Tweedy - Sukierae

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am loving Wait for Love>Low Key. Terrific transition from dreamy folksiness into sweet pop sound. And the woo-hoo-hoos during the guitar solo in Low Key make my heart burst with happiness. That song has such a great seventies pop vibe!

Slow Love also sounds so, so good. When TWEEDY played it live, the effort to sing along, although fun, distracted me from really hearing the song. The intro sounds like frogs and crickets singing, or what my daughter called "outer space sounds." I didn't get a psychedelia feel from the song live, but I do in the studio version.

Back to the stream for more!

theres a bunch of good songs on here but it seems very poorly sequenced, especially towards the end. ill withhold judgment cuz maybe it has to do with the split between two discs, but right now it seems like this is an insanely frontloaded album. i see myself playing disc 1 a lot more than 2.

and the last song really bugs me. jeff has always been great at ending albums but this closing track just falls flat for me. its such an emotionally heavy album, i feel like it should come to a satisfying conclusion but it really doesnt for me.

thats what i figured. interesting idea but i think it does a disservice to some of the quieter songs. im sure id like some of them more if they were scattered between the more interesting tracks. as it is, i get bored towards the end of this album. dont see myself playign disc two a whole lot unfortunately.

def enjoy the first half of this though. 

While I can understand why most folks are leaning towards being more enamored with disc one:
(1. Please Don't Let Me Be So Understood 2. High as Hello 3. World Away 4. Diamond Light 5. Wait for Love 6. Low Key 7. Pigeons 8. Slow Love 9. Nobody Dies Anymore 10. I'll Sing It
)
And with nothing but full out & out winners there, & a wildly eclectic ride, it's easy to understand more the immediate enthusiasm for the first one....but...the pleasures of disc two are many & varied as well...

So let's examine some of those merits of that second disc:
(1. Flowering 2. Desert Bell 3. Summer Noon 4. Honey Combed 5. New Moon 6. Down from Above 7. Where My Love 8. Fake Fur Coat 9. Hazel 10. I'll Never Know
)
It's a different ride, darker & more challenging ride here to be sure, but, for me, nearly as rewarding & engaging, in it's own unique way, as disc one & personally I appreciate the contrast of those differences. So just a quick inventory we are talking about an album with "Summer Noon", "Flowering", "Honey Combed" (possibly my favorite track on the album), "New Moon", "Where My Love", "Fake Fur Coat", & "I'll Never Know" on it. That's an incredible roll call right there. I'll get to the three that are MIA & not on the list here later, but let me say that even the lesser songs on this platter are still good ones...and...that any album with those 7 amazing tracks on it hangs in the highest regard.

For me the later half trilogy of-" 7. Pigeons 8. Slow Love 9. Nobody Dies Anymore"- on disc one hints at, & sets the stage for the approaching terrain of disc two. The more somber flavor of disc two makes more sense coming second & having that contrast I think works to the overall double album listening experience. For me what might have helped just a little bit to perfect that truly pretty nearly perfect balance a bit (& mind you, quality wise, I think it is plenty well balanced  & heavily loaded with excess of riches on each of the two albums) would have been if he's traded out one of those songs in that later side one trilogy for one of the three weaker songs on the second disc.

My quibblings with disc 2 are minor at best..Dealing with the lesser side, here's some perspective..of the three tracks that I care for the least, but still like plenty, all are on disc two (tracks 2, 6 & 9). They are evenly spaced so as to not cause a larger lull, but on the other hand they create consistent minor bumps- and I stress minor. I actually dig "Down From Above" in it's live incarnation a lot, & maybe if I hadn't have heard that first, I would appreciate the studio version more, but because of that situation it feels like a little bit of a letdown & a comparative lull- though it's still at least a good track. "Desert Bell" I'm actually pretty fond of too...it's just that it's outshined by similar songs on the album stylistically & suffers seemingly a little paler in comparison with so many ofter more radiant works on the album. "Hazel" may be my least fave, but again having your least fave still be good speaks of well of the complete package.

A recent taping of Sound Opinions, in Chicago, gave us 4 live performances of songs from the forthcoming album "Sukierae", that you'll most certainly be hearing as part of the 1st half (full band electric) of the upcoming shows (2nd half is solo acoustic- then encores featuring both)- 
"Summer Noon": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iUKBxA7dDw 
"Flowering": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgPi4WhJjms
"Low Key": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxtoNcd3nqw
"Diamond Light": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gENlj1DkMME

I'm listening to this via NPR's stream and loving it all. How majestic does Slow Love sound? New Moon has guitar explosions that seem to come out of nowhere. Diamond Light is amazing. And I really dig all of the tunes with Lucius. Fake Fur Coat is a masterpiece. 

I'm about halfway through my first listen via a stream on The Guardian site.

My first reaction is that many of the songs have very "different" sonic things going on, which is definitely engaging and makes for very interesting listening. This is a good thing.

I forgot to check the mail yesterday so was pleased to find Sukirae in the mailbox today! It travelled a whole 20 mins from Raleigh, NC to Apex, NC. Still didn't think it would arrive so soon.

I am definitely enjoying this release; namely the album's lyrics. It's almost like a return to the AGIB/ Loose Fur/ Adult Head era. The music is engaging as well but still allows the words to work their magic. Great stuff!