they played that one. The rest of the set was great. I'm anxious to hear the album now.

Down From Above*
Diamond Light*
Flowering*
Hazel* (first time played)
Summer Noon*
Honey Combed*
Desert Bell*
World Away*
New Moon*
Fake Fur Coat #
High As Hello*
Low Key*
Slow Love*
Nobody Dies Anymore*

I was at the Cain's show in Tulsa.

The highlights for me of the new stuff was definitely Diamond Light, New Moon, High as Hello and Nobody Dies Anymore.  Liked most of the other stuff, but those four really stood out for me.

Holy cow - I just realized that was my first post.  I've lurked here forever.... can't believe that was my first post, lol.