Now Watching 2017

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, how did you make it through the first season, and then actually want to push it beyond that??

Ha! You didn't like it?  The person who recommended it to me told me it was bleak but also said season 2 was the best season.  I liked Linden and Holder as characters.  And after season 1 I had to keep watching to learn what happened!

Ha! You didn't like it?  The person who recommended it to me told me it was bleak but also said season 2 was the best season.  I liked Linden and Holder as characters.  And after season 1 I had to keep watching to learn what happened!

I'm trying to remember what we didn't like about it - something about how in season one, every episode had a brand new suspect, and then it was like NOPE. 

I think my wife guessed at the real guilty party after the Neko Case song made an appearance, thinking it was a clue...

Crashing (on Netflix).  From the writer/creator of the excellent Fleabag.  Easy binge watch at six 23 minute episodes. Slightly unsatisfying ending, but an enjoyable show all in all.

Really enjoyed Fleabag.  Phoebe Waller-Bridge is terrific.  Crashing looks good, too.  I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip. 

• 2 weeks later...

Having seen all of them, which one would you pick?

I tried to whittle it down last night, and this year it's tough to do. They're all very good movies. If I had to pick the one that impacted me the most emotionally, I'd pick "Hacksaw Ridge." As for my favorite among them, I don't think I have one. There really wasn't one that stood out as being better than the rest. I could probably pick three or four that I'd most like to see again: "Arrival," Hell or High Water," "Hidden Figures" and "Hacksaw Ridge." Maybe that's a testament to the quality of this year's nominees.

If I was a betting man my money would be on "Moonlight" because of its story (which really is pretty unique) or "La La Land" because of its nod to old Hollywood. 

• 2 weeks later...

We are halfway into the second season of Breaking Bad. I know I've said this a million times but damn, Cranston is a hell of an actor

We are halfway into the second season of Breaking Bad. I know I've said this a million times but damn, Cranston is a hell of an actor

I take it you are watching it for the first time? if so, I envy you! That show creates its own world and sucks you right in. Enjoy! And you're right, Cranston is amazing.

Did you see Sneaky Pete? I thought his acting wasn't great there. Was surprised to come to that conclusion given Walter White performance

Fleabag was indeed great.

I think Patriot is my favorite show in a long time. I am also likely the only person who feels this way. I will be watching the whole season again soon.

M*A*S*H starts up great but kinda jumps the shark by the last couple of seasons.

The end of Season 3 was a real breakthrough for comedies in the 70"s.

But no spoilers!

I feel like I'm being racist to say that I didn't think Moonlight should have won.

I haven't seen Hacksaw Ridge or Fences, but I thought La La Land and Manchester By The Sea were better movies than Moonlight.

Actually, I thought Elle was the best movie of the year, simply because (at least for a while) I had a hard time understanding the lead character's motivations and reactions.

^^ I felt that Moonlight was a better movie than La La Land simply by the amount of discussion it generated between me and my wife. Neither of us were that impressed with La La Land - it was pretty neatly wrapped. 

We didn't care for Hacksaw Ridge either. We felt that we had "seen that movie" already, many times before.