Now Reading in 2016

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reading Thirteen Ways of Looking by Colum McCann. It is a short story collection. The first few have been great.

I'm a big fan of McCann and liked that book.  

The (true) story of him getting attacked that he mentions in the forward (or maybe the afterward) is pretty tough.  

I'm a big fan of McCann and liked that book.  

The (true) story of him getting attacked that he mentions in the forward (or maybe the afterward) is pretty tough.  

Yes, I need to read about that now. Just finished the book and saw his note about there being that event.

Just finished Hot Burritios.  After reading it i'm not a huge fan of Mr Hillman.  he seems overly bitter about Parsons.  I almost put the book down before I even finished the introduction. {arsons had his faults, drinking and drugging being big ones, but Hillman could not seem to bring up Parsons without spewing venom.   I know hes not a huge fan of how parsons legend has grown and been embellished but he goes just as far in the other direction.  Also every time something goes wrong he pins blame on whoever is at hand.  Other than Hillman though, the book was not bad.

We Gotta Get Out of This Place: The Soundtrack of the Vietnam War

Found in the book exchange in a cruise ship library.  It's been quiet a good read.

Nice. My favorite.

I'm only 1/4 way through but this guy may be my new favorite modern writer. God damn is he efficient. Has the almost unsettling frankness that reminds me of Vonnegut, but his phrasing is so unique and colorful. Felt like I KNEW the characters just pages in. He's really something.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm at a loss to describe how much I dig this writer.

Excellent, glad you appreciate him. A buddy from VA, who used to own a bookstore in Roanoke, turned me on to him after he met him as a customer, and found out he was a "local" writer. They became friends and I believe Martin even included him as a very minor character in one of his books.

I've yet to read his most recent one, The Jezebel Remedy but look forward to it.

Jus finished Trouble Boys about the Replacements. So good, so fucking heartbreaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just started reading that. I got it in e-book form from my public library. My first thought was - how can there be a 600 page book about The Replacements. I can see this guy is going the route of starting with the family background. I just got up to the SNL appearance.

I just started reading that. I got it in e-book form from my public library. My first thought was - how can there be a 600 page book about The Replacements. I can see this guy is going the route of starting with the family background. I just got up to the SNL appearance.

More than 100 pages of notes and index. The hard copy is 435 of text. The backgrounds of the Stinsons - especially Bob - was harrowing. If I knew Tommy and Bob were just half brothers, I'd forgotten.

• 4 weeks later...

Just read Kidnapped by RLS. Really good. I love reading about Scottish history like the Jacobite rebellion. Daughter is currently at U of Glasgow. Amazing history for a country the size of Colorado.

Just finished this. Comparable to other tragicomic cocaine-fueled yuppie satires of the '80s but having a main character with a conscience, dealing with loss and the search for human connection. Can be read just for the comedy but there's more there for those who want it. A little short. 3.5/5.

86147.jpg

Almost half way through a classic. Unlike anything I've ever read.:

249.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

"Black Moon" by K. Calhoun. Insomnia sweeps the globe. Those few who remain able to sleep are in mortal danger from the crazed insomniacs.

Fun read so far.

McInerney was on NPR's "Fresh Air" this week - it was nice interview.

Just finished this. Comparable to other tragicomic cocaine-fueled yuppie satires of the '80s but having a main character with a conscience, dealing with loss and the search for human connection. Can be read just for the comedy but there's more there for those who want it. A little short. 3.5/5.

86147.jpg