Bands you saw early on who became big?

Which clubs in NH? Nothing springs to mind immediately. I live in NH & can only think of a few bars or theaters in the bigger cities. I did some research and noticed a show in Newmarket.

Yeah, Newmarket (Stone Church). Saw them at The Wetlands a couple times, too, in 89 or 90 and The Barrel House in Salem, VA in '90 or so.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sturgill Simpson - saw him at the Thirsty Hippo, a very small bar in Hattiesburg, Mississippi in November of 2014.

The Strokes - saw them at Hal & Mal's in Jackson, Mississippi in 2001 or early 2002.

Shovels & Rope - saw them at Soul Kitchen in Mobile, Alabama in January of 2015.

Counting Crows - saw them at Tipitina's in New Orleans in the spring of 1994. 

I saw them at Red Rocks opening for Sheryl Crow that year (1997) as my first live Wilco experience. 

I saw Wilco Open for SC but at Sunrise Musical Theatre in Sunrise Florida.  I also saw them in 1995 open for the Jayhawks (loved TTGG and never heard of Wilco).

Others that come to mind:

Black Crowes opened for Robert Plant.  I had heard Twice as Hard and felt like they were pretty good.  Crowd basically booed them off.  Chris was not Happy.

Radiohead opened for REM on Monster Tour.  Some guy outside begging for tickets only cared about Radiohead.

I am sure many others just can't think now....I will add if I come up with others.

U2 for 10p at Exeter Uni Student Union. Half the time thinking Bono was a twat, half the time loving the show. Been about the same ever since.

Florence and the Machine - third on bill, just her and a guitarist, with lyrics written on her wrist in biro. Definitely had a presence. Was about 30 people there.

The National - Boxer release instore show/party May 2007. They hung around drinking afterwards, which was nice. Saw them couple of days later at a normal venue.

The only one that immediately springs to mind is R.E.M. at a gymnasium (?) at Drew University (Madison, NJ, but you know that ;) ) somewhere in the mid 80's. Michael Stipe gave us Chinese food through a window while we were waiting to get in, LOL

Green Day at Gilman Street in Berkeley.  Around 1989.  Other bands on the bill were Sam I Am and I think Mr. T Experience (but maybe not).  I didn't know who Green Day were and spent a lot of time outside the club talking to people.  They exploded shortly thereafter.

A band I was in opened for Third Eye Blind at some little club in San Francisco.  I wasn't in the band at the time.  Evidently it was not a pleasant experience: small crowd and the singer for Third Eye Blind was kind of upset things.

The only one that immediately springs to mind is R.E.M. at a gymnasium (?) at Drew University (Madison, NJ, but you know that ;) ) somewhere in the mid 80's. Michael Stipe gave us Chinese food through a window while we were waiting to get in, LOL

Nice

Pixies at the Chameleon Club, Lancaster PA in 1989. The opening band was Public Affection who later changed their name to Live.

Mental jewelry was s great album that's neat

The closest I've got is seeing Ben Kweller open up for the likes of Jeff Tweedy (Irving Plaza) and Rhett Miller (Fez Under Time Cafe) in 2001, and also on his own at a number of very small NYC clubs, and then headlining Town Hall NYC (capacity 1500) around 2008? 

I did catch My Morning Jacket opening for Ben Kweller in 2002 at Bowery Ballroom, and Kings of Leon, also opening for Ben Kweller, at Irving Plaza (2004), but I never followed those bands on their own. I actually saw MMJ as an opener a number of times through the mid-2000s.

The closest I've got is seeing Ben Kweller open up for the likes of Jeff Tweedy (Irving Plaza) and Rhett Miller (Fez Under Time Cafe) in 2001, and also on his own at a number of very small NYC clubs, and then headlining Town Hall NYC (capacity 1500) around 2008?

I did catch My Morning Jacket opening for Ben Kweller in 2002 at Bowery Ballroom, and Kings of Leon, also opening for Ben Kweller, at Irving Plaza (2004), but I never followed those bands on their own. I actually saw MMJ as an opener a number of times through the mid-2000s.

I saw Ben kweller open for belle and Sebastian in 2003?? Seen Ben a dozen times since

Black Crowes opened for Robert Plant.  I had heard Twice as Hard and felt like they were pretty good.  Crowd basically booed them off.  Chris was not Happy.

I saw that tour also. It's the only time I ever saw the Black Crowes.

Which reminds me, we saw R.E.M. at the Harvard gym. Must have been soon after Murmur came out, maybe Reckoning. The thing about that show is Husker Du opened, at that point I didn't know them and we hung outside and got ready for R.E.M. Just a few months later I was listening to Husker Du and was kicking myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

earliest I saw REM was spring of '85, on the Fables of the Preconstruction tour. Spring weekend blowout at college. fun times.

I saw REM at BU in the summer of '85.

I saw the Pixies opening for Throwing Muses twice, including once before Come On Pilgrim had been released.

Arcade Fire and White Stripes (separately) in a big club.

Damn, you guys have such cool stories. The only thing I can find in all my concert history that fits this narrative is a band I don't even like: Matchbox 20. I saw them at a festival here in Florida in 1996 where they were pretty much at the bottom of the bill. The other acts included Joan Osborne, Ratdog, and Chris Isaak. Of course, within a year or two, these guys went on to become absolutely huge, but they did nothing for me.

a friend of mine had a ticket to see Arcade Fire when they played TTs but he blew it off.

i think the first time i saw the Pixies was at the Paradise w/ Throwing Muses as well, but maybe not? 

My cousin told me to go see Arcade Fire at TTs and I ignored his advice.  I saw them at the Royale on their second swing through for Funeral.

I saw the Pixies open for Throwing Muses at the Rat (summer '87) and then at the Ritz in NYC (spring '88). I also saw Pixies headline at the Rat, TTs, and the Paradise in the '88-'90 timeframe.  

Hey Lammy, wasn't it Mojo Nixon who played at your 5th wedding?

An appropriate choice of musical entertainment for a 5th wedding.