• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is anyone other than me not really alarmed by the way Trump interacts with North Korea? I disagree strongly with just about every action this guy takes on everything, but the name-calling and dick-measuring game he's playing with Kim Jong Un feels, I don't know, kind of...benign, incredibly. I know it might sound insane, but I do not find myself all that scared of a nuclear war starting over all this.

Is anyone other than me not really alarmed by the way Trump interacts with North Korea? I disagree strongly with just about every action this guy takes on everything, but the name-calling and dick-measuring game he's playing with Kim Jong Un feels, I don't know, kind of...benign, incredibly. I know it might sound insane, but I do not find myself all that scared of a nuclear war starting over all this.

I think your reaction, and its opposite both to be defensible. It's hard to estimate the facade vs. recklessness ratio of either of these jokers. I hope you're correct.

Trump seems to unleash his most whacked out tweets as diversions, or so it seems. Are these latest tweets sent to divert attention away from Bannons comments in his book? Are they to divert attention away from the news that the FBI has been investigating and had someone inside the Trump

Campaign since 2016? Or is there something worse coming down the pipe for trump?

Also a few weeks ago Russia told the US to tone down the NK rhetoric...and it was toned down for about a month. Trump will not go to war against Putin’s wishes. Remember trumps outrage about the Chinese sending oil to NK? Not one word about Russia sending oil. So I don’t think it’s anything more than crazy tucked up posturing.

A fresh new thread for our fresh new apocalypse (or whatever comes next) at the suggestion of ih8music!

Let's hope that at year's end, this thread will tell a happier story than last year's. Buckle up, everybody, it's bound to be a wild ride!

You know, any of us who lived in CT, NY or NJ anytime in the last 30 years have known - all that time - what a turd this guy was. Total ignoramus. Not remotely qualified to even run for mayor of Anytown, USA.

Every single person who voted for this douchenozzle has a lot to answer for. A LOT.

They didn't do their due diligence...If they had, they would have voted for someone else. Anyone else.

I may eventually forgive those who voted for him, but I will never, ever forget. 

I can't help but find the Bannon-Trump kerfuffle to be totally captivating. First because it's a rare time where I agree with Bannon (even if they didn't realize the meeting was treasonous (it was), they should have been smart enough to contact the FBI immediately) on anything. Second because the soap-opera of scandal that is the Trump administration is defined by, and self-sabotaged by a continuous stream of in-fighting. There is no unified effort amongst these bastards, just a twinkling cluster of briefly aligned agendas that burn out in a burst of narcissism and backstabbing.

On a simply procedural note, when your right-hand man throws you under the bus during a Federal investigation shit is getting real.

I definitely don't have the legal expertise to state whether or not there is a case here that could really stop the book from being published. I do know politically this looks really bad, and commercially this is probably a boost for the author.

I believe this little obstacle called "The First Amendment" will defeat Trump's gambit.  He can sue for defamation, but he can't prevent the publication of the book.  

I believe this little obstacle called "The First Amendment" will defeat Trump's gambit.  He can sue for defamation, but he can't prevent the publication of the book.  

Well he can threaten to sue for defamation if the book is published, which might scare the publishers and therein prevent publication. The author says he has recorded interviews, so they might feel like they could beat down a defamation suit by proving the statements as factual. I suppose it might come down to legal fees, which Trump has definitely tried to use his war chest to wear down legal opposition before.

Imagine though if it went to court and a judge slapped it down. You couldn't ask for a better advertisement for a "tell all" book.

I am no law talking dude, but I think Bannon signed a Non Disclosure Agreement.  Which could complicate things.  But Trump threatens to sue people like he drinks diet coke.  So I am not sure what if anything this means.  

Since Trump has sued or at least threaten to sue every person that he has come in contact with  - I am assuming the publisher has done their due diligence knowing that this was going to happen - Henry Holt & Company has been around forever. 

^ Good point. The name of the game in any book like this is research, and good research is their strongest legal defense. According to wikipedia (can everyone tell I'm sitting at the shop waiting to get my brakes done?) for it to be libel it has to be false, harmful, and without adequate research. Takes all three to prove defamation against a public official.

Perhaps the more important question is if the alleged Non Disclosure would only affect Bannon for what he shared, or also the writer with whom he shared it. Don't think I'll get that one off wikipedia.

^ Good point. The name of the game in any book like this is research, and good research is their strongest legal defense. According to wikipedia (can everyone tell I'm sitting at the shop waiting to get my brakes done?) for it to be libel it has to be false, harmful, and without adequate research. Takes all three to prove defamation against a public official.

Perhaps the more important question is if the alleged Non Disclosure would only affect Bannon for what he shared, or also the writer with whom he shared it. Don't think I'll get that one off wikipedia.

Bannon is the only party to his non-disclosure agreement, not the publisher, and not Wolff.

It's not the publisher's issue. 

^^ Exactly right, Winston.  The non-disclosure is a contractual matter between Bannon and Trump.  As a public figure, Trump would have to prove not only that the statements at issue are false, but were made with malice or reckless disregard for the truth.  Hard to prove.